Posted to rec.audio.pro
Julie Abel Julie Abel is offline

Default Stereo or Mono audio track when digitizing a mono record in PT?

Hi everyone, Happy Holidays.

I'm in the middle of digitizing some albums and I've come to my first
mono record. I have been going through my digi002r into a stereo
audio track in PT, so I tried that with the mono album, but it sounds
weird. I then recorded it using a mono track and it sounded a little
thin. I assume I'll Bounce to disk using the mono summed option, but
which way should I capture the source, or does it not matter. Thank
you. Julie
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Julie Abel wrote:
Hi everyone, Happy Holidays.

I'm in the middle of digitizing some albums and I've come to my first
mono record. I have been going through my digi002r into a stereo
audio track in PT, so I tried that with the mono album, but it sounds
weird. I then recorded it using a mono track and it sounded a little
thin. I assume I'll Bounce to disk using the mono summed option, but
which way should I capture the source, or does it not matter. Thank
you. Julie

If I'm doing any treatment to remove surface noise, I capture and
process in stereo, then output to mono.

It may also be that you are getting phase differences due to mistracking
of the stylus when you sum to mono, so try just using one channel from
the cartridge.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil Nil is offline

On 18 Dec 2009, Julie Abel wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

I'm in the middle of digitizing some albums and I've come to my first
mono record. I have been going through my digi002r into a stereo
audio track in PT, so I tried that with the mono album, but it sounds
weird. I then recorded it using a mono track and it sounded a little
thin. I assume I'll Bounce to disk using the mono summed option, but
which way should I capture the source, or does it not matter. Thank
you. Julie

Most mono records I've come across have worn unevenly so that one
channel is often noisier and more distorted than the other. I record it
in stereo, then listen to the result to decide which channel sounds
better. I keep that one and eliminate the other.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Julie Abel wrote:
I'm in the middle of digitizing some albums and I've come to my first
mono record. I have been going through my digi002r into a stereo
audio track in PT, so I tried that with the mono album, but it sounds
weird. I then recorded it using a mono track and it sounded a little
thin. I assume I'll Bounce to disk using the mono summed option, but
which way should I capture the source, or does it not matter. Thank
you. Julie

How are you setting up the preamp? You need to have both channels summed
to mono. If you record only one channel off a stereo cartridge, what you
get will not be as clean as it should be because you're seeing not just
the lateral movement but also residual vertical movement.

If the tone changes when you switch from stereo to mono, you have a
cartridge alignment problem.