Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

Default Best Vertically polarized FM Antenna ??

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 18:12:46 -0700, James wrote
(in article ):

I have a vacation cabin located in the mountains, at 4200 feet above sea
level. We get good tv, with a directional antenna, from stations up to
150 miles away.

We are within "tuning" distance of literally hundreds of fm radio
stations, from all directions.

I have just purchased the new Sony XDRF1HD HD Radio Tuner, and I want to
experiment with listening to HD FM radio stations available in my area. I
do NOT want a directional antenna.

I know that a simple cross-polarized fm antenna would be a pretty decent
antenna at this height, but I would like something different, and it seems
that I have seen or heard of a fairly new vertical fm antenna. I am also
not sure if it is an amplified antenna or not. Although I don't rule out
an amplified antenna, I don't think that I need one.

Does anyone here have a recommendation for a very good, high quality,
vertically polarized fm antenna ? I would prefer comments from people who
have actually used them, or at least has a friend that has the product
recommended.

Thanks !!

James

What's wrong with using the same antenna you use for TV?

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
Steve Urbach Steve Urbach is offline

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 18:02:39 -0700, Sonnova
wrote:

[...]

Seconded
Mountains usually have valleys that are in the path of the signal.
Valleys/Nearby peaks (without transmitters) = potential Multipath

Fringe VHF (Hi Front to back gain), Yagis are the solution.
Amplified antennas amplify the multipath just as much as the signal.
Start with gobs of signal, little multipath

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
James James is offline

because it is a yagi, which I said I didn't want

What's wrong with using the same antenna you use for TV?

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
JKelly JKelly is offline

Look for Magnum Dynalab, Canadian mfr. of FM tuners and a vertical FM
antenna

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
Kevin McMurtrie[_2_] Kevin McMurtrie[_2_] is offline

In article ,
"James" wrote:

[...]

That would just be a whip antenna. Nothing fancy. A web search turns
up several that are probably overpriced. They're also used for RVs
cabins.

Directional tuning is what makes an antenna good. The sharper the
focus, the less background noise there is covering the signal. There
are only 100 FM channels so picking up "literally hundreds of fm
stations" at once is going to be a serious problem with an
omnidirectional antenna.

--
I will not see your reply if you use Google.
Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
isw isw is offline

In article ,
Sonnova wrote:

[...]

There's a sort of "third harmonic" relationship between the low-VHF
channels (2-6) and the high VHF channels (7-13). dipole-type antennas
(most "all-band" TV antennas) work well enough at three times the
frequency they're tuned for, so they do the entire VHF band pretty well.

The FM band is above VHF channel 6. It is *not* included in the
three-to-one relationship I mentioned above. Unless a TV antenna
specifically is designed to work for FM (most are not, and those that
are are more expensive), it will in fact work very poorly for it.

And BTW, many FM transmitting antennas are circularly polarized (works
better for multipath). Either a vertical or a horizontally polarized
antenna will perform about 3dB worse than a circularly-polarized one.
This may be important for weak signals.

Isaac
Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 19:21:31 -0700, James wrote
(in article ):

because it is a yagi, which I said I didn't want

What's wrong with using the same antenna you use for TV?

Well, yes, but you haven't explained WHY you don't want a yagi. After all,
it will ONLY give you the best signal. Vertical polarized antennas, while
they might be omnidirectional, also have no gain and if you buy an amplified
one, you will amplify any noise, distortion and multipath effects (on analog
signals) as well. If you are sufficiently deep enough in a fringe area to
require a yagi for TV reception, shouldn't that say something to you about FM
as well? And digital radio, like digital TV, doesn't have better coverage
than analog, it has worse coverage.

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios[_3_] Tzortzakakis Dimitrios[_3_] is offline

Ο "James" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
net...
[...]

I got a vertically polarized antenna for 15 euros, and I feed it directly to
the VHF input of the mast aplifier, the UHF input being used for a Yagi (PAL
TV, no digital yet in Iraklion). The coaxial goes directly to a common
Radio/TV receptacle, and each is fed accordingly. You need a capacitor to
block DV supply for the mast amp. Mast amp costs 22 euros here. I live in a
big city. My radio is a sony boombox with tuner and coax input. I live in
Iraklion, most radio and TV transmitters being 20 kms to the west.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
Steve Urbach Steve Urbach is offline

On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 13:08:58 -0500, "James" wrote:

Sonnova, you make good points about the yagi, and I must now consider that
route again. My thinking is that I would like to scan the band, and see
what HD stations I can pick up. I suppose I could just do that in 4 major
directions, and keep lists.

A couple of points (not compass points):
1) Does you HD tuner allow "Add" type scanning (not replace the previous
scans found stations)?
2) The scan need to be done at Compass points a)no further apart that the beam
width of the main lobe of the Yagi. b)Known station compass bearings.
www.fmfool.com might help with choosing them.

I am fully aware of the ARRL handbook, and I agree with its validity and
value. But for this purpose, I am an "end" user, and I want to buy, not
build, a good fm antenna. If I do buya yagi, I would hope to get something
a bit more robust and quality than Radio Shack, Winegard, and Channel
Master.

It is either Overpriced/Hyped or it is cheap junk.
All the reflector elements have fallen off my neighbors VHF/UHF fringe
antenna, while my 20+ year old Channel Master has only had the plastic latch
on the connection box fail (No snow area).. Fixed that wit a black Zip Tie
after replacing the matching transformer.

Thanks again to all.

james

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
James James is offline

A couple of points (not compass points):
1) Does you HD tuner allow "Add" type scanning (not replace the previous
scans found stations)?
2) The scan need to be done at Compass points a)no further apart that the
beam
width of the main lobe of the Yagi. b)Known station compass bearings.
www.fmfool.com might help with choosing them.

------------------------------

Just getting the tuner ordered (the new Sony tuner), so not sure about that
feature of Add scanning. But, I doubt it. I can see where this would be a
great feature....

James

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech

On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 16:26:18 -0500, "James" wrote:

A couple of points (not compass points):
1) Does you HD tuner allow "Add" type scanning (not replace the previous
scans found stations)?
2) The scan need to be done at Compass points a)no further apart that the
beam
width of the main lobe of the Yagi. b)Known station compass bearings.
www.fmfool.com might help with choosing them.

------------------------------

Just getting the tuner ordered (the new Sony tuner), so not sure about that
feature of Add scanning. But, I doubt it. I can see where this would be a
great feature....

James

It (add) "disappeared" from HDTV sets I bought (then current model).
It worked well on a co-workers set.
Scan (initial)
Rotate/switch antennas
Add Scan (pick up more channels)
Rotate
Add Scan..

Conspiracy theory :^) believers might have it as a plot:
1) Sell "$mart antennas" (only works with a single set per antenna).
2) Cable /Satellite companies *convinced* them it was a un-needed option.
3) Most set owners are too stupid to figure how/why to use it.
4) All of the above.
Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , "James" wrote:
[...]

The best is obviously an amplified stick. Arrange it vertically. The only problem
is its wideband, and make sure it does not have an FM trap.

greg
Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , (GregS) wrote:
In article , "James"
wrote:
[...]

Make sure its outside..
Like this one
http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=4529

or this thing
http://www.magnumdynalab.com/fmantenna-st2.htm

or this
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...0491&CatId=360

this is really the best
http://www.jampro.com/index.php?page...low-power-vert

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"James" wrote in message
net
[...]

Get an amateur radio whip antenna that is at least four and a half feet
long. This would proably be an antenna for the ham's 6 meter band. Trim it
until it is exactly 4.5 feet long and remove any loading coils, etc that
may have been attached to it. Connect the coax center conductor to the base
of the insulated whip, and the coax shielding to some nearby piece of metal.
Ideally the metal would be horizontal, surround the insulated base of the
whip and extend out at least 6 feet. Add a good well-grounded coax
lightning arrestor and run the coax to your FM radio.

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"James" wrote in message
lnet
[...]

Thats not going to work well. Thats a 1/2 wave whip and would need some kind of
matching device. 30 inches is about right for a 1/4 wave vertical.
Thats about the ideal length for an auto fm whip. You could also assemble,
but the poster does not want to assemble, an FM folded dipole vertically
polarized. By using a standard dipole coax could remain at 50 ohms.

greg

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , (GregS) wrote:
In article , "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
"James" wrote in message
alnet
[...]

I was just thinking a long 5/8 wave whip would be good, but having a swinging
element in the wind would not. 2 half waves with stiff aluminum conduit
would be ideal. 3 dB or 6 dBi. gain. The Magnum is actuaklly a half
wave vertical is the length Arny described but does need matching,
and does not need a ground plane. These 1/2 wave devices are ideal with
fiberglass boats.

greg

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , (GregS) wrote:
In article ,

(GregS) wrote:
In article , "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
"James" wrote in message
calnet
[...]

I was just thinking, that Magnum Dynalab looks mysteriously simalar
to the Metz marine antenna !!

http://www.metzcommunication.com/manta6.htm
http://www.psaudio.com/ps/news/magnu...a-that-is-sota

greg
Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , (GregS) wrote:
In article ,

(GregS) wrote:
In article ,

(GregS) wrote:
In article , "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
"James" wrote in message
ocalnet
[...]

http://www.psaudio.com/ps/news/magnu...tenna-that-is-
sota

So they charge 3 times the price. !!!

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , (GregS) wrote:
In article ,

(GregS) wrote:
In article ,

(GregS) wrote:
In article ,

(GregS) wrote:
In article , "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
news:ldydnX62y7NiIVPUnZ2dnUVZ_gGdnZ2d@posted. localnet

http://www.psaudio.com/ps/news/magnu...ntenna-that-is

-
sota

So they charge 3 times the price. !!!

The magnum is furnished with a 75 ohm connector. It
does not have to be matched perfectly, allthough impedance varies
with verticals.

The nice thing about these, they are DC ground. Attach to a pole,
attached to the ground, and you have some lightning protection.

greg
Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
Ron T. Ron T. is offline

"James" wrote in message
net...
because it is a yagi, which I said I didn't want

What's wrong with using the same antenna you use for TV?

I got to the party late, so i don't know if you're still following this.

I was in the same situation as you, and although I built my antenna, you
could just as easily pay someone to do it for you.

I built a "j-pole" for 98 Mhz, out of copper tubing.

It *does* have gain, and is omni-directional.

It works like a big dog, and gets signal strengths slightly below my
monstroid TV yagi.

Shouldn't be hard to find a ham that will build you one for cost of
materials and bragging rights.

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
No Name

My experience with HD Radio is that it is only good for strong local
stations. I've tried it and it wouldn't work while with the same antenna I
would get a good reception with a good FM tuner.

Paul

net...

Antenna Samuel Groner Pro Audio 18 June 3rd 04 08:01 AM
A Simple Circularly Polarized FM Antenna for the Attic Brian Tech 0 March 9th 04 07:31 PM
A simple circularly polarized indoor FM antenna Brian Tech 4 February 28th 04 09:35 PM
AM Antenna @[email protected]> Audio Opinions 4 January 7th 04 03:53 AM
Mounting decks vertically... [email protected] Car Audio 4 November 25th 03 01:01 AM