Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

Default another bizarre audio circuit

On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 22:45:48 -0600, John - KD5YI
wrote:

On 3/2/2011 10:24 PM, John Larkin wrote:
On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 22:06:41 -0600, John -
wrote:

On 3/2/2011 8:52 PM, John Larkin wrote:
On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 20:40:27 -0600, John -
wrote:

On 3/2/2011 8:32 PM, John Larkin wrote:
On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 17:59:58 -0800 (PST), Bill Sloman
wrote:

On Mar 3, 2:11 am, John Larkin
wrote:
On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 18:36:25 -0600, John Fields

wrote:
On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 08:40:42 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:

I've always sort of liked the classic "GE" tape head/mic preamp
circuit:

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/GEcircuit.jpg

but it occurred to me that it might also make a nice headphone amp...

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/GE_headphone_amp.JPG

Audio tends to be nonsense, but at least the audio guys have fun
playing with circuits, whether they make a lot of sense or not.

John

---
Even though you scorn and ridicule audio, there's nothing wrong with
anyone seeking perfection there, just as there's nothing wrong with
your search for perfection in the genre which pleases _you_ to pursue.
So, speaking of fun, why don't you do a complete design and assign
values to the circuit components and identify the semiconductors?

You're not playing the game. You are sitting in the henhouse, clucking
about the people who do.

He's not playing your game, which involves telling John Larkin how
cute his circuits are.

He's not designing circuits, which is what this newsgroup is about.

You aren't either. Both of you start to cluck and peck when people do
design circuits. No surprise.

Or is that legwork _we're_ supposed to do in order to flesh out your
divine revelation?

Chickenleg work!

It's half the story - a few component values make it a lot easier to
work out what a circuit is doing.

You can't look at a circuit this simple and see what it's doing? OK,
no surprise.

John

Well, I thought designing a circuit included supplying component values.
No?

I posted topologies. Values can be scaled to the application, but you
need a topology first. If I were actually going to build this, for
money, of course I'd have to define specs and then compute values.
That's just grunt work.

John

Not really. I have a few circuits I could throw out and claim that they
are topologies and you would not be able to use them without values.
Granted, mine are more complex than the one being discussed, but I'm
hoping to make a point.

John (not Larkin)

I think circuit topologies are fun to play with. Lots of textbooks
show, and discuss, circuits without explicit values. Once you have a
topology, then you can proceed to specs and component values.

If you think all circuits should be posted with values, post some.

John

You are correct, John. Now you have a topology. Please post the
component values.

Thanks,
John

Given i/o specs, the DC analysis is simple. But there are two AC
aspects that are sort of interesting: the lf response, and loop
stability. I'm sort of disappointed that nobody has commented on
either.

As I'm disappointed in how many people want to whine and cluck about
personalities, and avoid actually discussing electronics.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Phil Hobbs[_2_] Phil Hobbs[_2_] is offline

John Larkin wrote:
On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 19:26:29 -0500, Bitrex
wrote:

On 3/2/2011 6:30 PM, John Larkin wrote:
On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 17:21:23 -0600, Vladimir Vassilevsky
wrote:

John Larkin wrote:

I've always sort of liked the classic "GE" tape head/mic preamp
circuit:

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/GEcircuit.jpg

Here is a couple of very low noise audio circuits for the same purpose:

http://www.abvolt.com/misc/inputs_audio.jpg

I like BJT and JFET in cascode.

The one on the left, with the base and gate connected, is sure cute.

John

I'm having a little trouble with the operation of that one. The way
it's set up, assuming the output sits at 0 volts won't the input BJT be
cut off?

Jfets usually run at negative gate voltage. Assume the transistor base
is at +0.7. The jfet source will be at some more positive voltage,
+2.5 maybe. That's enough to run the transistor.

Actually, you can cascode a transistor into the source of a fet that
has a grounded gate. In that case, the source/collector voltage might
be a volt or two. You would have to look at the fet transfer curve,
and know the design operating current, to see exactly what that
voltage might be.

The problem with jfets is the huge part-to-part variation in Idss and
transfer curves. A 10:1 datasheet spread in Idss isn't unusual.

+10v

gnd---------g

+------ Vs

10K

gnd

For a typical vanilla jfet in this circuit, Vs might be +1 to +4 volts
maybe.

John

BF862s are much better--cutoff to full on in half a volt or so. Their
transconductance is so high that even with a 2.5:1 range of I_DSS, the
spread of V_GS is pretty reasonable.

They're also very quiet, go about 700 MHz, and cost 20 cents. Other
than that, they stink.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Jeroen Belleman Jeroen Belleman is offline

Bitrex wrote:
On 3/2/2011 8:06 PM, John Larkin wrote:
Actually, you can cascode a transistor into the source of a fet that
has a grounded gate. In that case, the source/collector voltage might
be a volt or two. You would have to look at the fet transfer curve,
and know the design operating current, to see exactly what that
voltage might be.

I'm foggy on how such a cascode reduces noise - improved distortion,
bandwidth, and PSRR I can understand but how does two transistors end up
less noisy than one? I know with tubes a cascode was considered a low
noise alternative since two triodes in cascode would have lower noise
than a single pentode, with similar gain.

As far as I can see, a cascode has the same noise as its bottom
transistor, near enough. The virtue of a cascode is that it
greatly reduces the effect of the Miller capacitance, so you
get more bandwidth and less input capacitance.

Jeroen Belleman
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Bill Sloman Bill Sloman is offline

On Mar 3, 3:32*am, John Larkin
wrote:
On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 17:59:58 -0800 (PST), Bill Sloman

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Without the component values, it does take a moment's thought, which
is wasted on a bizarre (if simple) circuit with few potential
applications.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech

Jeroen Belleman wrote:
Bitrex wrote:
[...]

At high frequency, you get noise from the output feeding back via Miller
capacitance. Cascoding can help that.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech

Phil Hobbs wrote:
John Larkin wrote:

The problem with jfets is the huge part-to-part variation in Idss and
transfer curves. A 10:1 datasheet spread in Idss isn't unusual.

+10v

gnd---------g

+------ Vs

10K

gnd

For a typical vanilla jfet in this circuit, Vs might be +1 to +4 volts
maybe.

John

BF862s are much better--cutoff to full on in half a volt or so. Their
transconductance is so high that even with a 2.5:1 range of I_DSS, the
spread of V_GS is pretty reasonable.

They're also very quiet, go about 700 MHz, and cost 20 cents. Other
than that, they stink.

Indeed, when I discovered their existence back in 2001, I could hardly
believe the datasheet. I'd never seen a JFET with a ratio of yfs/Cin
that high. That, and with only 0.8nV/rtHz input-referred noise. I love
it.

Jeroen Belleman
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Jon Kirwan Jon Kirwan is offline

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 02:14:13 -0500, Phil Hobbs
wrote:

snip of BF862 discussion

They're also very quiet, go about 700 MHz, and cost 20 cents. Other
than that, they stink.

You need to spend some hundreds of dollars in one buy in
order to get close to that price/unit, don't you?

Jon
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
MakeNoAttemptToAdjustYourSet MakeNoAttemptToAdjustYourSet is offline

On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 23:07:38 -0600, John - KD5YI
wrote:

Moer proof of you utter stupidity. I have posted links several times
here to photo sites that have all of my library of photos that I feel
someone could see.

Really?

Yes, dumb****.

I could post a photo site

Yes, if your IQ wasn't that of a circus flea.

of anyone I choose

No, you cannot. You can only post YOUR site. If you post someone
else's site you are posting THEIR site, you dumb whore for a mother
*******.

and you would not
have any idea they were not mine.

Can you really be that stupid? I alter my original assessment. Your
IQ is only 15.

I discard that

Good for you. I don't give a fat flying **** what you retain or
discard, you pathetic, meaningless piece of ****.

claim of your proof of
technical abilities unless you can back it up.

The posts are already in the group, bitch. Posted way back in the
threads they were originally posted in, ya little bitch.

Your lame refutation falls short of one main ingredient. That being
credibility. My original posts, which you failed to examine, are fine
and are still there for all to see. So much for them belonging to
someone else.

Can you really be that stupid?
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
John Fields John Fields is offline

wrote:

[...]

I'm playing, all right, just not the way you find acceptable, which is
to heap adulation on you.

But there's nothing new there, since you almost always blame the
mirror when its reflection doesn't please you.
---

Or is that legwork _we're_ supposed to do in order to flesh out your
divine revelation?

Chickenleg work!

John

---
Methinks the chicken resides on _your_ roost, since by not doing the
legwork he avoids any criticism which could arise from errors he might
make.

---
JF
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
John Fields John Fields is offline

On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 18:32:42 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:

On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 17:59:58 -0800 (PST), Bill Sloman
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Well, I'd say that the ratio of my technical to non-technical articles
is about 10:1, while yours is about 1:10, and over the years I'd be
willing to bet that I've posted about 10 times more designs, fully
worked out, with component values included and, lately, simulated,
than you have.
---

You aren't either. Both of you start to cluck and peck when people do
design circuits. No surprise.

---
Actually, what you like to call "clucking and pecking" is nothing more
than criticism, but you try to cast it in a light which mitigates its
validity by besmirching the veracity of the criticizer.
---

Or is that legwork _we're_ supposed to do in order to flesh out your
divine revelation?

Chickenleg work!

It's half the story - a few component values make it a lot easier to
work out what a circuit is doing.

You can't look at a circuit this simple and see what it's doing? OK,
no surprise.

John

---
If he can't, so what?

Why not make it better by helping him out with a few component values
and a circuit description instead of making it worse by insulting him
for no reason?

---
JF

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
John Fields John Fields is offline

On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 18:52:53 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:

On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 20:40:27 -0600, John - KD5YI
wrote:

Well, I thought designing a circuit included supplying component values.
No?

I posted topologies. Values can be scaled to the application, but you
need a topology first. If I were actually going to build this, for
money, of course I'd have to define specs and then compute values.
That's just grunt work.

John

---
Being the grunt work that it is, then, one should be able to take a
schematic devoid of component values and then hand it over to a grunt
with the expectation of getting back a working circuit some time
later?

One thing about topologies which is misleading is that if the
component values aren't defined, the topology might look fine but the
realization of the circuit will be impossible under economic or
technical constraints.

An example which springs to mind is a circuit which was posted some
time back which looked good, but which on closer inspection you said
needed a choke with an inductance of near 1 henry, as I recall, and a
Q of about 200 somewhere in the audio range.

I went looking for one, just for grins, but found only unobtanium so,
unless I missed something, (got a source?) your guess was wrong and
the topology bogus.

---
JF
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

wrote:

Well, I thought designing a circuit included supplying component values.
No?

I posted topologies. Values can be scaled to the application, but you
need a topology first. If I were actually going to build this, for
money, of course I'd have to define specs and then compute values.
That's just grunt work.

John

---
Being the grunt work that it is, then, one should be able to take a
schematic devoid of component values and then hand it over to a grunt
with the expectation of getting back a working circuit some time
later?

"One" should? I couldn't say. I usually design all of a circuit
myself, but if we brainstorm/whiteboard circuits, we may include
values, or one of the people might go off and finish it. Could be me,
could be somebody else, whoever is responsible or volunteers. We
usually check one anothers' work before we release a board. We have no
techs, so everybody does grunt work.

But all circuit designs start with ideas and topologies. If someone
has never seen a folded cascode, or an opamp's V+ used as a signal
output, or a bootstrapped photodiode, all I may need to do is present
the concept, and then they can run with it.

The laser controller I'm working on now, all the resistors on one
sheet are 100 ohms and all the caps are 0.33u. That reduces the grunt
work considerably. This scheamtic will run about 25 B-size sheets, and
I'll do maybe 18 or so of them, with other people contributing others,
like the FPGA, the ARM, and the PCIe interface. This is a rush job, 7
weeks from start to 1st article, so several people are tossing in
sheets.

One thing about topologies which is misleading is that if the
component values aren't defined, the topology might look fine but the
realization of the circuit will be impossible under economic or
technical constraints.

Sure. A complete electrical/thermal/mechanical design ought to be done
before something goes into production. Lotta grunt work. Newsgroups
are for playing with ideas without consequences.

An example which springs to mind is a circuit which was posted some
time back which looked good, but which on closer inspection you said
needed a choke with an inductance of near 1 henry, as I recall, and a
Q of about 200 somewhere in the audio range.

I went looking for one, just for grins, but found only unobtanium so,
unless I missed something, (got a source?) your guess was wrong and
the topology bogus.

Bogus? Because you can't order some part? Nothing wrong with playing
with a topology if it might work. Whether it's practical or affordable
is part of the downstream analysis. If every idea has to be
immediately and exhaustively analyzed for cost and parts availability
and subtleties, you won't come up with many ideas.

As usual, you're just being bitchy. Why are you so hostile to playing
with ideas? Why do you refuse to do it yourself?

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 00:10:16 -0800 (PST), Bill Sloman
wrote:

On Mar 3, 3:32*am, John Larkin
wrote:
On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 17:59:58 -0800 (PST), Bill Sloman

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Millions of the "GE" circuit have been used for decades. The mosfet
hybrid is a very reasonable headphone amp.

Post a circuit, doofus. You've forgotten how to do anything but whine.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

wrote:

On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 17:59:58 -0800 (PST), Bill Sloman
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

All you ever criticize is my personality. You said nothing about this
circuit. On the rare occasion when you do post a circuit, or critize
one, you're usually wrong the first few times.

Old hen.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

wrote:

[...]

You're whining about everything but the circuit. Diversionary tactic.

Old hen.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
John Fields John Fields is offline

wrote:

An example which springs to mind is a circuit which was posted some
time back which looked good, but which on closer inspection you said
needed a choke with an inductance of near 1 henry, as I recall, and a
Q of about 200 somewhere in the audio range.

I went looking for one, just for grins, but found only unobtanium so,
unless I missed something, (got a source?) your guess was wrong and
the topology bogus.

Bogus? Because you can't order some part?

---
Because it's unorderable, AFAIK.

Find me an inductor with an inductance of 1 henry and a Q of 200 at
1000Hz, OK?

After all, it was _your_ call, not mine.
---

Nothing wrong with playing
with a topology if it might work. Whether it's practical or affordable
is part of the downstream analysis. If every idea has to be
immediately and exhaustively analyzed for cost and parts availability
and subtleties, you won't come up with many ideas.

---
The impossibility of an idea not working isn't a barrier to the
initial flash, so why would you say something like that?
---

As usual, you're just being bitchy.

---
No, as usual, I'm being critical, and you don't like it when the
finger's being pointed at you.
---

Why are you so hostile to playing with ideas? Why do you refuse to do
it yourself?

---
Straw man.
---

John

---
JF
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

wrote:

[...]

Stop whining and clucking about personalities and design some
electronics. That's not a straw man, that's what this ng is about.

Think about what happens to my bizarre headphone amp if the inductor
is replaced with a constant-current source.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
John Fields John Fields is offline

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 07:15:31 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 06:39:42 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

---
Actually, what you like to call "clucking and pecking" is nothing more
than criticism, but you try to cast it in a light which mitigates its
validity by besmirching the veracity of the criticizer.

All you ever criticize is my personality.

---
Not true.

I usually criticize some aspect of your work which is flawed and then,
when you refuse to acknowledge the flaw, criticize that part of your
personality which is scared to death to admit to error.

Remember the relays with infinite gain, for example?
---

You said nothing about this circuit.

---
Nor will I, since I don't care anything about it.
---

On the rare occasion when you do post a circuit, or critize
one, you're usually wrong the first few times.

---
Even if that were true, which it isn't, at least I admit to error and
fix the problem, whereas you try to fix the blame.

In truth, I post and criticize circuits quite often, and on a rare
occasion I'll be wrong with one or the other or both.

Of course my record pales next to yours since you never make mistakes,
eh?
---

Old hen.

John

---
Ah, yes, the contribution of the banty rooster is so much greater than
that of the hens since without his crowing the sun couldn't rise.

---
JF
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
John Fields John Fields is offline

wrote:

You're not playing the game. You are sitting in the henhouse, clucking
about the people who do.

---
I'm playing, all right, just not the way you find acceptable, which is
to heap adulation on you.

You're whining about everything but the circuit. Diversionary tactic.

Old hen.

John

---
I see.

Now I'm supposed to be coerced into getting into an argument with you
about your crap circuit?

Better luck next time, dude.

---
JF
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Pomegranate Bastard Pomegranate Bastard is offline

wrote:

Moer proof of you utter stupidity. I have posted links several times
here to photo sites that have all of my library of photos that I feel
someone could see.

Really?

Yes, dumb****.

I could post a photo site

Yes, if your IQ wasn't that of a circus flea.

of anyone I choose

No, you cannot. You can only post YOUR site. If you post someone
else's site you are posting THEIR site, you dumb whore for a mother
*******.

and you would not
have any idea they were not mine.

Can you really be that stupid? I alter my original assessment. Your
IQ is only 15.

What is your IQ, Mr Nymbecile?

I discard that

Good for you. I don't give a fat flying **** what you retain or
discard, you pathetic, meaningless piece of ****.

claim of your proof of
technical abilities unless you can back it up.

The posts are already in the group, bitch. Posted way back in the
threads they were originally posted in, ya little bitch.

Your lame refutation falls short of one main ingredient. That being
credibility. My original posts, which you failed to examine, are fine
and are still there for all to see. So much for them belonging to
someone else.

Can you really be that stupid?

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

wrote:

You're not playing the game. You are sitting in the henhouse, clucking
about the people who do.

---
I'm playing, all right, just not the way you find acceptable, which is
to heap adulation on you.

You're whining about everything but the circuit. Diversionary tactic.

Old hen.

John

---
I see.

Good. I'm glad we finally agree on something.

Now I'm supposed to be coerced into getting into an argument with you
about your crap circuit?

I suppose it would be cruel to trick you into discussing electronics.
So, keep on cluckin' !!!

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
John Fields John Fields is offline

wrote:

You're not playing the game. You are sitting in the henhouse, clucking
about the people who do.

---
I'm playing, all right, just not the way you find acceptable, which is
to heap adulation on you.

You're whining about everything but the circuit. Diversionary tactic.

Old hen.

John

---
I see.

Good. I'm glad we finally agree on something.

Now I'm supposed to be coerced into getting into an argument with you
about your crap circuit?

I suppose it would be cruel to trick you into discussing electronics.
So, keep on cluckin' !!!

---
The truth _is_ you have less of an interest in discussing electronics
in a give-and-take kind of way than you do in exalting yourself, so I
prefer to generally opt out of any threads you infect.

---
JF
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

wrote:

[...]

I didn't "infect" this thread, I started it. So why have you posted so
much cluckey blather here?

You refuse to discuss this circuit, then you attack me personally for
not doing give-and-take discussion of this circuit!

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech

Jon Kirwan wrote:
On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 02:14:13 -0500, Phil Hobbs
wrote:

snip of BF862 discussion

They're also very quiet, go about 700 MHz, and cost 20 cents. Other
than that, they stink.

You need to spend some hundreds of dollars in one buy in
order to get close to that price/unit, don't you?

Jon

I bought myself a reel for $600 or so from Newark. Given that JFET
makers have been dropping like flies lately, I'll probably buy a couple
more reels over the next few months. That way I can keep designing them
in even if they go away. (Crossed fingers.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
John Fields John Fields is offline

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 10:22:31 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 12:07:36 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

---
The truth _is_ you have less of an interest in discussing electronics
in a give-and-take kind of way than you do in exalting yourself, so I
prefer to generally opt out of any threads you infect.

---
JF

I didn't "infect" this thread, I started it.

---
Then it was diseased from the beginning.
---

So why have you posted so much cluckey blather here?

---
You call it "cluckey blather" in an attempt to belittle it, I call it
what it is: criticism.
---

You refuse to discuss this circuit, then you attack me personally for
not doing give-and-take discussion of this circuit!

---
It's not an attack, it's an observation, and it's not about this
circuit in particular, it's about your fanatical need to be in
control.

---
JF

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
[email protected] langwadt@fonz.dk is offline

On 2 Mar., 17:40, John Larkin
wrote:
I've always sort of liked the classic "GE" tape head/mic preamp
circuit:

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/GEcircuit.jpg

but it occurred to me that it might also make a nice headphone amp...

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/GE_headphone_amp.JPG

Audio tends to be nonsense, but at least the audio guys have fun
playing with circuits, whether they make a lot of sense or not.

John

speaking of bizarre : http://tubetime.us/?p=85
I'm sure someone here will love it

-Lasse
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Bill Sloman Bill Sloman is offline

On Mar 3, 4:12*pm, John Larkin
wrote:
On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 00:10:16 -0800 (PST), Bill Sloman

wrote:
On Mar 3, 3:32 am, John Larkin
wrote:
On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 17:59:58 -0800 (PST), Bill Sloman

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

You are the one who complains all the time. You may have personal
preferences about the nature of the threads that get started here, and
the responses that get posted, but they are only of interest to you.

You are welcome to demonstrate your preferences by choosing to get
involved with particular threads and in your particular reactions to
other responses, but your whining about the nature of those responses
doesn't make the group a more attractive or rewarding environment.

In the meantime, I'll post a circuit when I've got a circuit worth
posting. Posting a example - without comnponent values - of a circuit
that has been used in millions, for decades, doesn't strike me as a
profitable use of bandwidth, but that is a personal preference.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Bill Sloman Bill Sloman is offline

wrote:

On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 17:59:58 -0800 (PST), Bill Sloman
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Waste of time. Unfortunately, it isn't going to change.

I largely confine myself to criticising the alleged facts that you
post from time to time - you are an uncritical consumer of right-wing
propaganda, with a depressing tendency to recycle it here. This isn't
a personality defect - though the fact that you keep on doing it does
reflect an unfortunate strain of insecure vanity - but rather reflects
you failure to learn critical thinking during your tertiary education,
presumably because you confined your attention to subjects that you
understood to be immediately useful.

snip

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 15:21:33 -0800 (PST), Bill Sloman
wrote:

On Mar 3, 4:12*pm, John Larkin
wrote:
On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 00:10:16 -0800 (PST), Bill Sloman

wrote:
On Mar 3, 3:32 am, John Larkin
wrote:
On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 17:59:58 -0800 (PST), Bill Sloman

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

What I did was spin a signal-level bipolar circuit into a
bipolar-mosfet power amp of similar topology.

The resulting dynamics is very interesting. Well, not to you.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

wrote:

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 12:07:36 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

---
The truth _is_ you have less of an interest in discussing electronics
in a give-and-take kind of way than you do in exalting yourself, so I
prefer to generally opt out of any threads you infect.

---
JF

I didn't "infect" this thread, I started it.

---
Then it was diseased from the beginning.
---

So why have you posted so much cluckey blather here?

---
You call it "cluckey blather" in an attempt to belittle it, I call it
what it is: criticism.

Criticism would have some content. You know, something having to do
with the circuit. All you've done is whine.

---

You refuse to discuss this circuit, then you attack me personally for
not doing give-and-take discussion of this circuit!

---
It's not an attack, it's an observation, and it's not about this
circuit in particular, it's about your fanatical need to be in
control.

Electronic design is all about control. Of signals.

But you probably meant some sort of personal control. How does posting
a circuit, and opening it for discussion, suggest control? I thought
discussing circuits is what s.e.d. is for.

You're just a crabby old git who won't discuss electronics.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 14:42:40 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On 2 Mar., 17:40, John Larkin
wrote:
I've always sort of liked the classic "GE" tape head/mic preamp
circuit:

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/GEcircuit.jpg

but it occurred to me that it might also make a nice headphone amp...

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/GE_headphone_amp.JPG

Audio tends to be nonsense, but at least the audio guys have fun
playing with circuits, whether they make a lot of sense or not.

John

speaking of bizarre : http://tubetime.us/?p=85
I'm sure someone here will love it

-Lasse

Wild. Sort of a single-slope ADC and a PWM driver. I wonder what the
sensitivity is like.

I bet you do a similar thing with a single tiny-logic schmitt gate.
Vaguely a superregenerative idea, namely triggering along a slowly
decaying exponential.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
John Fields John Fields is offline

On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 14:42:40 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On 2 Mar., 17:40, John Larkin
wrote:
I've always sort of liked the classic "GE" tape head/mic preamp
circuit:

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/GEcircuit.jpg

but it occurred to me that it might also make a nice headphone amp...

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/GE_headphone_amp.JPG

Audio tends to be nonsense, but at least the audio guys have fun
playing with circuits, whether they make a lot of sense or not.

John

speaking of bizarre : http://tubetime.us/?p=85
I'm sure someone here will love it

-Lasse

---
11 !!!

---
JF
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers is offline

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 08:59:38 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:

Stop whining and clucking about personalities

Stop with the retarded colloquialisms (or attempts at them). You
stupid ****. That is about as plain as it gets.

You show with nearly every post just how little a man you are. If you
even get that qualification.
Your personality is that of a circus flea.

Dance, mother****er.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
My Name Is Tzu How Do You Do My Name Is Tzu How Do You Do is offline

wrote:

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 06:39:42 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

---
[...]

That's funny.

It brought up a memory of work today, we saw that weird food guy and
some "chef" somewhere was frying up a whole pan full of rooster mop tops
(the little frilly things on their heads).

I can't believe some of the stuff that guy eats.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Bill Sloman Bill Sloman is offline

On Mar 4, 12:49*am, John Larkin
wrote:
On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 15:21:33 -0800 (PST), Bill Sloman

wrote:
On Mar 3, 4:12 pm, John Larkin
wrote:
On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 00:10:16 -0800 (PST), Bill Sloman

wrote:
On Mar 3, 3:32 am, John Larkin
wrote:
On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 17:59:58 -0800 (PST), Bill Sloman

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I haven't got a relevant application at the moment, so of course it
isn't interesting to me.

The universe is full of potentially interesting things. Some of them
are also interesting to other people. If you weren't quite so self-
obsessed, you might not expect everybody else to be interested in what
happens to have caught your fancy today.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers is offline

On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 14:42:40 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On 2 Mar., 17:40, John Larkin
wrote:
I've always sort of liked the classic "GE" tape head/mic preamp
circuit:

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/GEcircuit.jpg

but it occurred to me that it might also make a nice headphone amp...

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/GE_headphone_amp.JPG

Audio tends to be nonsense, but at least the audio guys have fun
playing with circuits, whether they make a lot of sense or not.

John

speaking of bizarre : http://tubetime.us/?p=85
I'm sure someone here will love it

-Lasse

Pretty good stuff.

It will go way over Sloman's head.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Bill Sloman Bill Sloman is offline

On Mar 4, 3:31*am, Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers
wrote:
On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 14:42:40 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:
On 2 Mar., 17:40, John Larkin
wrote:
I've always sort of liked the classic "GE" tape head/mic preamp
circuit:

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/GEcircuit.jpg

but it occurred to me that it might also make a nice headphone amp...

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/GE_headphone_amp.JPG

Audio tends to be nonsense, but at least the audio guys have fun
playing with circuits, whether they make a lot of sense or not.

John

speaking of bizarre :http://tubetime.us/?p=85
I'm sure someone here will love it

-Lasse

* Pretty good stuff.

* It will go way over Sloman's head.

Along with the hundred other things a boy can do with a 555.

So someone has used a 555 to make a less than impressive radio-
receiver. Why would anybody be interested, if they hadn't fixated on
the device early in their career and never moved on?

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
George Herold George Herold is offline

On Mar 3, 6:49*pm, John Larkin
wrote:
On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 15:21:33 -0800 (PST), Bill Sloman

wrote:
On Mar 3, 4:12 pm, John Larkin
wrote:
On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 00:10:16 -0800 (PST), Bill Sloman

wrote:
On Mar 3, 3:32 am, John Larkin
wrote:
On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 17:59:58 -0800 (PST), Bill Sloman

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

John- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, I didn't get the inductor part. Do I have to spice it? Or does
it have to do with head phone dynamics.

Say, and what about using the postive rail of an opamp as an output?
I never heard of that.

George H.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
George Herold George Herold is offline

On Mar 3, 10:08*pm, George Herold wrote:
On Mar 3, 6:49*pm, John Larkin

wrote:
On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 15:21:33 -0800 (PST), Bill Sloman

wrote:
On Mar 3, 4:12 pm, John Larkin
wrote:
On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 00:10:16 -0800 (PST), Bill Sloman

wrote:
On Mar 3, 3:32 am, John Larkin
wrote:
On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 17:59:58 -0800 (PST), Bill Sloman

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers is offline

wrote:
On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 14:42:40 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:
On 2 Mar., 17:40, John Larkin
wrote:
I've always sort of liked the classic "GE" tape head/mic preamp
circuit:

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/GEcircuit.jpg

but it occurred to me that it might also make a nice headphone amp...

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/GE_headphone_amp.JPG

Audio tends to be nonsense, but at least the audio guys have fun
playing with circuits, whether they make a lot of sense or not.

John

speaking of bizarre :http://tubetime.us/?p=85
I'm sure someone here will love it

-Lasse

* Pretty good stuff.

* It will go way over Sloman's head.

Along with the hundred other things a boy can do with a 555.

So someone has used a 555 to make a less than impressive radio-
receiver. Why would anybody be interested, if they hadn't fixated on
the device early in their career and never moved on?

Oh, sorry, oh guru.

You are right, that is what 90% of the rest of the world has done. Not
moved on.

Or could it be that it is *you* that has the problem?

You are the one that is not impressive.

Separate circuit for audio equipment [email protected] High End Audio 14 January 6th 09 05:05 PM
bizarre audio problem Dan Car Audio 10 March 15th 08 02:24 PM
Hybrid telephone audio circuit 2 Audiomix Pro Audio 9 June 17th 04 02:51 PM
Bizarre Duet...your thoughts please SDOLMER Pro Audio 11 March 23rd 04 05:18 PM
OP-AMP like circuit in old audio amp (P-P) in old radio Robert Casey Vacuum Tubes 75 October 1st 03 11:58 PM