Robert Jacobson

Default connecting mp3 player -- need tripole switch?

I have a 97 Saturn with a Delco 12-CD changer. The pinout is like
this:

1 brown / white Left Audio Out
2 dark green / white Right Audio Out
3 black / white Audio Common
4 bare Ground / Shield

5 orange Power
6
7 black Ground
8
9
10 dark green e/c data line

I understand that I can substitute the audio from the mp3 player by
splicing into the audio lines from the CD player. Obviously, I want
to be able to switch between the two sources (the trunk CD player and
the MP3 player).

I noticed that the output from both the CD player and the MP3 player
uses THREE lines (left, right, and common). Does that mean I need a
tripole/dual throw (TPDT) switch? Or can I just ignore the common
line? Is there a signal on the common line or is it just a reference
voltage?

I was going to try a DPDT switch as shown below, but when I tried
hooking up some headphones to just the two outputs (left and right),
and it sure sounded funny. It sounded fine when I hooked up the
common line as well, leading me to believe I needed all three.

Excuse the crude drawing :-/
__________
CD player Left ----------|--x |
CD player right ----------|-------X |
| |
| |
output left---------------|--x |
output right -------------|-------x |
| |
| |
MP3 player left ---------|--x |
MP3 player right ---------|-------x |
-----------
David

The DPDT switch (or relay!) will work fine. Just connect the 'audio common'
wires together without a switch...

Ex:

MP3 common to CD common to Radio common,
MP3 L to switch (or relay) NO contact, CD L to NC contact, and radio L to
COM contact,
MP3 R to switch (or relay) NO contact, CD R to NC contact, and radio R to
COM contact.

If you need a diagram or more info, please post a request at
www.UnderTheDash.com/board

Hope the info helps,
David
UnderTheDash.com

m...

portable MP3-DVD player Jenny General 0 May 23rd 04 06:01 PM
Looking for a CD player with specific features... George Thorogood General 2 May 11th 04 04:57 PM
Looking for a portable CD player with a real resume feature Bice General 0 July 27th 03 04:19 PM
CD Player Problems jbicking Car Audio 0 July 19th 03 04:42 PM
In-Dash MP3 Player question Vickie Car Audio 2 July 13th 03 08:23 PM