Mikey

Default Laptop options - Firewire or USB?

Hi group,
I'm considering making the leap to a laptop system for mobile work.
I'm wondering what you think is the better interface option - USB 2 or
firewire? I'm wanting to be able to record 16 channels at once (maybe
thru an Apogee AD16 or similar).

I know new products are still coming out for both interfaces. I wonder
what your prognostications are for future development (XP platform). I
want to be sure I get the right laptop configuration first, then worry
about A/D interface later.

Besides the USB/1394 question, what else should I look at in deciding
on a laptop?

Thanks,

Mikey Wozniak
Nova Music Productions
this sig is haiku
Kurt Albershardt

Mikey wrote:

I'm considering making the leap to a laptop system for mobile work.
I'm wondering what you think is the better interface option - USB 2 or
firewire? I'm wanting to be able to record 16 channels at once (maybe
thru an Apogee AD16 or similar).

I think 1394 is better suited to multichannel audio at this point.

RME's Fireface 800 is getting a lot of good press http://www.rme-audio.com/english/firewire/ff800.htm

Besides the USB/1394 question, what else should I look at in deciding
on a laptop?

The 1394 chipset and implementation used are critical. Spend some time in the RME and Mobile-IO user groups. Start asking questions now before you buy.

Arny Krueger

"Kurt Albershardt" wrote in message

Mikey wrote:

I'm considering making the leap to a laptop system for mobile work.
I'm wondering what you think is the better interface option - USB 2
or firewire? I'm wanting to be able to record 16 channels at once
(maybe thru an Apogee AD16 or similar).

I think 1394 is better suited to multichannel audio at this point.

AFAIK there are currently a lot more 1394 audio interfaces on the market
than there are USB-2 audio interfaces.

In the USB-2 category I know of only the Marian UCON CX, Edirol UA-1000 and
the Behringer BCA-2000.

EricK

Arny Krueger wrote:

AFAIK there are currently a lot more 1394 audio interfaces on the market
than there are USB-2 audio interfaces.

In the USB-2 category I know of only the Marian UCON CX, Edirol UA-1000 and
the Behringer BCA-2000.

Are there even any USB2 solutions out there that will support 16 channel
simultaneous record? I'm not aware of any myself.

--
Eric

www.Raw-Tracks.com

Arny Krueger

"EricK" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

AFAIK there are currently a lot more 1394 audio interfaces on the
market than there are USB-2 audio interfaces.

In the USB-2 category I know of only the Marian UCON CX, Edirol
UA-1000 and the Behringer BCA-2000.

Are there even any USB2 solutions out there that will support 16
channel simultaneous record? I'm not aware of any myself.

The UA 1000 handles 8 analog channels and a 2-channel digital interface, but
presumably more than one UA-1000 could be hosted on a PC with USB-2
interface(s).

The Maran UCON CX hosts 8 analog channels and an ADAT interface that is
presumably capable of an additional 8 channels. So, if you plug one of the
several ADAT analog interfaces such as the Behringer ADA 8000, it would
handle 16 analog channels.

Of course just because the possibility of interfacing 16 or more channels
exists, doesn't mean that it will operate smoothly in a particular
environment.