Jonny Durango

Default CF Card Reccomendations

What type of CompactFlash card should I buy for recording audio onto
something like the R1 or MicroTracker.

I'd rather not spend the outrageous prices for SD 80x media if I don't
have to. I've heard good things about Kingston and it seems to be a good
price point. How about the cheapos like "Magicstor"? What speed should I
go with? I'm looking for something around 2GB. Thanks!!

Jonny Durango
zxffl;jsdopisfd

I recently ordered a "magicstor" 2 gig card that was actually (not
advertised that way) a microdrive. The Marantz gadget, for one, can't
use it. A Kingston card worked fine, and now my camera has a huge
storage device that I don't really need.

Citizen Ted

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 12:42:19 -0700, Jonny Durango
wrote:

What type of CompactFlash card should I buy for recording audio onto
something like the R1 or MicroTracker.

I'd rather not spend the outrageous prices for SD 80x media if I don't
have to. I've heard good things about Kingston and it seems to be a good
price point. How about the cheapos like "Magicstor"? What speed should I
go with? I'm looking for something around 2GB. Thanks!!

Per Edirol's CF card comparability chart, stick with standard, generic
Type1 CF cards. Sandisk is a good choice.

- TR

Len Moskowitz

Jonny Durango wrote:

What type of CompactFlash card should I buy for recording audio onto
something like the R1 or MicroTracker.

Consider the plain old SanDisk cards, not the Extreme and not the Ultra
II.

In our PDAudio systems, the current SanDisk standard cards are
fast enough to do 24/96 with no problems.

Oddly, since they're optimized for block transfer in digital cameras and
not for the continuous transfers that audio recorders need, the Standard
cards are actually faster and more reliable than the Extreme and Ultra
II cards. And of course, they are considerably less expensive.

Two channels of 24/96 need a bit under 600 KB/s transfer rate. That's
around 4X. Putting some safety margin on it brings us to 8 to 10X.
Standard cards can do that with no problem.

Magicstor are MicroDrives (hard drives). Compared to flash memory, they
eat batteries and are slow.

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912