Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dave O'Heare[_3_] Dave O'Heare[_3_] is offline

Default Small power amplifier

I hate the smell of fried electronics in the evening.

Folks, my old (somewhat) faithful Stewart PA200 died on me last night. I
hooked it up, it worked, passed audio, all was good. During the event audio
started dropping out, then stopped completely, then loud oscillation (on
one channel, nothing on the other). I fought my way through the moshing
crowd at the retirement residence where it was set up for the PA announce
mic, noted that unmistakeable smell of escaped magic smoke, and powered the
whole works off.

This is not the first time this amp has failed, in much the same way. I
think it's time to replace the beast, but with what? I use it on the
occasions when I'm doing very small events, mostly to minimize the amount
and size of the crap that I'm carrying.

Are there any options for ~100W power amps in a small form factor? I'd
really rather not cart around the size and weight of a full-width rack
mount power amp. It doesn't even have to be stereo, really, but I do want
something with reasonably standard connections (TRS/TS, XLR, Speakon,say;
not barrier strip, euroblock) and (hopefully) relatively easily available
in Canada.

Thanks, folks.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 13/04/2017 07:35, Dave O'Heare wrote:

Are there any options for ~100W power amps in a small form factor? I'd
really rather not cart around the size and weight of a full-width rack
mount power amp. It doesn't even have to be stereo, really, but I do want
something with reasonably standard connections (TRS/TS, XLR, Speakon,say;
not barrier strip, euroblock) and (hopefully) relatively easily available
in Canada.

Thanks, folks.

Maybe a couple of small active PA speakers? There are many available
from 100 Watts upwards. The ones I use at the moment were made by
Montarbo in Italy, but may be discontinued now. The pair didn't cost
much more than a stereo amplifier, and they've got a tiny mixer and bit
of onboard DSP.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Moshing crowd, at a retirement
residence? Surely...
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 13/04/2017 11:40, wrote:
Moshing crowd, at a retirement
residence? Surely...

He spelt noshing wrong. ;-)

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

So, lots of appetizers on hand.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chuck[_12_] Chuck[_12_] is offline

On Thu, 13 Apr 2017 01:35:22 -0500, "Dave O'Heare"
wrote:

[...]

The Stewart amp is a very poor design. At my university, we have
pulled them out of service because they are unreliable. Here is the
one we use to replace them. These are reliable and actually sound
better than the Stewarts.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...C%7Bkeyword%7D

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Folks, my old (somewhat) faithful Stewart PA200 died on me last night.

want to sell it?

Mark
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Dave O'Heare wrote:
Folks, my old (somewhat) faithful Stewart PA200 died on me last night. I
hooked it up, it worked, passed audio, all was good. During the event audio
started dropping out, then stopped completely, then loud oscillation (on
one channel, nothing on the other). I fought my way through the moshing
crowd at the retirement residence where it was set up for the PA announce
mic, noted that unmistakeable smell of escaped magic smoke, and powered the
whole works off.

I am not a fan of these amps, they seem very underdesigned to me.

Are there any options for ~100W power amps in a small form factor? I'd
really rather not cart around the size and weight of a full-width rack
mount power amp. It doesn't even have to be stereo, really, but I do want
something with reasonably standard connections (TRS/TS, XLR, Speakon,say;
not barrier strip, euroblock) and (hopefully) relatively easily available
in Canada.

If you can survive with a 1U amp, Ashley makes or made a great one. And
there is always a used Crown D75... they don't sound very good but they are
rock solid and will likely outlast all of us.

If you want smaller than 1U you have to make some big sacrifices. Other
than consumer class-D amps there aren't that many choices although folks
like Radio Systems make a few.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Chuck wrote:
The Stewart amp is a very poor design. At my university, we have
pulled them out of service because they are unreliable. Here is the
one we use to replace them. These are reliable and actually sound
better than the Stewarts.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...C%7Bkeyword%7D

I am in no way a fan of the SA120... but I will agree that it is a huge
step up in sound quality and reliability from the Stewarts.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dave O'Heare[_3_] Dave O'Heare[_3_] is offline

wrote in news:0f87b270-538b-4866-8d22-dbea0f9593f7
@googlegroups.com:

Moshing crowd, at a retirement
residence? Surely...

Some of those folks get swinging their canes around pretty good... :-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dave O'Heare[_3_] Dave O'Heare[_3_] is offline

John Williamson wrote in
:

On 13/04/2017 07:35, Dave O'Heare wrote:

Are there any options for ~100W power amps in a small form factor?

Maybe a couple of small active PA speakers? There are many available
from 100 Watts upwards. The ones I use at the moment were made by
Montarbo in Italy, but may be discontinued now. The pair didn't cost
much more than a stereo amplifier, and they've got a tiny mixer and
bit of onboard DSP.

Thanks, John. I have some small powered speakers, and was using this setup
because it means one cable instead of two from the mix position to each
speaker. I was also using an ipad-controlled mixer so that I could tuck the
whole works out of sight (which mean me crashing through the nosh pit when
things went bad).

I'm surprised, with the recent crop of high-powered lightweight bass
amplifiers and such, that nobody sees this as useful for live audio.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Dave O'Heare wrote:
Thanks, John. I have some small powered speakers, and was using this setup
because it means one cable instead of two from the mix position to each
speaker. I was also using an ipad-controlled mixer so that I could tuck the
whole works out of sight (which mean me crashing through the nosh pit when
things went bad).

I'm surprised, with the recent crop of high-powered lightweight bass
amplifiers and such, that nobody sees this as useful for live audio.

I think most of it is because so much, even the MI market, is moving to
powered speakers. But yeah, it does mean managing power cables.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dave O'Heare[_3_] Dave O'Heare[_3_] is offline

(Scott Dorsey) wrote in
news
Chuck wrote:
The Stewart amp is a very poor design. At my university, we have
pulled them out of service because they are unreliable. Here is the
one we use to replace them. These are reliable and actually sound
better than the Stewarts.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...SA120A_Servo_1
20_Power_Amplifier.html/?ap=y&gclid=CMXq1MnKodMCFQcOaQodQ9AIVg&c3api=18
76%2C%7Bcreative%7D%2C%7Bkeyword%7D

I am in no way a fan of the SA120... but I will agree that it is a
huge step up in sound quality and reliability from the Stewarts.
--scott

I have a few 1-space amps kicking around; I was using the Stewart
specifically because I can put it in a laptop case with a mixer, some
cables, and a microphone, a speaker in each hand, and stands in a bag on my
back, and load in by myself in one trip, with no large cases and assorted
gak to deal with. In events like these, sound quality is secondary, sadly.

I am coming to realize that I do it like this at elast in part because I've
always done it like this. Perhaps I should rethink the whole works.

Hmm.

(For what it's worth, the most reliable gear I've got (besides things like
SM58s) are my Marshall 8008 power amps.)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] jjaj1998@netscape.net is offline

On Thursday, April 13, 2017 at 9:53:53 AM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
On 13/04/2017 11:40, wrote:
Moshing crowd, at a retirement
residence? Surely...

He spelt noshing wrong. ;-)

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

-1

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Dave O'Heare wrote:
[...]

YMMV - but I still use a Sherwood 100WPC cheapie I bought.
Well less than a buck a watt. When you google for them, you will
see the form factor.

It has *cough* RCA connectors.

There are a small eternity of small Class D power amps out there.

--
Les Cargill

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 14/04/2017 9:04 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Dave O'Heare wrote:
I'm surprised, with the recent crop of high-powered lightweight bass
amplifiers and such, that nobody sees this as useful for live audio.

I think most of it is because so much, even the MI market, is moving to
powered speakers. But yeah, it does mean managing power cables.
--scott

Yep, always been surprised why most people think power cables are
somehow less of a problem than speaker cables.
IMO the main advantage of powered speakers is in the crossover if they
use separate amps for each driver. One disadvantage is hoisting the
extra weight onto speaker stands.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article , Trevor wrote:

Yep, always been surprised why most people think power cables are
somehow less of a problem than speaker cables.

Because they can all go to a central power distribution instead of having
to run them all out to an amp rack somewhere. Same amount of wiring, but
they can all go together.

IMO the main advantage of powered speakers is in the crossover if they
use separate amps for each driver. One disadvantage is hoisting the
extra weight onto speaker stands.

Biamping or triamping is pretty common for large installs anyway, but of
course it doubles or triples the weight of the cable from the amp rack to the
speakers....
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chuck[_12_] Chuck[_12_] is offline

On 13 Apr 2017 13:49:02 -0400, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

Chuck wrote:
The Stewart amp is a very poor design. At my university, we have
pulled them out of service because they are unreliable. Here is the
one we use to replace them. These are reliable and actually sound
better than the Stewarts.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...C%7Bkeyword%7D

I am in no way a fan of the SA120... but I will agree that it is a huge
step up in sound quality and reliability from the Stewarts.
--scott

Scott,
I agree but I expect the person needs something cheap and has a
minimum height to fit the space the Stewart is in.

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dave O'Heare[_3_] Dave O'Heare[_3_] is offline

Les Cargill wrote in newscp3j9$5t5$1@dont-
email.me:

There are a small eternity of small Class D power amps out there.

Thanks, Les. I'm intrigued by the ICEpower stuff, considering that their
stuff mostly is plug and play (integrated power supply and everything!).

I note that their amplifier modules are used extensively in MI bass amps,
which worries me a little bit; on the other hand, Yorkville and Fender each
make more money than I do, so maybe they do know something I don't :-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Dave O'Heare wrote:
Les Cargill wrote in
newscp3j9$5t5$1@dont- email.me:

There are a small eternity of small Class D power amps out there.

Thanks, Les. I'm intrigued by the ICEpower stuff, considering that
their stuff mostly is plug and play (integrated power supply and
everything!).

I note that their amplifier modules are used extensively in MI bass
amps, which worries me a little bit; on the other hand, Yorkville and
Fender each make more money than I do, so maybe they do know
something I don't :-)

Fender is carrying roughly the same debt load as Weimar Germany, so I'm
not sure...

Pat Quilter is pushing switchmode for *guitar amps*, and I have one[1].
It works really, really well. The technology is quite mature.

[1] Quilter Steelaire, for pedal steel. Very challenging problem;
handled with aplomb.

--
Les Cargill

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 14/04/2017 10:49 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article , Trevor wrote:

Yep, always been surprised why most people think power cables are
somehow less of a problem than speaker cables.

Because they can all go to a central power distribution instead of having
to run them all out to an amp rack somewhere. Same amount of wiring, but
they can all go together.

Not compulsory to have a single amp rack, the amp can be near the
speaker. In any case the signal cable still has to go back to the mix
position, so still little benefit that I can see.

IMO the main advantage of powered speakers is in the crossover if they
use separate amps for each driver. One disadvantage is hoisting the
extra weight onto speaker stands.

Biamping or triamping is pretty common for large installs anyway, but of
course it doubles or triples the weight of the cable from the amp rack to the
speakers....

Right, which is why it's good to keep the amps close to the speakers,
giving pretty well identical considerations. ie power cable and signal
cable needed to each powered speaker, or passive speakers/amps combo.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Dave O'Heare wrote:
I'm surprised, with the recent crop of high-powered lightweight bass
amplifiers and such, that nobody sees this as useful for live audio.

I think most of it is because so much, even the MI market, is moving to
powered speakers. But yeah, it does mean managing power cables.
--scott

Yep, always been surprised why most people think power cables are
somehow less of a problem than speaker cables.
IMO the main advantage of powered speakers is in the crossover if they
use separate amps for each driver. One disadvantage is hoisting the
extra weight onto speaker stands.

Trevor.

... and there are the combined power/audio cables that means only one
cable to each speaker.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 15/04/2017 11:30 AM, Dave O'Heare wrote:
Les Cargill wrote in newscp3j9$5t5$1@dont-
email.me:

There are a small eternity of small Class D power amps out there.

Thanks, Les. I'm intrigued by the ICEpower stuff, considering that their
stuff mostly is plug and play (integrated power supply and everything!).

I note that their amplifier modules are used extensively in MI bass amps,
which worries me a little bit; on the other hand, Yorkville and Fender each
make more money than I do, so maybe they do know something I don't :-)

Extensively, but not exclusively. What is your worry ?

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

Dave O'Heare wrote:
I'm surprised, with the recent crop of high-powered lightweight bass
amplifiers and such, that nobody sees this as useful for live audio.

I think most of it is because so much, even the MI market, is moving to
powered speakers. But yeah, it does mean managing power cables.

Yep, always been surprised why most people think power cables are
somehow less of a problem than speaker cables.
IMO the main advantage of powered speakers is in the crossover if they
use separate amps for each driver. One disadvantage is hoisting the
extra weight onto speaker stands.

... and there are the combined power/audio cables that means only one
cable to each speaker.

Can't see much benefit in running both power and audio from the mix
position myself, but each to his own I guess.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 15/04/2017 19:46, Trevor wrote:
Can't see much benefit in running both power and audio from the mix
position myself, but each to his own I guess.

Trevor.

Shorter speaker cables as they are internal to the cabinet. Power cables
carry less current than speaker cables, and the cable impedance isn't so
critical, so the total cable size on the run can be a touch smaller. And
as someone said, you can get a single cable that runs both power and
signal, so there's less to carry into the venue.

Or, if the venue layout permits, use power sockets near the speaker
locations so you reduce the number of single point failure modes.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 4/15/2017 2:46 PM, Trevor wrote:

Can't see much benefit in running both power and audio from the mix
position myself, but each to his own I guess.

What you do is take power from the stage end to run the speakers (or the
rack of power amplifiers in the old days). They draw the most current so
you want the shortest power cable for the lowest voltage drop. Then you
run power from the stage to the mixer along with the mic snake. Since
the mixer and a few signal processing boxes doesn't draw much current,
you won't get significant voltage drop through 100 feet of even 16 gauge
wire (which weighs about 1/3 less than the same length of 14 gauge wire).

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article , Trevor wrote:

Can't see much benefit in running both power and audio from the mix
position myself, but each to his own I guess.

Makes ground configurations much simpler on small rigs when all the safety
grounds to to a single point.

My inclination is to reverse that configuration, running the mix position
power from the stage, but either way is fine.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 16/04/2017 7:06 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article , Trevor wrote:
Can't see much benefit in running both power and audio from the mix
position myself, but each to his own I guess.

Makes ground configurations much simpler on small rigs when all the safety
grounds to to a single point.

My inclination is to reverse that configuration, running the mix position
power from the stage, but either way is fine.

It's obvious any case can be made for doing whatever suits the
individual and the venue. But as I said simply placing the amps close to
the speakers using the same wiring as you suggest can do exactly the
same anyway. Personally I like separate amps for FOH and self powered
for monitors, but regularly work with various combinations.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Thursday, April 13, 2017 at 2:35:29 AM UTC-4, Dave O'Heare wrote:
I hate the smell of fried electronics in the evening.

Do you want to sell it?

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dave O'Heare[_3_] Dave O'Heare[_3_] is offline

geoff wrote in
:

On 15/04/2017 11:30 AM, Dave O'Heare wrote:

I note that their amplifier modules are used extensively in MI bass
amps, which worries me a little bit; on the other hand, Yorkville and
Fender each make more money than I do, so maybe they do know
something I don't :-)

Extensively, but not exclusively. What is your worry ?

My worry was that the amplifier characteristics might be tweaked for low
frequency instrument amplification (higher power at the expense of higher
distortion or limited high frequency response, for example), or would be
built to hit a price point.

But on thinking about it, it's not really relevant for the intended
purpose. Extended HF response won't be noticeable, really, and the
distortion will be fine at the levels the amp will be pushing.

And the assorted information I've trawled up on the Internet suggests that
these amp modules work well, are reliable, and sound good in hi-fi as well
as live instrument uses.

And weigh less than a Bryston 4B.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 19/04/2017 3:33 p.m., Dave O'Heare wrote:
Extensively, but not exclusively. What is your worry ?
My worry was that the amplifier characteristics might be tweaked for low
frequency instrument amplification (higher power at the expense of higher
distortion or limited high frequency response, for example), or would be
built to hit a price point.

But on thinking about it, it's not really relevant for the intended
purpose. Extended HF response won't be noticeable, really, and the
distortion will be fine at the levels the amp will be pushing.

And the assorted information I've trawled up on the Internet suggests that
these amp modules work well, are reliable, and sound good in hi-fi as well
as live instrument uses.

And weigh less than a Bryston 4B.

Yep agree with that. Which I thought was widely generally accepted.

I just purchased another 4 of the 250W versions with integrated PSU to
pop into a stage monitors project I've been needing to complete for a
while now .

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chuck[_12_] Chuck[_12_] is offline

On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 22:35:30 -0500, "Dave O'Heare"
wrote:

wrote in news:dc694bd4-3bcd-4797-9920-
:

On Thursday, April 13, 2017 at 2:35:29 AM UTC-4, Dave O'Heare wrote:
I hate the smell of fried electronics in the evening.

Do you want to sell it?

Mark

I might, depending on the verdict from the repair guys.

Just out of curiosity, why would you want it?

As someone who has repaired quite a few of these, I wouldn't repair
it. Probably all small value electrolytic capacitors will be bad. The
stand up driver boards have traces that are so thin that when the
drivers are desoldered the traces dissolve. To work on the bottom of
the main board all output and power supply switching transistors have
to be detached from the heatsinks. If cost is an issue, pretty much
any used amp will be better.

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Thursday, April 13, 2017 at 2:35:29 AM UTC-4, Dave O'Heare wrote:
I hate the smell of fried electronics in the evening.

Do you want to sell it?

Mark

I might, depending on the verdict from the repair guys.

Just out of curiosity, why would you want it?

I could use a small PA amp.
I'll repair it myself and use it...

I'll be taking a chance that it is feasible to repair.

mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

On Thursday, April 13, 2017 at 2:35:29 AM UTC-4, Dave O'Heare wrote:
I hate the smell of fried electronics in the evening.

Do you want to sell it?

I might, depending on the verdict from the repair guys.

Just out of curiosity, why would you want it?

I could use a small PA amp.
I'll repair it myself and use it...

I'll be taking a chance that it is feasible to repair.

Trust me, you do not want it. It's likely not too hard to repair, but it's
such a bad design that it likely won't stay repaired.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Dave O'Heare wrote:
geoff wrote in
:

On 15/04/2017 11:30 AM, Dave O'Heare wrote:

I note that their amplifier modules are used extensively in MI
bass amps, which worries me a little bit; on the other hand,
Yorkville and Fender each make more money than I do, so maybe
they do know something I don't :-)

Extensively, but not exclusively. What is your worry ?

My worry was that the amplifier characteristics might be tweaked for
low frequency instrument amplification (higher power at the expense
of higher distortion or limited high frequency response, for
example), or would be built to hit a price point.

I don't think that's much a of a tradeoff for switchmode power amps.

These guys are under bang & olufsen. I would tend to think that B&O
would still mean some measure of quality.

But on thinking about it, it's not really relevant for the intended
purpose. Extended HF response won't be noticeable, really, and the
distortion will be fine at the levels the amp will be pushing.

And the assorted information I've trawled up on the Internet suggests
that these amp modules work well, are reliable, and sound good in
hi-fi as well as live instrument uses.

And weigh less than a Bryston 4B.

--
Les Cargill