Meekoe

Default Best Windows OS for Audio and Video editing

I have two PCs currently: one running Windows 98SE and the other Windows
2000 Professional. The 98SE machine runs most of my audio programs such as
Nuendo, Wavelab, etc.. The 2000 Pro is running my video programs. Now I'm
about to build another machine and I'm not an expert on Windows OS, but what
I'd like to know from other more experienced users is what is the most solid
Windows OS out there? I've heard XP Home edition is rock solid reliable.
True or False? I like 98SE because it's backwards compatible with every
piece of software and plugin I have, but crashes here and there. 2000 Pro
has lots of network related stuff I don't need and don't know how to work
around. Advice please...

TIA

Robert Morein

"Meekoe" wrote in message
I have two PCs currently: one running Windows 98SE and the other Windows
2000 Professional. The 98SE machine runs most of my audio programs such

as
Nuendo, Wavelab, etc.. The 2000 Pro is running my video programs. Now I'm
about to build another machine and I'm not an expert on Windows OS, but

what
I'd like to know from other more experienced users is what is the most

solid
Windows OS out there? I've heard XP Home edition is rock solid reliable.
True or False? I like 98SE because it's backwards compatible with every
piece of software and plugin I have, but crashes here and there. 2000 Pro
has lots of network related stuff I don't need and don't know how to work
around. Advice please...

TIA

Definitely not 98.
For a new machine, XP would be the choice.
A very, very few editing programs, which you are unlikely to encounter, have
specific requirements for either XP or 2000. Virtually all will run on
either.

Keith Clark

Meekoe wrote:

I have two PCs currently: one running Windows 98SE and the other Windows
2000 Professional. The 98SE machine runs most of my audio programs such as
Nuendo, Wavelab, etc.. The 2000 Pro is running my video programs. Now I'm
about to build another machine and I'm not an expert on Windows OS, but what
I'd like to know from other more experienced users is what is the most solid
Windows OS out there? I've heard XP Home edition is rock solid reliable.
True or False? I like 98SE because it's backwards compatible with every
piece of software and plugin I have, but crashes here and there. 2000 Pro
has lots of network related stuff I don't need and don't know how to work
around. Advice please...

TIA

It's really simple - If your hardware is more than the minimum required, there's
no need to "work around" anything.

Install Win2K, and a firewall, and a virus checker, and all the 10,000 critical
security updates, and a separate hardware firewall box, and you're good to go.

Or use Linux.

But Win98 SE is not a suitable OS for doing anything professional. If you do use
98SE, please reboot several times a day.

Andrew M.

Keith Clark wrote:

Meekoe wrote:

[...]

Running anti virus programs eats a lot of horsepower and makes an audio
system unreliable. There is no need for a software firewall AND a
hardware firewall (again it eats horsepower and decreases stability).
Run the hardware firewall and keep your workstation safely behind it.

Linux doesn't have any POWER apps for multitrack audio as far as I know.
Ardour might be cool when it's done but not many people are going to be
able to compile the source code and get it running on their own without
an installer ,not to mention installing and configuring JACK to handle
the audio I/O.

If you use 98SE then win2k or XP will be a very welcome upgrade for you.
The stability to performance ratio seriously tips in your favor on the
newer OS'.