ReEfErMaDnEsS

Default B&K ST-202 Questions and Opinions

Hello, I recently stumbled across one of these amps at a local flea market
and got it for a steal, at least I think it was a steal. It is in excellent
condition. Anyway I was looking for some opinion and specs on this amp. I
also would like to know if I should still get sound form the speakers with
the unit off. I can turn it on or off and still get out put from the
speakers. It is running form the pre outs of a Pioneer VSXD-850S receiver
and driving a pair of Ohm Walsh 1's I also got at the flea market. Total
cost thus far is $85. Any help you can give me would be greatly
appreciated.

The same guy also has a Marantz 2275 in good condition for $45 and was
hoping for your opinions on that as well

Thanks

Dave Platt

Hello, I recently stumbled across one of these amps at a local flea market
and got it for a steal, at least I think it was a steal. It is in excellent
condition. Anyway I was looking for some opinion and specs on this amp. I
also would like to know if I should still get sound form the speakers with
the unit off. I can turn it on or off and still get out put from the
speakers.

It's fairly common for amplifiers to continue to amplify sound for
several seconds (as much as 30 in extreme cases) after their power
switch is turned off. Amps which have large power-supply filter
capacitors banks can store a great deal of energy in the capacitors,
and this stored energy can continue to power the amplifier circuitry
at modest volume levels for quite some time.

[Hence, if you are working on one of these amps with the cover off,
you should be *very* conscious of the fact that the caps can store
enough energy to damage the circuitry, vaporize a small screwdriver,
or cause severe shocks and burns. Technicians often install a
combination voltage-indicator (e.g. LED or bulb) and bleeder resistor
directly across the capacitor terminals, to warn of the presence of
stored energy and to drain it away in a reasonable amount of time.]

If the amplifier is still amplifying 5 minutes after you turn off the
power switch, I'd be concerned that the switch itself is shorted and
that the amp is _not_ off.

If the amplifier is still amplifying 5 minutes after you unplug it
from the wall... it's haunted, and you should get out of the building
IMMEDIATELY and should _not_ stop to investigate those strange sounds
from the basement.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO