Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default Fake D224Es ?

Anybody heard of AKG D224E fakes ?

There is a dude in Bulgaria selling some on eBay, and has sold many more
over the past while.

So fakes, or has he scored an old stash of the real thing from somewhere
? Wondering if I should get a buddy for my one ....

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Geoff wrote:

Anybody heard of AKG D224E fakes ?

** Would be exceptionally hard to fake the D224E plus demand is not sufficient to justify the effort.

There is a dude in Bulgaria selling some on eBay, and has sold many more
over the past while.

** I saw the listings.

So fakes, or has he scored an old stash of the real thing from somewhere
? Wondering if I should get a buddy for my one ....

** They are likely genuine but old examples, lucky to be a still working.

The hair fine wire on the diaphragms is prone to going open.

..... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Geoff wrote:
Anybody heard of AKG D224E fakes ?

There is a dude in Bulgaria selling some on eBay, and has sold many more
over the past while.

So fakes, or has he scored an old stash of the real thing from somewhere
? Wondering if I should get a buddy for my one ....

Is there really a market for fake D224s? I don't think enough people know
what they are for there to be a demand for them.

It shouldn't be easy to tell a fake just by picking it up, since the D224
is pretty heavy and it's weirdly balanced. If someone made a fake tube and
stuck a Ningbo dynamic element in there, it might look perfect but sure
wouldn't feel the same way in your hand.

The problem with the D224, though, is that they are so delicate. I have
a bunch of them and most of them have one or the other element open. So I
would want a guarantee before buying a used one.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Bulgarian politburo used them as desk
microphones or something like that, and some guy has come across a stash
of a couple hundred ones that were recently pulled out of service and
replaced with junk from China. But I'd also be kind of wary of old ones.