Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default Usenet Service

I'm paying about $8 per month for Usenet access from Giganews. This
group is the only one I access any more. Is there a cheaper alternative?
I can downgrade my Giganews account, but a free one would be nice, if
there is such a thing these days.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 17:08:46 -0400, mcp6453 wrote:

I'm paying about $8 per month for Usenet access from Giganews. This
group is the only one I access any more. Is there a cheaper alternative?
I can downgrade my Giganews account, but a free one would be nice, if
there is such a thing these days.

Eternal-September is free and very good.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"Don Pearce" wrote in message

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 17:08:46 -0400, mcp6453 wrote:

I'm paying about $8 per month for Usenet access from Giganews. This
group is the only one I access any more. Is there a cheaper alternative?
I can downgrade my Giganews account, but a free one would be nice, if
there is such a thing these days.

Eternal-September is free and very good.

I second that motion.

Poly

Posted to rec.audio.pro
ClumsyWetPilotDevil66 ClumsyWetPilotDevil66 is offline

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 21:08:46 GMT, mcp6453 wrote:
I'm paying about $8 per month for Usenet access from Giganews. This
group is the only one I access any more. Is there a cheaper alternative?
I can downgrade my Giganews account, but a free one would be nice, if
there is such a thing these days.

I third it... eternal-september.org plus Thunderbird on win 10, or plus Homez reader on Android. All free and works well
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Liz Tuddenham Liz Tuddenham is offline

mcp6453 wrote:

I'm paying about $8 per month for Usenet access from Giganews. This
group is the only one I access any more. Is there a cheaper alternative?
I can downgrade my Giganews account, but a free one would be nice, if
there is such a thing these days.

I've been using 'news.individual.net' with MacSOUP for the last 20 years
and it has worked flawlessly (perhaps I am tempting fate by saying
that). They are currently charging 10 Euros per year.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 2/04/2021 1:53 am, ClumsyWetPilotDevil66 wrote:
On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 21:08:46 GMT, mcp6453 wrote:
I'm paying about $8 per month for Usenet access from Giganews. This
group is the only one I access any more. Is there a cheaper alternative?
I can downgrade my Giganews account, but a free one would be nice, if
there is such a thing these days.

I third it... eternal-september.org plus Thunderbird on win 10, or plus Homez reader on Android. All free and works well

That would be "Holmez" ?

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford[_2_] Ty Ford[_2_] is offline

On Thursday, April 1, 2021 at 10:57:44 AM UTC-4, Liz Tuddenham wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:

I'm paying about $8 per month for Usenet access from Giganews. This
group is the only one I access any more. Is there a cheaper alternative?
I can downgrade my Giganews account, but a free one would be nice, if
there is such a thing these days.

I've been using 'news.individual.net' with MacSOUP for the last 20 years
and it has worked flawlessly (perhaps I am tempting fate by saying
that). They are currently charging 10 Euros per year.

Thanks Liz. I've also been using them a long time. No problems.

Ty Ford
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil[_2_] Nil[_2_] is offline

On 02 Apr 2021, geoff wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

On 2/04/2021 1:53 am, ClumsyWetPilotDevil66 wrote:
On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 21:08:46 GMT, mcp6453 wrote:
I'm paying about $8 per month for Usenet access from Giganews.
This group is the only one I access any more. Is there a cheaper
alternative? I can downgrade my Giganews account, but a free one
would be nice, if there is such a thing these days.

I third it... eternal-september.org plus Thunderbird on win 10,
or plus Homez reader on Android. All free and works well

That would be "Holmez" ?

Well, that's nice to know! It's been many, many years since I've seen
any Android Usenet client updated, let alone a new one introduced. I
figured it was a deadend technology that nobody would ever again sink
more time or effort into. I'm going to try this one out!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...com.holmez.twa
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris Gillies Chris Gillies is offline

On 2021-03-31 4:08 p.m., mcp6453 wrote:
I'm paying about $8 per month for Usenet access from Giganews. This
group is the only one I access any more. Is there a cheaper alternative?
I can downgrade my Giganews account, but a free one would be nice, if
there is such a thing these days.

nntp.aioe.org with Thunderbird has been working for me.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 31/03/2021 22:08, mcp6453 wrote:
I'm paying about $8 per month for Usenet access from Giganews. This
group is the only one I access any more. Is there a cheaper alternative?
I can downgrade my Giganews account, but a free one would be nice, if
there is such a thing these days.

Just one point, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch, and while
there are quite a few free news swervers such as eternal september, that
one, while excellent, is run as a hobby, (Literally a server in his
bedroom, last tine I checked) and he appreciates donations towards the
cost of equipment and bandwidth.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
MuseChaser MuseChaser is offline

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 21:08:46 GMT, mcp6453 wrote:
I'm paying about $8 per month for Usenet access from Giganews. This
group is the only one I access any more. Is there a cheaper alternative?
I can downgrade my Giganews account, but a free one would be nice, if
there is such a thing these days.

Holmez isn's not beautiful or intuitive, but the price is right. Haven't found a way to save this newsgroup for easy access each time, and when you search you have to scroll down past a punch of other hits to find the "search for newsgroups" field. Also, so far, I've only been able to reply to the initial posts in threads, and not to followups. For instamce, I could only post this reply to the thread opener...I couldn't reply directly to the post inquring about Holmez?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah[_6_] Tobiah[_6_] is offline

nntp.aioe.org with Thunderbird has been working for me.

Me2. Free and reliable.