Harry Lavo

Default George Harrison "Live from Japan" 2 SACD/Hybrid Set

If you follow SACD on AudioAsylum, you know there has been a buzz the last
few weeks about a terrific bargain to be found (when you can find it) at
Best Buy until either March 11 or 14th (cutoff not clear).

This is a 2 Disk set of live concert performances by George Harrison backed
by Eric Clapton and a seven piece band and two female backup vocalists.
I've managed to snag the disk and just wanted to pass along impressions to
those of you out there with SACD players.

The music is very well worthwhile, and at $9.99 for two disks is definitely
a bargain. The surround audience sound adds some excitement to the live
recording, but the sound itself is no better than average cd quality. Read
carefully, the jacket conveys the information that the concert was recorded
in December 2001 by a mobile recording van and then transferred to SACD. So
it was doubtless PCM, but of unknown flavor. There is little depth to the
recording; it is clean but unexceptional in every way other than
performance.

The disk contains a fair number of famous Beatles and Harrison tunes,
including Give Me Love, Something, Piggies, Here Comes the Sun, My Sweet
Lord, All Those Years Ago, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, and Roll Over
Beethoven. If like me, you haven't stocked up on Harrison albums, it is
quite a bargain. If you have all his albums on CD or Vinyl it becomes a
close call.

Happy weekend to all.

Harry Lavo
"It don't mean a thing if it aint got that swing" - Duke Ellington
Long Rod Penetrator

"Harry Lavo" wrote:

the jacket conveys the information that the concert was recorded
in December 2001 by a mobile recording van and then transferred to SACD. So
it was doubtless PCM, but of unknown flavor.

Recorded in 1991. Harrison died in November 2001.