Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default Diode Question

Can anybody tell me what the package name is or how to order the 1N4007
in this picture? It appears to be a DO-204AL. I'm trying to find some
1N4007s in the glass package, but I haven't yet. I ordered some from
Mouser, but they are the standard DO-41 package (even though they're
glass passivated, which has nothing to do with the packaging, apparently.)

https://www.mouser.com/images/vishay...O_41_2_SPL.jpg

Note that these are the larger diodes, not the 1N4148s that are
typically in this glass package.

It's silly, but I'm restoring an old amp that uses them, yadda, yadda,
yadda.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

mcp6453 wrote:
Can anybody tell me what the package name is or how to order the 1N4007
in this picture? It appears to be a DO-204AL. I'm trying to find some
1N4007s in the glass package, but I haven't yet. I ordered some from
Mouser, but they are the standard DO-41 package (even though they're
glass passivated, which has nothing to do with the packaging, apparently.)

https://www.mouser.com/images/vishay...O_41_2_SPL.jpg

That's not a 1N4007. I don't think the die in a 1N4007 would fit in
a glass package.

Note that these are the larger diodes, not the 1N4148s that are
typically in this glass package.

It's silly, but I'm restoring an old amp that uses them, yadda, yadda,
yadda.

What are the diodes you have? If they are conventional diodes, just replace
them with a normal DO-41 1N4007. If they are something special (like a zener)
then you have a different issue.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 1/04/2021 10:07 am, mcp6453 wrote:
Can anybody tell me what the package name is or how to order the 1N4007
in this picture? It appears to be a DO-204AL. I'm trying to find some
1N4007s in the glass package, but I haven't yet. I ordered some from
Mouser, but they are the standard DO-41 package (even though they're
glass passivated, which has nothing to do with the packaging, apparently.)

https://www.mouser.com/images/vishay...O_41_2_SPL.jpg

Note that these are the larger diodes, not the 1N4148s that are
typically in this glass package.

It's silly, but I'm restoring an old amp that uses them, yadda, yadda,
yadda.

I've never seen a 1N4007 in glass. May be something else - where is it
in the cct ?

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/31/2021 5:16 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
[...]

--scott

I have 1N4007s in the epoxy package. I was trying to find some in the
glass package. Mouser shows them on their website as 1N4007s, but
they're not. It's just an aesthetic thing. If the die won't fit, there's
no point in me looking!

On another matter, why were the bodies of some old garden=variety diodes
round, like a ball? Was there a benefit to that shape? I don't think so.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/31/2021 5:56 PM, geoff wrote:
On 1/04/2021 10:07 am, mcp6453 wrote:
Can anybody tell me what the package name is or how to order the
1N4007 in this picture? It appears to be a DO-204AL. I'm trying to
find some 1N4007s in the glass package, but I haven't yet. I ordered
some from Mouser, but they are the standard DO-41 package (even though
they're glass passivated, which has nothing to do with the packaging,
apparently.)

https://www.mouser.com/images/vishay...O_41_2_SPL.jpg

Note that these are the larger diodes, not the 1N4148s that are
typically in this glass package.

It's silly, but I'm restoring an old amp that uses them, yadda, yadda,
yadda.

I've never seen a 1N4007 in glass. May be something else - where is it
in the cct ?

geoff

In the power supply. Scott says they don't exist. Oh, well.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] palli...@gmail.com is offline

mcp6453 wrote:

It's silly, but I'm restoring an old amp that uses them, yadda, yadda,
yadda.

** Which old amp ? You only find 4007s in tube gear.

Think I have seen glass versions somewhere, in an old amp from Japan.

..... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/31/2021 8:18 PM, wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:

It's silly, but I'm restoring an old amp that uses them, yadda, yadda,
yadda.

** Which old amp ? You only find 4007s in tube gear.

Think I have seen glass versions somewhere, in an old amp from Japan.

.... Phil

They're in a Leslie 122RV amp. They must not be original.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

mcp6453 wrote:
On 3/31/2021 8:18 PM, wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:

It's silly, but I'm restoring an old amp that uses them, yadda, yadda,
yadda.

** Which old amp ? You only find 4007s in tube gear.

Think I have seen glass versions somewhere, in an old amp from Japan.

.... Phil

They're in a Leslie 122RV amp. They must not be original.

And they are open or noisy?

According to the Leslie docs those are 525-212 diodes. That would have
been an 800V diode from RCA, I think. Not exactly a 1N4007, but it would
be reasonable to replace them with 1N4007s which will be more rugged.

Looks like the highest voltage thing I see in any glass package today
is the BAV21 at 250V.

Diode detector R and C value calculations. Patrick Turner Vacuum Tubes 0 November 28th 10 02:23 PM
Zener Diode anand Pro Audio 0 November 4th 08 02:43 PM
Diode replacement [email protected] Car Audio 2 May 11th 06 11:19 AM
The Truth About Diode Detectors John Byrns Vacuum Tubes 8 September 9th 04 09:27 PM
The Mechanical Diode Rides Again [email protected] High End Audio 2 October 1st 03 11:39 PM