Duc

Default Best entry-level subwoofer

At home theater forums, pretty much any time that someone asks about a
good budget subwoofer, the Dayton 10" powered subwoofer from Parts
Express (
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=300-632
) is immediately suggested. This subwoofer is consistently praised for
sounding much better than its price would indicate. I have one myself
and it's great.

I'm looking for a car audio equivalent.

My Kenwood KAC-8401 is currently using 2 channels to power the front
speakers and I would like to bridge the other 2 channels for 1 180-watt
RMS channel (according to Kenwood specs) to power a subwoofer.

What subwoofer and what kind of box should I get? I don't want loud and
boomy. Tightness is very important to me.

Thanks for your help!

Tony F

I've nothing heard good things about Dayton's mobile line of subs as well.
Stick with a small, sealed box...whatever size Partsexpress recommends.

Tony

--
Eclipse CD8454 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and ZX500 Amplifiers,
Phoenix Gold EQ-232 30-Band EQ, Dynaudio System 360 Tri-Amped In Front and
"Duc" wrote in message
ups.com...
At home theater forums, pretty much any time that someone asks about a
good budget subwoofer, the Dayton 10" powered subwoofer from Parts
Express (
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=300-632
) is immediately suggested. This subwoofer is consistently praised for
sounding much better than its price would indicate. I have one myself
and it's great.

I'm looking for a car audio equivalent.

My Kenwood KAC-8401 is currently using 2 channels to power the front
speakers and I would like to bridge the other 2 channels for 1 180-watt
RMS channel (according to Kenwood specs) to power a subwoofer.

What subwoofer and what kind of box should I get? I don't want loud and
boomy. Tightness is very important to me.

Thanks for your help!

I'm very happy with my JL 8W7. I built a sealed enclosure from MDF,
sized according to JL recommendations. Lots of tight bass with a
(relatively) small footprint.

John Durbin

http://www.directedxtreme.com/subs.asp

They sound very good, tune easily in reasonably sized enclosures, and
handle a bunch of abuse... we have people using these for SPL
competition getting up into the mid-160's without driver damage, not bad
for a sub that sells for $49-$59 retail. They're 4 ohm drivers which
should match your amp's load rating perfectly.

JD