nicholas yu

Default 2 Q: drum track isolation , drum mic care and feeding

Hi -

Just wondering, how well should one be able to isolate close mic drum
tracks? I get about 12dB seperation with my SM57's... Of course
isolation isn't the sole consideration in getting the drum sound but
I'm just curious if maybe I'm doing something drastically wrong...
Sounds okay to me... but I seem to remember when I've been in studios
that there was better isolation than that, but I can't really
remember...

Also, anyone have any comments about about leaving the drum mics set
up (in an air-conditioned room, stable 70F 50RH)? Do you think this
might have any appreciable effect on wear, especially for the OH
condensors? I don't smoke in there and I put lay little cloths over
them when I'm done, but what about the humidity? I remember reading a
thread about this a while ago but I can't find it anymore.

Thanks newsgroup peoples!