avicenna

Default newbie question: Behringer mixers, headphone out

Hello,

I'm interested in buying a mixer for use in a home recording studio.
I'm considering buying a non-powered mixer (such as one of the
Behringer Eurorack series or a Mackie) for monitoring and playback,
and to use the mic pre's that are found in many such mixers for
recording occasionally. I have M-Audio Studiophile reference monitors
for normal playback, but sometimes I'll want to plug in headphones for
discrete playback and monitoring (those of you with kids should
understand :-)). My question is this: would I need anything aside
from the mixer and a set of headphones to pull this off (eg., would I
need a power amp of some sort to boost the headphones' level)?

I should add that I'm working within a tight budget, hence my
consideration of Behringer mixers. I have read some of the battles
that have been waged on this newsgroup and others about Behringer
mixers; I'm not attempting to renew any of those. But any advice any
of y'all might have about what to look for and what to avoid would be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Thomas Bishop

"avicenna" wrote in message
My question is this: would I need anything aside
from the mixer and a set of headphones to pull this off (eg., would I
need a power amp of some sort to boost the headphones' level)?

Short answer: No. The mixer amplifies the signal to headphone level.
That's why you have both line outs and headphone outs from things like
mixers, portable CD players, etc.

Ron Charles

**** Off Preben, nobody cares for your language and your attitude.

"Preben Friis" wrote in message

"Ron Charles" wrote in message
Do yourself a favour and find a used or new Mackie (perhaps a 1202 VLZ

for
$175 US) and avoid the Behringers.

Do us a favour and shut up.

/Preben Friis