ryanm

Default How to get video and/or audio tape to web site?

wrote in message
We are upgrading a PC computer soon and would like to be able to transfer
client video/audio tapes to our website. (Usually only a few minutes each)

Having no idea where to start or what I need - anyone point me in the

right
direction? (I realize there might be more than one right direction)

I believe I'll need a video/audio card to accept input from VCR or Audio
Tape machine, probably a little software. Does not need to be top of the
line professional stuff, but not low end either. Would prefer machine to
stay in 2k range

Best format for website? AVI? MPEG?

You can use any reasonably fast computer, and buy an add on kit to
capture video and audio from VHS. Pinnacle and Dazzle both make reasonably
good low cost solutions that come with both hardware and software, and you
should be able to find both of them on the web. It's not exactly a simply
process, so expect a bit of a learning curve if you've never done it before.

As for format, that's debatable. Personally, I find the quicktime format
to be by far the superior video *format* for the web, but the player leaves
a bit to be desired on the pc. Avoid Real technologies like the plague. MPEG
works great, but doesn't give file sizes as small as quicktime compressed
with the Sorensen codec. For the best compatibility for all users for
playing in a browser, make quicktime movies with the sorensen codec, don't
compress them very much, import them into FlashMX and let flash do the
compression, and export as a streaming swf file. The flash player has a
better than 96% market saturation (*everyone* has it), it is an inherently
streamed format (doesn't have to be completely downloaded to begin viewing
the file), and allows integration of links and interactivity if you want it.

No matter how you do it, video on the web just isn't very good yet. You
are stuck between huge file sizes and crappy looking video. You have to find
the best compromise for your purpose, so it may be large mpegs for better
audio quality, small quicktime vids for better video quality, or something
in between.

ryanm