J Warren

Default HiMD update

I've been pestering SONY tech support for a few weeks to find out why
pcm recordings I make on my HiMD unit vanish after I transfer them (via
USB) to my PC. Never did get a satisfactory answer from them, but a
contributor to the alt.audio.minidisc NG solved the problem. There's a
checkbox in the Transfer dialog that instructs SonicStage to leave the
original recordings on the MD alone. It works. I had had good luck
transferring pcm recordings and then converting them with SONY's Wave
Convertor program, but was miffed that SonicStage was deleting them
after the transfer. That's no longer an issue.

So, I'm pleased. I have recorded my wife's vocal group with the HiMD
unit by connecting it to the mixer. It's only two tracks, and not
stereo, since I'm recording the PA feed, but the quality is adequate for
our purposes. I recorded some silence--mixer gain all the way down--to
see how much noise was sneaking through (or getting generated by the
HiMD MZ-NH900). Sound Forge reports that it's below -70dB in the
converted .wav file. Listening with phones with the gain WAY up doesn't
disclose anything objectionable - no digital rattles, hum, etc.

Jason
Edi Zubovic

On 27 Nov 2004 08:04:04 -0500, (Mike Rivers)
wrote:
------------8----------------------

So how does this work? The HiMD records a PCM file that's something
other than a WAV format, you transfer this to your PC, and then run
another program to convert it to WAV? Or does the SonicStage program
convert it in the transfer process?

HiMD records PCM in a file with the proprietary extension "*.oma". Up
to recently, Sonic Stage hasn't even been capable of transferring it
to any other usable format; it merely offered listening to a
transferred recording with its own player. It's a totally useless
approach. Oh yes, it offered burning a "ATRAC-CD" (???), the kind of
CD writing I don't bother to think about and I don't frankly know
where I could listen to such Atrac CD's. I hastened to get the burner
application off from the Windows startup. But soon a good soul has
made a free downloadable convertor program which is converting the
"*.omg" to *.wav format. Upon a public demand, and following some sane
logics, and probably seeing that out there there is something they
call the I-Pod, Sony published their own OMA-to-WAW converter which
works well. You can access the attached a Sony HiMD (with either a 1
GB HiMD disk or a normal Minidisc formatted to abt 360 MB) as the file
structure is FAT32. But you can't do much with the audio file formats.
It seems rather silly for deleting the file on the Minidisk after a
transfer to be the default. After all, the only reason to use a
recorder with removable/cheap-enough-to-store media over something
that records to a hard drive or flash card is that you can put the
disk on the shelf and load its files some time in the future. But if
there's a non-standard or proprietary format recorded on the disk, I
wouldn't count on it being a very effective shelf copy. Might as well
delete it so you're not tempted to store it for posterity.

I've rarely seen more paranoic approach as to copy protecting other
than Sonic Stage. You can only from within the program transfer the
files via USB 1.1. They call it High Speed but I call it Somewhat
Higher Speed. Nevertheless, a transfer is digital w/o further
conversions and that's good enough. For a 1 hr. 25. min 44/16 file you
need abt. an hour to transfer. There are some other limitations as to
what kind of files and from what sources one can upload/download the
music but I'm satisfied that I can do own uncompressed PCM recordings
so I didn't study in detail what I can do and what I can't.
The program is so weird that it calls a Sony database via Internet not
only at the first install but also later, as it seems fit (perhaps
after defragmeting, a work with the registry or so). It refuses to
load until the Internet connection is established and it checks its
status in the database.

It offers to you some music to buy from the Internet (why should I),
as well.

I think Sony could make some more money to make things easier to eg.
broadcast people which could handle makeshift but quite quality
recordings on the spot and transfer it for broadcast by drag and drop.
But, naay... "It's a Sony".

From the techincal/hardware side, the MZ-NH1 is a little gem, though.

Edi Zubovic, Crikvenica, Croatia
Mike Rivers

In article writes:

I've rarely seen more paranoic approach as to copy protecting other
than Sonic Stage. You can only from within the program transfer the
files via USB 1.1.

Well, the original Sony NetMD would certainly qualify. That was the
system that wouldn't let you transfer a file out of the USB port at
all unless it go on the Minidisk from the computer. In other words, no
file transfers of original recordings.

For a 1 hr. 25. min 44/16 file you
need abt. an hour to transfer.

Sounds like a project for when you're around doing something else. On
the Jukebox 3, a USB 1.1 transfer of an hour's worth of recording
takes about 15 minutes, give or take a cup of coffee. I understand
that Firewire is much faster, but I don't have a computer with a
Firewire port so I haven't experienced it.

The program is so weird that it calls a Sony database via Internet not
only at the first install but also later, as it seems fit (perhaps
after defragmeting, a work with the registry or so). It refuses to
load until the Internet connection is established and it checks its
status in the database.

Well, I guess that makes it useless in a field application unless you
happen to have a phone line or a wireless Internet connection. So is
there any advantage of the HiMD over some other media (other than
perhaps that it sounds better than a cassette)? Curious minds want to
know what Sony was thinking of, and why some perfectly respectable
people were waiting for this technology with baited breath.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Mark

J Warren wrote in message ...
[...]

Have you compared the ATRAC mode to the PCM mode?

Can you hear a difference?

Really?

Mark
Edi Zubovic

On 27 Nov 2004 18:48:27 -0500, (Mike Rivers)
wrote:

In article writes:

I've rarely seen more paranoic approach as to copy protecting other
than Sonic Stage. You can only from within the program transfer the
files via USB 1.1.

Well, the original Sony NetMD would certainly qualify. That was the
system that wouldn't let you transfer a file out of the USB port at
all unless it go on the Minidisk from the computer. In other words, no
file transfers of original recordings.

{Sigh}. Even RIAA would say that's too much.

For a 1 hr. 25. min 44/16 file you
need abt. an hour to transfer.

Sounds like a project for when you're around doing something else. On
the Jukebox 3, a USB 1.1 transfer of an hour's worth of recording
takes about 15 minutes, give or take a cup of coffee. I understand
that Firewire is much faster, but I don't have a computer with a
Firewire port so I haven't experienced it.

First I've seen that the transfer is USB 1.1 I thought what the heck,
it should be the USB 2. But soon I realized there's no need for a
higher bandwidth when I saw the device softly rattling a little, then
flashing the red LED a little as the buffers fill and empty. Oh, well.
I can't afford a Nagra V and yes, there are other solutions already
present competing to the HiMD as to portability. As to Firewire, it
may be as broad as the USB 2 or thereabouts. I have a Plextor external
DVD burner connected via Firewire and it's working well at all
situations, not limited by the maximum data amount the Plextor can
give and receive. But consider a diskette drive connected to the USB,
that' s I think roughly the HiMD. Not much kb per sec -- until and if
I find out that I've done something not quite properly in connecting
the device, what I doubt but OK...

The program is so weird that it calls a Sony database via Internet not
only at the first install but also later, as it seems fit (perhaps
after defragmeting, a work with the registry or so). It refuses to
load until the Internet connection is established and it checks its
status in the database.

Well, I guess that makes it useless in a field application unless you
happen to have a phone line or a wireless Internet connection. So is
there any advantage of the HiMD over some other media (other than
perhaps that it sounds better than a cassette)? Curious minds want to
know what Sony was thinking of, and why some perfectly respectable
people were waiting for this technology with baited breath.

Well, let me speculate -- now when Sony has acquired quite huge and
known names in entertainment industry, they think they should control
the world's distribution. C'mon Sony. The situation is not at all that
black to force you to hamper your customers this way. I think that
Sony tries by all means to limit copying of PCM data which are
regarded as being the 1:1 copy of masters or commercial CDs. ATRAC is
allowed to handle with a little bit more freely as it is compressed
and changes the sound -- a little but it does. I see the HiMD as a
poor man's portable hard disk recorder giving quite fine results (it
seems the electronics and A/D converters are OK; it all is new and I
think that Sony had rarely issues concerning their hardware
engineering and R&D). So I would have been happy to get a still
another external unit to show in the, say Windows Explorer, where I
could see, and handle with, the wav files -- and other data -- I
downloaded or uploaded, no matter; and OK, notwhitstanding the slow
transfer speeds. That I can copy everything regardless and usual copy
protection and copyrights depends on my ethics firstly. And then there
is the law. Sony's own control isn't that needed to set me back in
doing my own recordings. And I would register with Sony as a customer
if I want to and no, I don't want my PC to be sniffed without my
knowledge and yes by jingo I want to have my paid software functioning
as I expect in all situations and everywhere. And I certainly don't
expect to be [____ you fill] off because I don't have an Internet
connection handy.

Edi Zubovic, Crikvenica, Croatia

wrote:
[...]

From the techincal/hardware side, the MZ-NH1 is a little gem, though.

Edi Zubovic, Crikvenica, Croatia

Thanks for your review, it is very helpful.
Paul

Edi Zubovic edi.zubovic[rem wrote in message . ..

(snippage)

Oh, well.
I can't afford a Nagra V and yes, there are other solutions already
present competing to the HiMD as to portability.

Apart from flash media recorders, old-style Creative Nomad jukeboxes
with built-in line inputs and laptops with external audio interfaces,
what is there? AFAIK, the newer portables (Ipods, Nomad jukeboxes,
etc.) cannot record from a mic or line input.
Frank Vuotto

(Mike Rivers) wrote in message news:znr1101649147k@trad...

Could be that they own more intellectual property (music, film and
video) than any other electronic hardware manufacturer.

Well, they act like they own MINE too. All I want is easy access to my
own original recordings.

Frank /~ http://newmex.com/f10
@/

Len Moskowitz

Edi Zubovic edi.zubovic[rem wrote:

From the techincal/hardware side, the MZ-NH1 is a little gem, though.

I'm not surprised to read about the way Sony has crippled data transfer
out of their Hi-MD recorders and how they've selected a proprietrary
data format. Sony has no interest in making high quality home recording
and copying easy.

Following Sony's usual consumer product script, the MZ-NH1 will be
discontinued in roughly a year, not be economical to repair once it's
out of warranty, and parts for it will not be stocked after roughly
three years.

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

Len Moskowitz

Paul wrote:

Apart from flash media recorders, old-style Creative Nomad jukeboxes
with built-in line inputs and laptops with external audio interfaces,
what is there? AFAIK, the newer portables (Ipods, Nomad jukeboxes,
etc.) cannot record from a mic or line input.

You might have a look at our PDAudio system:

www.core-sound.com/HighResRecorderNews.html

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912
james of tucson

On 2004-11-27, Mike Rivers wrote:

Well, the original Sony NetMD would certainly qualify. That was the
system that wouldn't let you transfer a file out of the USB port at
all unless it go on the Minidisk from the computer. In other words, no
file transfers of original recordings.

I have a problem with anything that seeks to lock me out of my OWN
recordings of my OWN music.

It's their right to swing their fist, until it hits my nose. Their
copy protection infringes my rights when it forbids me to access my
own music.

Sony missed an opportunity to revolutionize the home recording industry here.

james of tucson

On 2004-11-29, Frank Vuotto wrote:

Well, they act like they own MINE too. All I want is easy access to my
own original recordings.

I believe you could make a case that you have a fundamental right to
access your own recordings, and that Sony is abridging your rights by
actively preventing your access.

Okay, so nobody is going to hire Johnny Cochran to press the matter, but
I really do believe your rights (both copyright and first amendment, and
possibly others) are abridged by a deliberate act of Sony. Your rights
are fundamental, and trump whatever they think gives them the right to
abridge yours.

I may come across as a raving madman on this issue, but I am a
reasonable person, and I am totally serious.

I seriously believe that by locking YOU out of YOUR intellecutal
property, Sony is violating MY rights as well as yours.
james of tucson

On 2004-11-29, Len Moskowitz wrote:

I'm not surprised to read about the way Sony has crippled data transfer
out of their Hi-MD recorders and how they've selected a proprietrary
data format. Sony has no interest in making high quality home recording
and copying easy.

I'd heard they had, and that you could use the new sony MD's as an
uninhibited digital recorder. Now I understand I was misinformed.
Pity. Perhaps nonvolatile storage devices like flash will reach the
price points such as currently held by minidisc or CDR.

John O

Following Sony's usual consumer product script, the MZ-NH1 will be
discontinued in roughly a year, not be economical to repair once it's
out of warranty, and parts for it will not be stocked after roughly
three years.

You forgot proprietary storage media and software on par with hazardous
waste.

-John O

Noel Bachelor

On or about Sat, 27 Nov 2004 18:42:00 +0100, Edi Zubovic edi.zubovic[rem
allegedly wrote:

HiMD records PCM in a file with the proprietary extension "*.oma". Up
to recently, Sonic Stage hasn't even been capable of transferring it
to any other usable format; it merely offered listening to a
transferred recording with its own player. It's a totally useless
approach. Oh yes, it offered burning a "ATRAC-CD" (???), the kind of
CD writing I don't bother to think about and I don't frankly know
where I could listen to such Atrac CD's.

The other day I saw a glossy flogging CD & DVD players, and all the Sony
ones offered ATRAC-CD playback. I wondered what that might be for. Now I
suppose I know, though I don't think I'll go rushing out to get one.

Noel Bachelor noelbachelorAT(From:_domain)
Language Recordings Inc (Darwin Australia)
Bob Cain

On 2004-11-29, Len Moskowitz wrote:

I'm not surprised to read about the way Sony has crippled data transfer
out of their Hi-MD recorders and how they've selected a proprietrary
data format. Sony has no interest in making high quality home recording
and copying easy.

I'd heard they had, and that you could use the new sony MD's as an
uninhibited digital recorder. Now I understand I was misinformed.
Pity. Perhaps nonvolatile storage devices like flash will reach the
price points such as currently held by minidisc or CDR.

You are only denied digital uploadability of recordings made
from the digital input of a HiMD. Granted, that's a big
_only_ if the pre's on the HiMD are as noisy as on previous
models.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Len Moskowitz

Paul wrote:

Which PDA's do you recommend for the backbone of a PDA-based recording
system? What specs should I look for?

The HP iPAQ h2215 and h2210 are reasonably priced (under $250) and very
small PDAs that works fine as a high resolution audio recorder. It
records to SD flash memory cards. With a single 1 GB card, it can
record 92 minutes at 16/44.1 (CD quality) or an hour at 24-bit/44.1. It
will easily fit into your shirt pocket with room to spare and also
supports 24/96 recording.

You can use more than one card for seamless, continuous recording for
pretty much as long as you like. Gidluck Mastering's Live2496 recording
program provides this neat feature.

And SanDisk (the flash memory manufacturer) says that their 2 GB SD
cards will be released before the end of the year. That will let you
double the recording time per card.

If you need recording times up to hundreds of hours, please contact us
for other system configurations.

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

Kurt Albershardt

Frank Vuotto wrote:

Sony has settled with Ampex for $40 million over patent litigation
which relates to digital still and digital video cameras as well as
PDA's. Back in July this year Ampex announced that it was aiming to
block Sony from importing and selling products in the US which
contained Ampex's intellectual property. Ampex has already come to
license agreements with Canon, Sanyo and Kodak worth several tens of
millions of dollars. Ampex currently has outstanding litigation
against Kodak for violation of the same patents. It looks as though
Ampex will come out from these agreements with ongoing royalty
payments too. Their patents related to "image storage and retrieval".

....as anyone who ever worked with a VPR-3/Zeus would understand why. IMO it's always good to see actual pioneer patentholders (the ones with decades of manufacturing experience) receiving royalties--I've seen way too much paid of late on theoretical patents acquired by rollups.

Arny Krueger

"Kurt Albershardt" wrote in message

IMO it's always good to see actual pioneer patentholders (the ones
with decades of manufacturing experience) receiving royalties--I've
seen way too much paid of late on theoretical patents acquired by
rollups.

That probably won't make much of a dent in the financials of Sony, which had
$72 billion in sales for 2003. But Ampex's suit could net it some
much-needed money, since it lost $5.8 million in 2003 on sales of $43.4
million. "If Ampex gets even just a tiny percentage of Sony sales in
licensing fees, that would produce some serious revenue for Ampex," says
Bromberg.

Looks like some mining might be happening in this case:

http://www.forbes.com/infoimaging/20...14sony_ii.html

"Patent mining has become a popular activity in the tech sector," says
Future Image analyst Paul Worthington. "Digital imaging is particularly
vulnerable to this practice because it's such a hot business and because,
although no technology is built in a vacuum, digital imaging builds upon so
many previous technologies."

"But Ampex's suit could net it some much-needed money, since it lost $5.8
million in 2003 on sales of $43.4 million. "If Ampex gets even just a tiny
percentage of Sony sales in licensing fees, that would produce some serious
revenue for Ampex," says Bromberg. "

Lars Farm

On 2004-11-29, Frank Vuotto wrote:

Well, they act like they own MINE too. All I want is easy access to my
own original recordings.

I believe you could make a case that you have a fundamental right to
access your own recordings, and that Sony is abridging your rights by
actively preventing your access.

I agree that this makes the product worthless. So why buy it...? By
paying you accept Sony's offer and you have an agreement with Sony. Once
you have agreed, well ... you have accepted the restrictions.

Lars

--
lars farm // http://www.farm.se
lars is also a mail-account on the server farm.se