Mark Zarella

Default Mechanic blames amplifier for alternator failing?? Help>>>>>>>>>>>

The reason for the discrpancy stems from the phrase "It sounds
different..."

In general practice, anytime you read that phrase, ignore the entire
message. It comes from people who don't know anything about the basic
tenets of psychoacoustics.

(Scott Gardner) wrote in message ...
I'm not a big believer in "breaking in" speakers either, but
the post quoted below about track thirty on the Autosound test disc
might not have anything to do with break-in.
It specifically said that the tones were for "exercising
woofers before making Small/Theil parameter measurements". That's not
the same as "breaking in" woofers. T/S parameters change
significantly when the speaker is warmed up for a while, and the
parameters go right back to their original values once the speaker
cools back down.
My interpretation of the liner notes has always been that
track thirty is just for warming up speakers so you're not measuring
T/S parameters off of a cold sub.

Scott Gardner

BTW, I've heard a poster in another group that swore that whenever he
bought new home speakers, they always sounded different once he'd
played them for about a month. Then, he bought a pair of store demo
speakers that already had a few hundred hours on them. Guess what?
They sounded different after a month in his house, too. That's when
he figured that "speaker break-in" is more about our ears adapting to
the speakers than any actual change in the speakers themselves. My
experiences have been similar to his.

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 23:41:23 -0500, thelizman
thelizman1221.yahoo@com wrote:

John Durbin wrote:

Rich Clark wrote a very good piece on this subject a few yeas ago,
keeping in mind this is a guy that helped start the capacitor hype...

Richard Clark started a lot of hype. Clark and his coat-tail riding
wannabees (lovingly referred to as "clarkies") are hype-machine
extraordinaires.

I think my favorite bit of hype
was...
http://www.teamrocs.com/crap/rcpunked.htm

--
Lizard

sancho

Default Where is your shop John?

sissy

"John Durbin" wrote in message
probably wouldn't last much longer than a heartbeat, from what I hear

JD
making a mental note to give Texass a w-i-i-i-d-e berth in the future...

sancho wrote:

Lizard.
I mean love in the heterosexual "you're not getting my beer" kind of
way, of course.

i'd do durbin in a heartbeat...
--
sancho
and by 'a heartbeat' i mean 'his ass'

Eddie Runner

that challenge CANNOT BE WON!
Try reading the "war and peace" sized book of rules
to the testing.... He is allowed to EQ and PROCESS
any amp in the test so that it meets his stringent rules,
there is NO WAY to win after HE MAKES the amps
sound like he wants them to sound....

Read the rules....!!

Now (IMO) the amp challenge started as a good demonstration!
Typicly if amps arent overdriven or if two amps are playing the
same music its pretty hard to tell them apart, in fact its damn
near impossible.... But there are so many amps out there and
there are some that might be different, so the amp challenge and
its good intentions has bloated into a nasty bunch ao bull**** with
Richard Clark at the reins....

And you think Richard Clark would pay the $10000 if someone did
win???? Hell no, he is just a big blow hard!

I had a little arguement with him once and he told me his proof was
in one of his tech papers and I had to buy the tech paper to get his
side of the story.... He told me if I didnt believe the test paper after
I bought it he would refund me back the price DOUBLE!!!

I bought it and now the ****er wont even answer my emails...!!!
That was only $5 or $10 ... And you think he would give someone
$10000.00 ... ha ha ha

No WAY!
he is a scumbag!

Scott Gardner wrote:

Speaking of Richard Clark, has anyone won his "Amplifer Challenge"
yet? Or is that ten grand still sitting in his bank account? I can't
find any website that's tracking the challenge, but it's been several
years, so we should have heard about a winner, or at least heard about
how many people have unsuccessfully attempted it.

Scott Gardner

John Durbin wrote:

Rich Clark wrote a very good piece on this subject a few yeas ago,
keeping in mind this is a guy that helped start the capacitor hype...

Richard Clark started a lot of hype. Clark and his coat-tail riding
wannabees (lovingly referred to as "clarkies") are hype-machine
extraordinaires.

I think my favorite bit of hype
was...http://www.teamrocs.com/crap/rcpunked.htm

--
Lizard

Eddie Runner

Jd,
Richard Clark is the same one that claimed HE INVENTED the
big caps in the first place!! ha ha ha
he is such a liar! They were being used in cometition cars 6 or 7
years before Richard ever even competed!!

Is he suckin your pecker now or what???

John Durbin wrote:

yeah, yeah, yeah... but the guy is dead on the money on a lot of stuff,
like the debunking of the effectiveness of high ESR super caps, this
particular study I was referring to, some other good work that he's
published. The AS2000 labs do some very solid product evaluation, too.

JD

thelizman wrote:

John Durbin wrote:

Rich Clark wrote a very good piece on this subject a few yeas ago,
keeping in mind this is a guy that helped start the capacitor hype...

Richard Clark started a lot of hype. Clark and his coat-tail riding
wannabees (lovingly referred to as "clarkies") are hype-machine
extraordinaires.

I think my favorite bit of hype
was...http://www.teamrocs.com/crap/rcpunked.htm

--
Lizard

Scott Gardner

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 16:56:46 GMT, Eddie Runner
wrote:

that challenge CANNOT BE WON!
Try reading the "war and peace" sized book of rules
to the testing.... He is allowed to EQ and PROCESS
any amp in the test so that it meets his stringent rules,
there is NO WAY to win after HE MAKES the amps
sound like he wants them to sound....

Read the rules....!!

Actually, I have read them, and they're not as bad as you make
them sound. As a matter of fact, if I had been the one to write them,
they'd probably be twice as long. And the rules don't say anything
about Clark being able to EQ and process the amps any way he sees fit.
The only equalizing or processing that would be introduced would be
when one amp has some kind of a boost or filter that can't be
disabled.
I'm still curious about why we haven't heard of a winner, or
at least heard how many people have tried.

Scott Gardner

Here are the rules, for those interested:

THE $10,000 AMPLIFIER CHALLENGE RULES {April 21, 2000}
By Richard Clark

There is no question that all amps are not the same. It is very easy
to measure large differences in the performance of amplifiers. This is
true in nearly every known specification, including power, noise,
distortion, etc. My experience has led me to believe that even though
these differences can be easily measured, hearing those differences
may not be so easy. Given the relatively small magnitude of
performance differences, there is a giant step between amplifier
performance and our ability to hear performance differences.
It is claimed by designers, manufacturers and especially salespersons
that differences in amplifiers are clearly audible. Reasons include
"obvious" advantages of one type of circuit topology over another. For
example, it is claimed that certain designs have a smoother midrange
response whereas other amplifiers exhibit tighter bass. Tube fanatics
claim that tube amplifiers have that "warm" sound we all need in our
systems.
Such descriptive terms are certainly subject to personal
interpretation. It is not my intention to determine if one particular
amplifier is better than another amplifier. Differences in the quality
of the discrete components and constructions are more appropriate for
settling the issue of "good - better - best." The sole purpose of my
amplifier challenge is to determine if the differences in amplifiers
are audible.

What differences are Audible?

I believe the perceived differences in amplifiers are all due to
various factors that can be explained with basic physics and
elementary psyco-acoustics. For instance, if two amplifiers are not
carefully matched in volume, and one amp is slightly louder than the
other, then it would be a simple matter to detect such a difference.
In such an example it is important to understand that it is not the
circuit topology, quality of the component, design excellence, or
superb marketing and packaging that caused the noticeable difference -
it was an error in the test setup! It is my present belief that as
long as a modern amplifier is operated within its linear range (below
overload), the differences between amps are inaudible to the human
ear.

Comparing Amps

The idea here is for a test subject to scientifically demonstrate
his/her ability to hear differences in amplifiers. It is our job to
carefully match the amps so that we are comparing "apples to apples"
instead of "oranges to frogs." This means that we sure wouldn't want
to compare one amplifier that had + 12 dB of high frequency boost
against another amplifier that was adjusted for + 12 dB of bass boost.
Such a test would be easy to pass - even on identical amplifiers with
consecutive serial numbers.
For our comparison test, we aren't concerned with which amplifier
sounds best to the test subject. We only require that the listener be
able to identify each amplifier when it is powering the speakers.
Since many folks seem to believe that amplifiers
have some kind of distinctive sonic character, this test should be
easy to pass. Right? After all, we're talking about comparing those
harsh sounding, high distortion, squeaky "widget As" to those warm
sounding, smooth, bass hog "widget Bs."
Now pay particular attention to the following sections. Since we're
looking for differences in amplifiers, and we already know that those
differences are probably going to be very, very small, it is important
that the parameters under our control be carefully adjusted so as to
be equal as possible. This means that we must be cognizant of
differences we might unknowingly introduce between amp A and amp B.
They must be adjusted as identical as possible. We already mentioned
the importance of volume. The same goes for the L and R balance. It
sure would be easy to choose an amplifier that exhibited left side
bias over a balanced amp. Right?
Well, in order to keep this amplifier comparison test fair, there are
a few other parameters that must be considered. I'll list them all in
the following section.

Amplifier Comparison Test Conditions

1. Amplifier gain controls - of both channels - are matched to within
+- .05 dB.

2. Speaker wires on both amps are properly wired with respect to
polarity. (+ and -)

3. That neither amp has signal phase inversion. If so correction will
be made in #2 above.

4. That neither amp is loaded beyond its rated impedance.

5. That all amplifiers with signal processors have those circuits
bypassed. This includes bass boost circuits, filters, etc. If
frequency tailoring circuits cannot be completely bypassed an
equalizer will be inserted in the signal path of one (only one and the
listener can decide which) of the amps to compensate for the
difference. Compensation will also be made for input and output
for differences in the sonic signature of circuit topology, the
addition of an EQ in one signal path only should make the test even
easier.

6. That neither amp exhibits excessive noise (including RFI).

7. That each amp can be properly driven by the test setup. Not
normally a problem but it is theoretically a problem.

8. That the L and R channels are not reversed in one amp.

9. That neither amp has excessive physical noise or other indicators
that can be observed by the listener.

10. That neither amp has DC OFFSET that causes audible pops when its
output is switched.

11. That the channel separation of all amps in the test is at least 30
dB from 20Hz to 20kHz.

In addition to these requirements the test will be conducted according
to the following rules.
Amplifier Test Comparison Rules

1. To make things easy we would prefer to use high quality home type
loudspeakers for the test. If our speakers are not acceptable, the
listener can provide any commercially available speaker system as long
as it uses dynamic drivers. The actual measured impedance cannot
exceed the rated load impedance of the amplifiers tested. If, however,
the tester would like to perform the test in a car, we will use a car,
however, it will have to be provided by the test subject. For
practicality we will have to limit the number of amplifier channels to
four or less.

2. Amplifiers will be powered from the same power supply at a nominal
14 volts DC. (any voltage is OK as long as it is the same for both
amps)

3. The test can be conducted at any volume desired; however, the amps
will not be allowed to clip. In other words, listening volume can not
exceed the power capacity of the smallest amp of the pair being
tested. (power capacity will be defined as clipping or 2%THD 20Hz to
10kHz, whichever is less)

4. No test signals can be used - only commercially available music.

5. The listener can compare two amps at a time for as long as desired.
For practical reasons we would like to keep this at least no more than
a few hours. A test session will consist of 12 A/B sequences. Passing
the test will require a positive identification of each amp for all 12
sequences. Remember, guessing will get you about 6 out of 12. If the
differences are so great, and a subject can really hear the
difference, then he/she should be able to do so for all 12 sequences.

6. To win the $10,000.00, the listener must pass two complete sessions
of 12 comparisons. Passing the test means 24 correct responses.* The
amp of choice can be compared to the same or a different amp in each
session - challengers choice. We have many amplifiers in our demo
inventory such as, but not limited to, Alpine, Rockford, Kicker,
Phoenix Gold, Precision Power, MTX, Adcom, Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony,
etc. You can pick any of them or bring your own.

7. All amps must be brand name, standard production, linear voltage
amplifiers. This does not exclude high current amps. Amps can not be
modified and must meet factory specs. They must be "car audio
amplifiers designed to be powered from a car's electrical system."

8. Failure of an amp (this includes thermal shutdown) during the test
will require that the test be repeated after repair or replacement or
cooling of the amp. This means that the entire test session will have
to be repeated.

9. The amps will not be overloaded during the session from either a
voltage or current requirement.

10. To save time the listener will have to pass a quick 8 trial
session to qualify for the extended 2 session test for the money
prize. Any 2 amps can be used for this
test. Passing this qualifying test will require at least 6 out of 8
correct answers.

11. The amplifier power up and/or power down sequence will not be
acceptable for comparison. (The turn on/off noises of some amplifiers
would give it away.)

12. Although anyone is welcome to take the test, only subjects
employed in the car audio industry or Car Sound subscribers are
eligible for the $10,000.00 prize.

13. Cost to take the test is $100.00. $300.00 for people representing
companies. Payable in advance, scheduled appointments only. Done
correctly the test takes several hours and I don't have the time if
you aren't serious.

* Twelve correct responses in a row is certainly a lot of correct
listening but $10,000 is also a lot of money for a few hours of easy
listening. The way people describe the differences is that they are
like night and day. I would certainly not have any trouble choosing
between an apple and an orange 12 times in a row. When compared fairly
I believe the differences in amps are much too small to audibly detect
and certainly too small to pay large sums of extra money for. If I am
wrong someone should be able to carefully take this test and win my
money. Even if I am right, if enough people take the test eventually
someone will take my money due to random chance. This is the reason
for the large sample requirement. If you feel that you can easily pass
this test but 12 sequences will give you "listening fatigue" I am
willing to modify the requirements. Since the way it is being offered
is a challenge and only my money is at risk I am willing to let a
confident challenger "put his money where his ears are". If we are
willing to make this a bet instead of a challenge, I am willing to
drop 1 sequence for every thousand dollars put up by the challenger
against my money. This would mean:

____My___________ _ _Your________Trails Required to win__
$10,000 to $0 = 12 Tries
$9,000 to $1,000 = 11 Tries
$8,000 to $2,000 = 10 Tries
$7,000 to $3,000 = 9 Tries
$6,000 to $4,000 = 8 Tries
$5,000 to $5,000 = 7 Tries
$4,000 to $6,000 = 6 Tries

I will not do the test with less than 6 trails. It would be
statistically meaningless and reduce the challenge to mere gambling.

John Durbin

There's nothing wrong with his test methodology, Eddie - which I would
think you'd appreciate, you being such a big fan recently of actual
in-car tests vs. theory and what-not.

If you notice, I very carefully sidestepped the "who came first" part
and simply pointed out that he was one that hyped big caps early on ...
in other words, he's predisposed to recommend them (if used correctly)
but his charging system stability testing with the big MTX amps in-car
with stock electrical was done without a cap, I believe.

JD

thelizman wrote:

John Durbin wrote:

Rich Clark wrote a very good piece on this subject a few yeas ago,
keeping in mind this is a guy that helped start the capacitor hype...

Richard Clark started a lot of hype. Clark and his coat-tail riding
wannabees (lovingly referred to as "clarkies") are hype-machine
extraordinaires.

I think my favorite bit of hype
was...http://www.teamrocs.com/crap/rcpunked.htm

--
Lizard

sancho

you're awful sparky lately - not getting enough of the good stuff lately?

JD

could you be a bit more specific?
--
sancho

Eddie Runner

Was I knocking his testing methodology in that post??

I dont think so.

He has claimed many times that most systems dont need a cap.
I agree with him there
He has also claimed to be the first to use big caps in competitions.
He is a liar on that point
Or just ignorant of the fact that Wayne Harris and Hugh Sullivan
both had them in the 84 finals about 6 or 7 years before he bought
the Buick and started competing...

Your right he did help bring (Jewelry) caps into the limelight
(or should I say market)

Before RC was makeing money on CAPS that folks dont need,
the big caps were sort of an underground thing known only by
a few installers.. The PRE JEWELRY CAP guys did higher voltage
caps and we wired them directly to the amps power supply rails!
(this is where the amp stores the voltage before it makes music with it
you know that JD, im explaining it for anyone else that might be
reading)
instead of just hooking the lower voltage cap to the 12 volt input line
where moron can do it and RC can make a buck selling caps that
are purdy...

I dont question RCs test methods, I only question his motives ...
Everytime I look into his motives I see lies because he want to
make money....

Like his cable bull****

Eddie

thelizman wrote:

John Durbin wrote:

Rich Clark wrote a very good piece on this subject a few yeas
ago,
keeping in mind this is a guy that helped start the capacitor
hype...

Richard Clark started a lot of hype. Clark and his coat-tail
riding
wannabees (lovingly referred to as "clarkies") are hype-machine
extraordinaires.

I think my favorite bit of hype
was...http://www.teamrocs.com/crap/rcpunked.htm

--
Lizard

John Durbin

I know you guys got history... and issues. But, doesn't stop me from
pointing at the test in question as being of interest. Better than a lot
of the theoretical stuff that gets spouted in here.

JD

thelizman wrote:

John Durbin wrote:

Rich Clark wrote a very good piece on this subject a few yeas ago,
keeping in mind this is a guy that helped start the capacitor hype...

Richard Clark started a lot of hype. Clark and his coat-tail riding
wannabees (lovingly referred to as "clarkies") are hype-machine
extraordinaires.

I think my favorite bit of hype
was...http://www.teamrocs.com/crap/rcpunked.htm

--
Lizard

sancho

"John Durbin" wrote in message

not if it's likely to result in you inviting yourself to my ass again...

what is not likely to result in that?
--
sancho
short godamned list

John Durbin

damn dude, you need to get some and I mean now!

JD
and that warn't an invite

sancho wrote:

"John Durbin" wrote in message
. ..

not if it's likely to result in you inviting yourself to my ass again...

what is not likely to result in that?
--
sancho
short godamned list

John Durbin

like I said, you got issues...

JD
Eddie's closet is big enough to hold a unimog

Eddie Runner wrote:

so he *IS* sucking your dick!

thelizman wrote:

John Durbin wrote:

Rich Clark wrote a very good piece on this subject a few yeas ago,
keeping in mind this is a guy that helped start the capacitor hype...

Richard Clark started a lot of hype. Clark and his coat-tail riding
wannabees (lovingly referred to as "clarkies") are hype-machine
extraordinaires.

I think my favorite bit of hype
was...http://www.teamrocs.com/crap/rcpunked.htm

http://www.teamrocs.com/crap/rcpunked.htm--
Lizard

sancho

"John Durbin" wrote in message

damn dude, you need to get some and I mean now!

JD
and that warn't an invite

some what, then?
--