Default crackling speakers after installing e3 spark plugs... any ideas?

after installing new e3 spark plugs (revolutionary, right?) in my 2000
Ford Taurus SEL (24v 3L V6), my speakers crackle. Before I installed
the spark plugs, they would occasionally have feedback from high
acceleration...

now, any acceleration unleashes tons of feedback in the form of
crackling distorted sound... even the slightest touch of the gas pedal.
In addition, sound is distorted even when idling under 1500 RPM. So the
only time it sounds good is when I am going 30 MPH or above and
coasting.

Any ideas on a fix, or at least narrowing the problem down to something
solid?

I have heard of this with high performance spark plug wires. Are you
using OEM wires?

the wires are actually the coiled wires that come standard on ford
taurus 2000 veichles. You can only replace them with OEM I believe.

Scott Gardner

On 31 Mar 2005 22:56:13 -0800, wrote:

after installing new e3 spark plugs (revolutionary, right?) in my 2000
Ford Taurus SEL (24v 3L V6), my speakers crackle. Before I installed
the spark plugs, they would occasionally have feedback from high
acceleration...

now, any acceleration unleashes tons of feedback in the form of
crackling distorted sound... even the slightest touch of the gas pedal.
In addition, sound is distorted even when idling under 1500 RPM. So the
only time it sounds good is when I am going 30 MPH or above and
coasting.

Any ideas on a fix, or at least narrowing the problem down to something
solid?

First, I would temporarily go back to using regular plugs, just to
make sure the problem is actually with the new E3 plugs, and that you
didn't accidentally damage the wires or anything else when you
replaced the plugs. If the noise goes away when you put the old plugs
back in, then the problem is in fact with the new plugs.

Second, are the E3 plugs "resistor-type" or "suppression" spark plugs?
If they aren't, you're going to get ignition noise, plain and simple.
You may be able to replace your plug wires with shielded suppression
wires to help out with the noise. Usually, as long as you have
suppression-type plugs or shielded wires, you'll be okay - you
shouldn't need both.

Lastly, if it gets to be too much of a pain in the butt, just go back
to using regular plugs. Believe it or not, a set of clean,
properly-gapped original equipment plugs is pretty hard to beat.
You're not going to get significant power increases or vastly-improved
fuel economy just by switching to triple-electrode plugs.

--
Scott Gardner

"One of the more, um, entertaining aspects of riding is the astonishing
effortlessness under good conditions, the utter impossibility when
conditions exceed your skill envelope, and the abruptness of the transition. " (Bob Prohaska)