Posted to rec.audio.pro
ventolin ventolin is offline

Default Choosing a mic for the Edirol R-09

What do I need to consider when buying a mic for the Edirol R-09 I'm
going to buy?
Any suggestions?

I'm planning to use it mainly for environmental and nature recordings.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 01:04:06 -0700, ventolin
wrote:

What do I need to consider when buying a mic for the Edirol R-09 I'm
going to buy?
Any suggestions?

I'm planning to use it mainly for environmental and nature recordings.

Low noise
Waterproof
Directional
Rugged
Good wind shield available

I'm sure there is more, but that will do for a start.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Aug 1, 4:04 am, ventolin wrote:
What do I need to consider when buying a mic for the Edirol R-09 I'm
going to buy?

I'm planning to use it mainly for environmental and nature recordings.

First, try the built-in mics. They actually sound pretty decent and
are probably just find for what you want to record. Don't get too
close to the bee hive.

At the Summer NAMM show, Edirol announced the availability of an
accessory wind screen that clips on to the front of the recorder and
is quite effective at cutting wind noise. Get one. That'll make your
outdoor recordings a lot more successful.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 1 Aug, 10:04, ventolin wrote:
What do I need to consider when buying a mic for the Edirol R-09 I'm
going to buy?
Any suggestions?

I'm planning to use it mainly for environmental and nature recordings.

Any specifik mics I should be checking out?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Aug 2, 3:19 am, ventolin wrote:

Any specifik mics I should be checking out?

Have you already dismissed the built-in mics? Have you ever tried one
with the built-in mics?

How much are you willing to spend, and how much haywire are you
willing to put up with? Any mics that are significantly better than
the internal ones will probably have XLR connectors and will require
phantom power. That means an external box. Sony has just started
shipping an external mic adapter for their PCM-D1 field recorder which
will work just fine with an R-09. It costs $500, and then you'll need
mics on top of that. What the heck, might as well get a Neumann
RSM-191. You're not going to give this up easily.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2 Aug, 15:35, Mike Rivers wrote:
On Aug 2, 3:19 am, ventolin wrote:

Any specifik mics I should be checking out?

Have you already dismissed the built-in mics? Have you ever tried one
with the built-in mics?

How much are you willing to spend, and how much haywire are you
willing to put up with? Any mics that are significantly better than
the internal ones will probably have XLR connectors and will require
phantom power. That means an external box. Sony has just started
shipping an external mic adapter for their PCM-D1 field recorder which
will work just fine with an R-09. It costs $500, and then you'll need
mics on top of that. What the heck, might as well get a Neumann
RSM-191. You're not going to give this up easily.

I am willing to spend max. 150 USD to get an extrenal mic that works
with the Edirol. So I guess that rules out mics that require phantom
power?
I read in several reviews that the built-in mics aren't really that
good when it comes to noise if you're recording quiet stuff. But let
me know if you disagree.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Aug 3, 7:14 am, ventolin wrote:

I read in several reviews that the built-in mics aren't really that
good when it comes to noise if you're recording quiet stuff. But let
me know if you disagree.

The way to get better performance when recording quiet stuff is either
with a shotgun mic (which will always muck with the fidelity, and good
ones are very expensive) or to get the mic closer to the source.

If you're trying to record birds in their nest, you could put an
external mic close to the nest, connect it to the recorder down on the
ground, and then wait for the birds to start chirping. That will give
you better results than if you just held the recorder under the tree
as high as you could get it. If this is what you're after, any
reasonable stereo mic that you can find in your price range will
probably be an improvement over the built-in mics, not because of
lower noise or better frequency response, but just because you can
position it better.

On the other hand, if you want to record the sound of traffic noise or
low flying aircraft, the built-in mics will do fine, but you should
get the new wind screen.

Audio-Technica has a stereo mic, the Pro24, that's in your price range
and will work fine with the R-09. It has a fixed 6 foot cable so you
might want to consider adding an extension cable for getting it close
to the wildlife.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wi...6b3/index.html

I can tell you that capturing "environmental" sounds isn't something
that just happens. You need to learn how the microphone hears things.
So start out with the basics. See what the built-in mics will and
won't do, and then when you understand what your problems are (if you
indeed have problems) then you can search out the right solution.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Kiwanda[_2_] Kiwanda[_2_] is offline

On Aug 3, 8:11 am, Mike Rivers wrote:

Audio-Technica has a stereo mic, the Pro24, that's in your price range
and will work fine with theR-09. It has a fixed 6 foot cable so you
might want to consider adding an extension cable for getting it close
to the wildlife.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wi...6b3/index.html

This is what I'm using with my R-09. The built-ins are actually pretty
good for general purpose recording, i.e. capturing a conference
session or as an audio sketch pad. I recorded a two hour session at a
conference last month that included a Q&A with people speaking all
over the hall; it's all audible on the recording, perhaps a bit easier
to hear than it was actually sitting there in fact. And the unit does
offer a bit of control over levels, low freq cut, etc.

The Pro24 is what I use when actually recording music or interviews.
With a small stand it's fairly unobtrusive and the results are pretty
good. My only concern is the fixed cable, which past experience tells
me will develop a short at the base no matter how well I treat it.

-kiwanda

Help in choosing a PT Joseph Meditz Vacuum Tubes 11 October 10th 06 09:38 PM
Need Help Choosing an Amp markw51 High End Audio 3 January 25th 06 01:28 AM
choosing a sub jstz8 Car Audio 1 October 15th 04 09:51 AM
Help choosing speakers Pringle1232 Car Audio 2 October 4th 04 07:57 PM
choosing the right mic Doctor Phibes Pro Audio 85 October 21st 03 07:16 PM