Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] david.dartley@gmail.com is offline

Default Anyone ever buy "B Stock" equip and later regret it?

I've found some good prices on ebay for stereo receivers I'm
considering, but they're "b stock."

The seller promises a 1 year warranty (not as long as manufacturer's),
promises they're in great condition, and the price, if they turned out
to be lemons, wouldn't exactly destroy me. Still, I'm nervous.
Anyone have strong opinions on whether such purchase would be safe?

Thank
Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote...
I've found some good prices on ebay for stereo receivers I'm
considering, but they're "b stock."

The seller promises a 1 year warranty (not as long as manufacturer's),
promises they're in great condition, and the price, if they turned out
to be lemons, wouldn't exactly destroy me. Still, I'm nervous.
Anyone have strong opinions on whether such purchase would be safe?

I buy B-stock (or "remanufactured") equipment whenever
available. My experience is that you get equivalent function,
etc. to new, but at a good discounted price. I am referring to
professional equipment (both audio and video) however, not
consumer entertainment stuff.

HOWEVER! I am very selective in who I buy B-stock from,
and I expect the manufacturer's NEW WARRANTY since it
should be from an authorized dealer. If they aren't offering the
mfg's new warranty, then I smell a rat and the equipment is not
"B-stock" as I understand the definition. I would share you
reluctance to trust a vendor with the conditions as you have
stated them. I would also not expect to buy true "B-stock"
equipment on eBay, at least IME.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message

I've found some good prices on ebay for stereo receivers
I'm considering, but they're "b stock."

The seller promises a 1 year warranty (not as long as
manufacturer's), promises they're in great condition, and
the price, if they turned out to be lemons, wouldn't
exactly destroy me. Still, I'm nervous. Anyone have
strong opinions on whether such purchase would be safe?

You're the wrong question. Everybody who buys enough stuff, no matter how
careful they are, ends up getting stung sooner or later. True if even you
buy nothing but new warranted merchandise? Have I ever bought gear that
didn't last very long, but still outlasted the company that warranteed it?
Yup!

Have I ever been disappointed by some B stock? Yes, I think that 20 years
ago I bought my son a B-stock Sony CD player that only lasted about 6
months.

Have I bought dozens of pieces of B-stock by various means and been very
happy? Yes. I even bought more Sony B-stock right after the bad experience.

However, buying B stock on eBay compounds the risk. You never know how long
a small eBay seller will be around. Do you think that anybody ever ruined
their reputation on eBay with a lot of bad deals, and got a new email
address and set up a *new* business overnight? :-(

If the eBay seller has like 99.9+ positive feedback and sold 1,000 or 10,000
items, then IME its a pretty safe deal.

I buy a lot of B stock from eCost.com . I'm more confident of them, because
they have a huge business, sell a ton of B stock, and have been around for
years. They also sell a ton of A stock.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias[_2_] Mark D. Zacharias[_2_] is offline

wrote in message
I've found some good prices on ebay for stereo receivers I'm
considering, but they're "b stock."

The seller promises a 1 year warranty (not as long as manufacturer's),
promises they're in great condition, and the price, if they turned out
to be lemons, wouldn't exactly destroy me. Still, I'm nervous.
Anyone have strong opinions on whether such purchase would be safe?

Thank

I get to work on a fair amount of "B-stock" equipment. It's a crap shoot.

I have a B-stock Marantz surround receiver in the shop right now. No
question it had a failure, but it won't act up in the shop, and I don't
expect it to. A glitchy problem, almost guaranteed to re-occur. The customer
is going to be fighting this one - I'm going to have to send it back as "no
problem found", and suggest he try to get it exchanged instead.
B-Stock units are only checked superficially at best, and they let the buyer
do the QC.

Mark Z.