Posted to rec.audio.tech
kiwianalog kiwianalog is offline

Default can anyone identify this stylus and cartridge?

Hi, I bought a 2ndhand kenwood kd-55f turntable from a shop a couple of
weeks ago and was told by the guy that it had an audio technica needle, I
knew almost nothing at the time but was sceptical but he assured me this is
what it was but despite that I am now almost convinced it is not such a
thing as there are no markings on it of any kind and i am not even sure that
the needle can be removed from the cartridge which would be a very bad sign.
Anyhow if someone can confirm whether it is a audio technica and even better
what exactly it is it would be greatly appreciated. The link to a photo is
below.

http://www.pbase.com/kiwianalog/image/70416766

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"kiwianalog" kiwi@analog wrote in message
Hi, I bought a 2ndhand kenwood kd-55f turntable from a shop a couple of
weeks ago and was told by the guy that it had an audio technica needle, I
knew almost nothing at the time but was sceptical but he assured me this

is
what it was but despite that I am now almost convinced it is not such a
thing as there are no markings on it of any kind and i am not even sure

that
the needle can be removed from the cartridge which would be a very bad

sign.
Anyhow if someone can confirm whether it is a audio technica and even

better
what exactly it is it would be greatly appreciated. The link to a photo is
below.

http://www.pbase.com/kiwianalog/image/70416766

My more closeup pictures have now been uploaded here
http://www.pbase.com/kiwianalog/turntables

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Peter Larsen Peter Larsen is offline

kiwianalog wrote:

Hi, I bought a 2ndhand kenwood kd-55f turntable from a shop a couple
of weeks ago and was told by the guy that it had an audio technica
needle,

"Cartridge" generally includes "needle" as a component thereof, and not
all needles are designed to be detachable.

I knew almost nothing at the time but was sceptical but he
assured me this is what it was but despite that I am now almost
convinced it is not such a thing as there are no markings on it

It looks like the general shape of things Audio Technica, and it does
not appear improbable that Kenwood would have used A-T oem.

of any kind and i am not even sure that the needle can be removed
from the cartridge which would be a very bad sign.

Why would that be bad?

Anyhow if someone can confirm whether it is a audio technica and even better
what exactly it is it would be greatly appreciated. The link to a photo is
below.

http://www.pbase.com/kiwianalog/image/70416766

Cartridges are like brake disks, you replace them occasionally, and
doing just that is likely to be a good idea if you do not know age and
wear status - note that wear and/or deterioration of suspension is more
likely to be an issue than wear on the diamond.

Ortofon, Shure, Rega, etc. all come to mind. I am a great fan of high
output MC's .... the only reason for not wanting to get one could imo
be budget considerations, MM's cost less to buy and may offer needle
assembly replaceability, and while I prefer to advocate Ortofon I would
be misleading you if I did not also say that I have liked the overall
sound of the Rega cartridged I have heard welll considering their price
range.

Peter Larsen
Posted to rec.audio.tech
harrogate3 harrogate3 is offline

[...]

Have you removed the cartridge from the carrier? The make and model is
very often printed on the top.

As regards removing the 'needle' it is the whole of the yellow section
that comes off the body. Very carefully grip the sides of the stylus
housing and pull it forward - it comes out in a slightly downwards
sloping line. Don't pull too hard - if it is going to come out it will
do without much effort: some are not designed to be replaceable -
those type just won't budge.

What makes you think it needs replacing anyway? Removed the cartridge
carrier complete and look at the stylus end on with a powerful
magnifying lens or better still under a microscope. If it is damaged
it will be obvious.

You might find it cheaper to buy a complete new cartridge than to swap
the stylus. Look at Shure, Ortofon, Grado, AKG, even Audio-Technica,
although I admit I don't know if all/any are still in business. If you
can afford it a high output moving coil type (as distinct from a
'normal' moving iron) will pay for itself in the improvement in
quality. I used to have a Dynavector and it was superb. I currently
use and AT90E m-c with transformer and wouldn't change it for
anything - well anything I can afford anyway!!

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Peter Larsen" wrote in message
kiwianalog wrote:

[...]

Thanks, the cartridge looks contaminated with some sort of gunk although I
don't know if that affects operation because as far as I know there is no
electrical contact between the needle and cartridge.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"harrogate3" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks, i have positively identified the needle as this
http://www.styli.co.nz/stylus-335.html , have not removed the cartridge from
the headshell as suggested yet because I have to be careful that i can put
it back in the right alignment.

As regards removing the 'needle' it is the whole of the yellow section
that comes off the body. Very carefully grip the sides of the stylus
housing and pull it forward - it comes out in a slightly downwards
sloping line. Don't pull too hard - if it is going to come out it will
do without much effort: some are not designed to be replaceable -
those type just won't budge.

Thanks the downward sloping line bit was what was needed.

What makes you think it needs replacing anyway? Removed the cartridge
carrier complete and look at the stylus end on with a powerful
magnifying lens or better still under a microscope. If it is damaged
it will be obvious.

The fact that the sound quality is well below my new $100 cheapie turntable
was what makes me know something is wrong.
I will see if I can find someway to look at the needle like you say. Now the
needle is out i can see quite a bit of yellowy brown gunk contaminating the
cartridge.

You might find it cheaper to buy a complete new cartridge than to swap
the stylus. Look at Shure, Ortofon, Grado, AKG, even Audio-Technica,
although I admit I don't know if all/any are still in business. If you
can afford it a high output moving coil type (as distinct from a
'normal' moving iron) will pay for itself in the improvement in
quality. I used to have a Dynavector and it was superb. I currently
use and AT90E m-c with transformer and wouldn't change it for
anything - well anything I can afford anyway!!

So I take it from that that the needle is included when you buy a cartridge.
Probably won't go for a moving coil type because of cost.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[...]

Take it off the headshell - all you need to do when you put it back is
to make sure it is straight. It is - realistically - unlikely that it
has been professionally 'aligned' anyway. Make a mark on the underside
of the headshell with a sharp instrument - just a line along the front
edge of the cartridge body.

DO NOT work on appearances as shown on the web site. Many look alike
but are not compatible.

If the stylus (NOT 'needle') is dirty, clean it with a little meths or
isopropal alcohol on a cotton bud or similar. Just drag it from back
to front on the stylus arm with the very lightest pressure.

Also make sure the tracking weight is right - 2grms is a good start
point.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Posted to rec.audio.tech
kiwianalog kiwianalog is offline

Take it off the headshell - all you need to do when you put it back is
to make sure it is straight. It is - realistically - unlikely that it
has been professionally 'aligned' anyway. Make a mark on the underside
of the headshell with a sharp instrument - just a line along the front
edge of the cartridge body.

DO NOT work on appearances as shown on the web site. Many look alike
but are not compatible.

If the stylus (NOT 'needle') is dirty, clean it with a little meths or
isopropal alcohol on a cotton bud or similar. Just drag it from back
to front on the stylus arm with the very lightest pressure.

Also make sure the tracking weight is right - 2grms is a good start
point.

--
Woody

Thanks, I have put up some more photo's of needle and cartridge to show
condition, does the needle not suppose to extend from the back of the yellow
housing?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[...]

STYLUS STYLUS STYLUS - not needle!!!!!!

The stylus is usually fitted into a square tube (diagonally mounted)
in the housing. As the stylus arm moves inside the tube it interacts
with the magnetic field inside the body and generates an output
voltage. No, the stylus are does not extend at the back of the stylus
housing.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[...]

Thanks, yep having trouble figuring out the correct terminology, from what
you say it sounds like things are named different from what I would think.
The stylus also has 2 prongs on either side of it which I presume also
interact with the cartridge in some way, I presume they still don't make
physical contact with the cartridge.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
kiwianalog kiwianalog is offline

What makes you think it needs replacing anyway? Removed the cartridge
carrier complete and look at the stylus end on with a powerful
magnifying lens or better still under a microscope. If it is damaged
it will be obvious.

Could it do any harm to spray some alcohol cleaning solution into the
cartridge or some crc to clean the gunk out, can't find any reference to
doing this in my google searches.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
kiwianalog kiwianalog is offline

"harrogate3" wrote in message

Take it off the headshell - all you need to do when you put it back is
to make sure it is straight. It is - realistically - unlikely that it
has been professionally 'aligned' anyway. Make a mark on the underside
of the headshell with a sharp instrument - just a line along the front
edge of the cartridge body.

All it says on the cartridge is made in japan, and 230. Why the hell they
didn't label these things is beyond me.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
harrogate3 harrogate3 is offline

"kiwianalog" kiwi@analog wrote in message

What makes you think it needs replacing anyway? Removed the

cartridge
carrier complete and look at the stylus end on with a powerful
magnifying lens or better still under a microscope. If it is

damaged
it will be obvious.

Could it do any harm to spray some alcohol cleaning solution into

the
cartridge or some crc to clean the gunk out, can't find any

reference to
doing this in my google searches.

Whatever you do DO NOT put anything inside the cartridge. The insides
are very fragile and you could break connections etc.

Now you have the stylus out have a look at
http://www.a-v-a-online.com/acatalog...FRs9MAodFScKPQ
and see if there is anything that might give you a pointer.

Seems to me that your best route if you are not happy with what you
have would be to buy new?

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Karl Uppiano Karl Uppiano is offline

"kiwianalog" kiwi@analog wrote in message

What makes you think it needs replacing anyway? Removed the cartridge
carrier complete and look at the stylus end on with a powerful
magnifying lens or better still under a microscope. If it is damaged
it will be obvious.

Could it do any harm to spray some alcohol cleaning solution into the
cartridge or some crc to clean the gunk out, can't find any reference to
doing this in my google searches.

I am puzzled by your multiple references to gunk in the cartridge. I don't
know what they were playing, but normal vinyl records don't fill a cartridge
with gunk. If the cartridge is truly gunked up, it might not be salvageable.
I did not notice any gunk in the photos you posted, so I am not sure what
you are referring to. If there is something inside the cartridge body, it
might be wax or epoxy, to keep moisture out of the wiring. If that is the
case, it would be best not to attempt to remove it.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Karl Uppiano" wrote in message

[...]

It is a yellowy sticky grime, there are spots of it on the outside of the
cartridge too and I have noticed this on another old cartridge so maybe it
is the epoxy you are referring too and it has leaked out over the years.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[...]

Yeah the best route would have been to buy new but a bit late now I have
spent money on this one.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

kiwianalog wrote:

[...]

Don't you mean stylus are like disc brakes?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jon Kelly Jon Kelly is offline

This is definitely an Audio-Technica cartridge, with their unique
dual-magnet design. It appears to be an oem model -- sold to
manufacturers -- rather than one sold through dealers.

"kiwianalog" kiwi@analog wrote in message
Hi, I bought a 2ndhand kenwood kd-55f turntable from a shop a couple of
weeks ago and was told by the guy that it had an audio technica needle, I
knew almost nothing at the time but was sceptical but he assured me this
is
what it was but despite that I am now almost convinced it is not such a
thing as there are no markings on it of any kind and i am not even sure
that
the needle can be removed from the cartridge which would be a very bad
sign.
Anyhow if someone can confirm whether it is a audio technica and even
better
what exactly it is it would be greatly appreciated. The link to a photo is
below.

http://www.pbase.com/kiwianalog/image/70416766

Posted to rec.audio.tech

kiwianalog wrote:

Cartridges are like brake disks, you replace them occasionally,
and doing just that is likely to be a good idea if you do not
know age and wear status - note that wear and/or deterioration
of suspension is more likely to be an issue than wear on the
diamond.

Peter Larsen

Don't you mean stylus are like disc brakes?

Disk brakes are the total assembly, brake disks are one of the
replacable wear component, yes however, you are right with that
addressed, my fondness of high output MC's caused me to forget about
MM's and their replacable stylii.

Peter Larsen
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Peter Larsen Peter Larsen is offline

Seems to me that your best route if you are not happy with what you
have would be to buy new?

Woody

Yeah the best route would have been to buy new but a bit late
now I have spent money on this one.

I do not think he wanted to suggest that you should have gotten a new
grammophone, just that you should get a new cartridge, of course a new
needle assembly, aka stylus, for the one you have is a good first step.

Since it appeas to be a sanyo supplied A-T oem cartridge it might be a
good idea to ask the local Sanyo importer for what A-T sparepart to get.
Some of the time polite questions work and some of the time the bounce
off of a teflon wall of ignorance and customer disregard, you will know
what applies after having asked them ... O;-)

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech
kiwianalog kiwianalog is offline

Great that helps a lot and confirms my suspicion that the cartridge was very
old despite what the seller said, the needle looks ok though on eyeballing
it so maybe that's not so old.