Posted to rec.audio.tubes
:-:Ghost Chip:-: :-:Ghost Chip:-: is offline

Default Tubes & SS

When I was young I had tubes and liked them.
I got older and got SS and liked it too.
Now, even older I can no longer hear the difference so I like them both.
Ghost

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
fryzz fryzz is offline

On Dec 13, 3:35 pm, ":-:Ghost Chip:-:" wrote:
When I was young I had tubes and liked them.
I got older and got SS and liked it too.
Now, even older I can no longer hear the difference so I like them both.
Ghost

You know, this post is a lot like throwing chum into a pool full of
sharks :-).
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jan Jan is offline

fryzz wrote:

On Dec 13, 3:35 pm, ":-:Ghost Chip:-:" wrote:
When I was young I had tubes and liked them.
I got older and got SS and liked it too.
Now, even older I can no longer hear the difference so I like them both.
Ghost

You know, this post is a lot like throwing chum into a pool full of
sharks :-).

With age comes wisdom.

Jan
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute[_2_] Andre Jute[_2_] is offline

On Dec 14, 3:14*pm, Jan wrote:
fryzz wrote:
On Dec 13, 3:35 pm, ":-:Ghost Chip:-:" wrote:
When I was young I had tubes and liked them.
I got older and got SS and liked it too.
Now, even older I can no longer hear the difference so I like them both.
Ghost

You know, this post is a lot like throwing chum into a pool full of
sharks :-).

With age comes wisdom.

Jan

The smart guys will stay out of this. I'm not smart -- yet!

Andre Jute
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Jan wrote:

fryzz wrote:

On Dec 13, 3:35 pm, ":-:Ghost Chip:-:" wrote:
When I was young I had tubes and liked them.
I got older and got SS and liked it too.
Now, even older I can no longer hear the difference so I like them both.
Ghost

You know, this post is a lot like throwing chum into a pool full of
sharks :-).

With age comes wisdom.

Well, you are optimistic.

There are indeed ppl whose wisdom increases as their ability to play
baseball diminishes.

There is a lucky tiny minority who play chess better at 60 than at 40,
and 40 BTW is merely a jack sprat whippersnapper of a bloke, a todler
among wise old octogenarians, many of whom are wise enough to stay away
from a chessboard because it'll lead to a loss against some young twerp.
And since 80 yo hearing ain't what it use to be, it could be pointless
to discuss tubes and transistors, and maybe they won't know how to email
you a reply about anything.

Wisdom is a bit like a hard on. You just can't keep it up for ever, and
sooner or later, you have a very good chance of going quite daft as you
get older, and or your ageing either makes your personality better like
some wines improve if cellared, or you just turn into a sour old
*******, like a bottle full of vinegar.

Have ye not met a few 60 yr olds who have completely forgetten how to
build a nice simple gees-its-great tride amp?

What they knew at 30 has been lost. As you age, tell yourself to get
wiser each day, OK, and if yer don't, yer won't get wiser, yer'll get
dumber. So stay healthy with a few challenges outside the comfort zone.
Chuck out the bull**** you had at 30, but please hang onto the good
bits........of your mind that is.

As a man ages, his mind should move above his waist.

Patrick Turner.

Jan

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andy Evans Andy Evans is offline

It's not either tubes or solid state these days - DACs have tube
outputs and valve amps are stuffed full of solid state parts.

Ironic that you can still get great sound from a 1920s tube like the
01A, and the way to do it is with a filament supply full of solid
state parts like LM1086 voltage regs.

andy

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
bigwig bigwig is offline

On 16 Dec, 23:34, Andy Evans wrote:
It's not either tubes or solid state these days - DACs have tube
outputs and valve amps are stuffed full of solid state parts.

Ironic that you can still get great sound from a 1920s tube like the
01A, and the way to do it is with a filament supply full of solid
state parts like LM1086 voltage regs.

andy

When I was younger and first starting my interest in electricity (this
came before girls and after falling from trees and setting my mates on
fire whilst digging tunnels). My grandfather, who was born during the
first war and in the Signals in the second, gave me a valve radio and
a load of my fathers books. My father seems to disown the books, but
not the radio.
Anyway, my grandfather is still about and I dont think anything I
have done he hasnt done before. We are in a very pleasant situation.
We have the option of nice current sinks/sources. We can use switch
mode supplies. We can even god forbid use FETs as buffers.
Hmmmm Matt.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
keithr keithr is offline

Patrick Turner wrote:

Jan wrote:
fryzz wrote:

[...]

"Wisdom" is just accrued experience and knowledge so, in theory, it
should increase throughout life or at least until you start losing your
marbles. There are those however who either cannot or will not learn
from experience and are doomed to keep smacking their heads against the
same old brick wall for life.

Have ye not met a few 60 yr olds who have completely forgetten how to
build a nice simple gees-its-great tride amp?

What they knew at 30 has been lost. As you age, tell yourself to get
wiser each day, OK, and if yer don't, yer won't get wiser, yer'll get
dumber. So stay healthy with a few challenges outside the comfort zone.
Chuck out the bull**** you had at 30, but please hang onto the good
bits........of your mind that is.

There is a bunch of stuff that I knew at 30 which I don't know now. It
is simply what was important then is not important any more. The only
way to keep all the old knowledge is not to progress to anything new. A
manager that I once worked for told me that he remembered the entire
instruction set of an ancient mainframe that we had both worked on 10
years before. "I suppose that you can too" he said, I had to tell him
that I couldn't recall a single instruction. The reason was that he had
become a manager in the mean time and had never worked on a machine
since, on the other hand, I'd worked on 2 more generations of machines
and had no reason to remember it.

As a man ages, his mind should move above his waist.

That is a natural consequence of aging for most of us, but it is nice to
take a dive back below now and again.

Patrick Turner.

Jan

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Keithr wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

Jan wrote:
fryzz wrote:

[...]

But only if you function and you find a woman still capable of
functioning.

Otherwise its like diving into a swimming pool at the deep end, without
any water there.

Your knowledge about swimming is useless.

You soon learn to make face saving moves.

Patrick Turner.

Patrick Turner.

Jan

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Bell[_2_] Ian Bell[_2_] is offline

Keithr wrote:

"Wisdom" is just accrued experience and knowledge so, in theory, it
should increase throughout life or at least until you start losing your
marbles. There are those however who either cannot or will not learn
from experience and are doomed to keep smacking their heads against the
same old brick wall for life.

No, wisdom is the ability to apply that accrued experience and knowledge
to new situations.

Cheers

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"Ian Bell" wrote in message
Keithr wrote:

"Wisdom" is just accrued experience and knowledge so, in theory, it
should increase throughout life or at least until you start losing your
marbles. There are those however who either cannot or will not learn from
experience and are doomed to keep smacking their heads against the same
old brick wall for life.

No, wisdom is the ability to apply that accrued experience and knowledge
to new situations.

Cheers

Ian

Years ago my father told me "Wisdom comes from experience and experience
comes from poor judgment." It seems we remember the lessons longer if they
come from our own hard knocks.
Ghost

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

:-:Ghost Chip:-: wrote:
"Ian Bell" wrote in message
Keithr wrote:
"Wisdom" is just accrued experience and knowledge so, in theory, it
should increase throughout life or at least until you start losing your
marbles. There are those however who either cannot or will not learn from
experience and are doomed to keep smacking their heads against the same
old brick wall for life.

No, wisdom is the ability to apply that accrued experience and knowledge
to new situations.

Cheers

Ian

Years ago my father told me "Wisdom comes from experience and experience
comes from poor judgment." It seems we remember the lessons longer if they
come from our own hard knocks.
Ghost

My boss many years ago once said, the only people who do not make
mistakes are the people who are not doing anything.

Cheers

ian
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Bell[_2_] Ian Bell[_2_] is offline

flipper wrote:
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 16:08:43 -0700, ":-:Ghost Chip:-:"
wrote:

"Ian Bell" wrote in message
Keithr wrote:
"Wisdom" is just accrued experience and knowledge so, in theory, it
should increase throughout life or at least until you start losing your
marbles. There are those however who either cannot or will not learn from
experience and are doomed to keep smacking their heads against the same
old brick wall for life.

No, wisdom is the ability to apply that accrued experience and knowledge
to new situations.

Cheers

Ian

Years ago my father told me "Wisdom comes from experience and experience
comes from poor judgment." It seems we remember the lessons longer if they
come from our own hard knocks.
Ghost

"Witticisms" are usually meant to emphasis a particular aspect of
something but, because they're also usually 'short', seldom sufficient
to encompass the totality of a complex subject.

I suspect your father was trying to emphasis the learning one derives
from mistakes (fits a modesty model) but, IMO, Ian is correct in
saying wisdom means the ability to apply the lessons one hopefully
learns from the experience.

Of course, then there's the problem of whether one learned the
'correct' lesson or 'unwisely' came to a faulty conclusion.

Indeed, and there's that other old adage about experience. I have 20
years experience, said the interviewee. Is that 20 years of different
experience or one year's experience repeated 20 times?, asked the
interviewer.

Cheers

Ian