William Filcox

Default '90 Pontiac Sunbird stereo question

2 points to this:

1) I've got a 1990 Sunbird le and the square radio tuner between the vent
and the storage compartment looks pretty ugly. Are there better, newer
tuners or whatever to put in there? Sorry if this is kinda vague.

2)I'm trying to hook up my amp(bazooka el260) to, well i dont know exactly
what to hook it up to. Theres this grey box in the back that everything
hooks up to. Again this is kinda vague but I've searched the net and asked
friends for about a week on how to install my amp. I get kinda frustrated
and so now i'm posting here. I'd rather do it myself then get it done by
professionals. It'd make me feel proud.

So if you have any tips then please email me at

David

It's an underdash housing that has a DIN cutout to accomodate an aftermarket
radio. It's made of black textured ABS, like most dash kits are made of. It
doesn't replace anything, but instead allows you to add a new radio. You'll
have to disconnect the factory radio, but you can leave the display portion
in the dash.

I have one in stock that I'll sell you for $20.00, plus shipping (from SW
Virginia)... I accept most forms of payment including PayPal!

Let me know if you're interested...

David
SoundworksCarAudio.com

"William Filcox" wrote in message
. ca...
Is that an entire kit to replace everything or what? If so do you have any
links to places that sell it?
"David" wrote in message
In this vehicle, we always use Metra's 99-9000 underdash kit. It can be
easily added to the bottom of the dash, right below the factory radio...

David
SoundworksCarAudio.com

"William Filcox" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

David

If the vehicle was equipped with a factory power antenna or amplifier, the
wire will be PINK, located in the same plug as the power, ACC, and ground
wires. If not, then you'll either have to wire it to the YELLOW accessory
power wire, through a toggle switch or you can use a Directed Electronics
#55000 Remote Power Adapter.

David
UnderTheDash.com

"William Filcox" wrote in message
. ca...
I need help installing my amp. Is there anyone that has installed an amp

a gm vehicle that could tell me what kind of connections i have to make? i
have the power and ground cables on and now i need the rem cable but i

dont
know where it goes on the receiver box or what? If you have any info or

know
anything about this please let me know. Thanks
[...]

dwinner

Have a 91 Sunbird.. just wondering if anyone could tell me the color
connections between the sunbirds old stereo and a pioneer DEH-10... i
know its kinda old.. but i am doing it for a friend.. any help would be
great.. thanx

--
dwinner

Daniel Snooks

Have you already started cutting? Buy the Metra wiring harness (even if you
have cut).

"dwinner" wrote in message

Have a 91 Sunbird.. just wondering if anyone could tell me the color
connections between the sunbirds old stereo and a pioneer DEH-10... i
know its kinda old.. but i am doing it for a friend.. any help would be
great.. thanx

--
dwinner
dwinner's Profile:

http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/m...fo&userid=4929
View this thread:

http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/s...?threadid=7055

SarahA

Hi,
I'm going to have a new cd player installed in my 1990 Sunbird LE. I
won't be doing the work myself (leaving that to more experienced hands)
but I need to get a dash kit for it. Does anyone have some advice as
to what would be the best to get? I've been searching and found these
so far:

Metra's 99-9000 underdash kit (as mentioned earlier in this thread)

METRA 89-30-3310 PONTIAC SUNBIRD 1990-94 DASH KIT (Which seems to
simply be a faceplate - does anyone know more about this particular
model?)

Pontiac Kit 1989-up, chassis size E (from crutchfield.com)

SCOSCHE GM1452B Installation Kit (For 1989-1994 Pontiac Sunbird)

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

--
SarahA
SarahA's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=33879

Sean Scott

"SarahA" wrote in message
news:1112295152.8de382dabc729ffbf2cccc7888c0efd6@t eranews...

Hi,
I'm going to have a new cd player installed in my 1990 Sunbird LE. I
won't be doing the work myself (leaving that to more experienced hands)
but I need to get a dash kit for it. Does anyone have some advice as
to what would be the best to get? I've been searching and found these
so far:

Metra's 99-9000 underdash kit (as mentioned earlier in this thread)

METRA 89-30-3310 PONTIAC SUNBIRD 1990-94 DASH KIT (Which seems to
simply be a faceplate - does anyone know more about this particular
model?)

Pontiac Kit 1989-up, chassis size E (from crutchfield.com)

SCOSCHE GM1452B Installation Kit (For 1989-1994 Pontiac Sunbird)

I bought a SCOSCHE kit from Wal Mart simply because it was the cheapest, for
my 2004 Malibu
Turned out great, not a single complaint, except for the 75 dollar adapter
GM wants me to buy to keep my door chime and having to run a seperate power
wire to the fuse panel ;p

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

--
SarahA
SarahA's Profile:
http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=33879
View this thread:
http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=155691

joe.ker

Does your sunbird have the space below the factory unit to fit the underdash
kit?
If so then that is your best option.
If you have the console below the factory head unit then the radio will have
go where the tape deck it or pocket above it.
the metra 89-30-3310 sounds like a metal plate that covers that part

"SarahA" wrote in message
[...]

Daniel Snooks

Sean Scott wrote:
"SarahA" wrote in message
[...]

Well she won't have to worry about the GM adapter cost, that's strictly a
data-bus issue with new vehicles. Sarah, why do you have to buy the kit? I
would think the installer would take care of this for you.

On a more helpful note, in my '94 Sunbird I cut the pocket out above the
factory tape deck and installed the CD player in there. The CDs just clear
the gear shift when loading/unloading ... doing this required only the
wiring adapter.
Now I have completely gutted the dash where the factory stereo and climate
controls used to be and fitted the player up in there ... but that's a lot
more money if you will be getting someone else to do the work.

--
Dan Snooks

SarahA

Ah! Thanks for all the responses. The place I bought the deck from
offers free installation (Bestbuy, actually), but for some reason no
one in the area seems to have or be able to reliably get their hands on
a dash kit that will fit my car. I figured instead of waiting up to
four weeks for someone to custom order it, I'd simply find one myself.

The car has the tape deck separate from the radio unit, so it sounds
like the new stereo will go there? I guess that _does_ make the most
sense.
Thanks again for the fast responses. This has been very helpful.

--
SarahA
SarahA's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=33879
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=155691

Daniel Snooks

SarahA wrote:
Ah! Thanks for all the responses. The place I bought the deck from
offers free installation (Bestbuy, actually), but for some reason no
one in the area seems to have or be able to reliably get their hands
on a dash kit that will fit my car. I figured instead of waiting up
to four weeks for someone to custom order it, I'd simply find one
myself.

The car has the tape deck separate from the radio unit, so it sounds
like the new stereo will go there? I guess that _does_ make the most
sense.
Thanks again for the fast responses. This has been very helpful.

Yup, but if your's is the same as mine was ... there is a pocket above the
tape deck, that's the better location for the deck. If you put it down where
the tape deck itself is, the discs will hit the gear shift when in park.
Where are you located? I am in the Toronto area (Canada) and would be
willing to do the install for you ... no need to buy an adapter at all.

--
Dan Snooks