Matt

Default Home Theater Speakers, Recomendations?

Hello,

I am in the market for a set of entry level set of 5.1 surround speakers,
looking to spend about $600.

Is that enough money to get away from the paper type speakers, towards
the rubber/poly type speakers? Any decent sets out there?

Thanks,
Matt

PS: Pleae CC my email!
Joseph Oberlander

Matt wrote:

Hello,

I am in the market for a set of entry level set of 5.1 surround speakers,
looking to spend about $600.

Is that enough money to get away from the paper type speakers, towards
the rubber/poly type speakers? Any decent sets out there?

Energy makes their Take 5.2 system. It frequently goes on sale for $600
and includes a real 8 inch subwoofer.

There are tons of used systems as well in that price range, though I'd
serisously consider upping your budget a couple hundred - the sound
difference between a $600 5.1 setpu and an $800 5.1 setup is nearly
double the quality. $1200 is a whole other world, BTW - seriously good
sound approaching a theater.

Haggle with him for the 7.1 set for $400 or $500, because he's not going
to get an offer close to that. Add in a decent subwoofer for $300-$400.
HSU is selling their VTF-2 for $450 right now on their site, which is a
bit over your budget, but that's free shipping and no sales tax, so
it's really closer to a $400 model you'd buy in a store.