Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger

Default Amplifier question

I picked up a couple of Schulmerich PP 807 amps (6-160/80 style).

Anyone have experience with them?

Thanks

Jon

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Bret Ludwig

Probably you got them for next to nothing, and if they are like the
others I have seen you got your money's worth. A bunch of 1940s PA
grade transformers. Schulmerich and Maas-Rowe were carillion
manufacturers who built their own power amps, strictly out of the
transformer maker's literature.

Unless you just have more time than sense, part them out and sell the
xfmr's for guitar amps. If you wan't hi-fi, buy a new set of
transformers already!

It's possible these are different-but there's no reason to think that
if they were actually built by the company itself.

Maas-Rowe later used OEM McIntosh amps that are well worth having, and
many organ installations used Altec or Mc amplifiers also worth
keeping.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
DeserTBoB

On 25 May 2006 20:44:12 -0700, "Bret Ludwig"
wrote:

Maas-Rowe later used OEM McIntosh amps that are well worth having, and
many organ installations used Altec or Mc amplifiers also worth
keeping. snip

I have some of the Mass-Rowe 6550s ampsp with the WECO regulator
circuit. They have the same output tranny as the Leslie
amps...meaning cheeeeeeesy. A little better on distortion, around 6%
right before clipping. These are OK for musical instrument
applications, period.

Allen Organ for years used Webster 6L6s amps, then switched to their
own in-house 5881 and 6550 designs with Acrosound tranny set, which go
for big on fraudBay when they show up. Many were stolen from churches
with old analog Allens. They will keep pace with a Mc, any day.
Unfortunately, many old organ tuners/repairment, notorious for graft,
would steal the Allens and shove something like an RCA PA amp in its
place, making the organ sound horrid. Seen it happen myself more than
once.

As for the Maas', the sum of the parts is worth more than the whole,
assuming the T-S 6550s test OK. I've heard of people trying to "fix"
them with Acrosounds and so on...too many people have too much time on
their hands.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
CAINE

heads up guys- don't buy anything from, or have any dealings with, this
DESERTBOB guy- once he gets your personal contact info, address, phone
number, email address, etc.- he plasters it all over Google, and
you'll have your own personal net stalker with him. He's also the last
of the tattle tale stranglers. He tries to get back at people by
calling up and emailing authorities and reporting you with false
accusations. We are talking one SICK TICKET, he is. He's been
harassing my ebay auctions and email addy now, for 2 years.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Bret Ludwig

CAINE wrote:
heads up guys- don't buy anything from, or have any dealings with, this
DESERTBOB guy- once he gets your personal contact info, address, phone
number, email address, etc.- he plasters it all over Google, and
you'll have your own personal net stalker with him. He's also the last
of the tattle tale stranglers. He tries to get back at people by
calling up and emailing authorities and reporting you with false
accusations. We are talking one SICK TICKET, he is. He's been
harassing my ebay auctions and email addy now, for 2 years.

Well, if you are charlie Nudoi, with good reason. Die, Charlie,
die!!!!!

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
DeserTBoB

On 26 May 2006 13:40:38 -0700, "CAINE" wrote:

heads up guys- don't buy anything from, or have any dealings with, this
DESERTBOB guy- once he gets your personal contact info, address, phone
number, email address, etc.- he plasters it all over Google, and
you'll have your own personal net stalker with him. snip

The death rattle of an eBay fraudster. Job well done by me, it
appears!
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Pooh Bear

DeserTBoB wrote:

On 26 May 2006 13:40:38 -0700, "CAINE" wrote:

heads up guys- don't buy anything from, or have any dealings with, this
DESERTBOB guy- once he gets your personal contact info, address, phone
number, email address, etc.- he plasters it all over Google, and
you'll have your own personal net stalker with him. snip

The death rattle of an eBay fraudster. Job well done by me, it
appears!

You've been harassing a fraudster ? Wicked ! What's his ebay ID ? Bet he wishes
he'd never mentioned it now.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Bret Ludwig

wrote:

[...]

I can't imagine Allen Organ parts would be that easy to fence! And
most Allens I have seen had transformers looking nothing like
Acrosounds.

Although I agree many ogan men are crooks, the big killer of AO tube
amps is...AO, who make and market their own solid state replacement amp
at a ridiculous price.

As for the Maas', the sum of the parts is worth more than the whole,
assuming the T-S 6550s test OK. I've heard of people trying to "fix"
them with Acrosounds and so on...too many people have too much time on
their hands.

Most oddball amps are horrid time and money sinks for the unwary,
especially anything built for organs, juke boxes or PA use. Gut them
out and save a lot of grief.