Posted to rec.audio.tubes
The Phantom The Phantom is offline

Default Old (1933) paper on measuring tube parameters

I recently ran across a 1933 paper by W. N. Tuttle, of the General Radio
company titled "Dynamic Measurement of Electron Tube Coefficients". It's a
14 page, approximately 2 megabyte, pdf file. It describes a General Radio
instrument. It's a very detailed paper. If you would like to have a copy,
post an email address (encoded in such a way as to foil the email address
harvesters), and I'll send it your way. It will probably be up to 3 megs
as an email attachment.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Thompson-Bell Ian Thompson-Bell is offline

The Phantom wrote:
I recently ran across a 1933 paper by W. N. Tuttle, of the General Radio
company titled "Dynamic Measurement of Electron Tube Coefficients". It's a
14 page, approximately 2 megabyte, pdf file. It describes a General Radio
instrument. It's a very detailed paper. If you would like to have a copy,
post an email address (encoded in such a way as to foil the email address
harvesters), and I'll send it your way. It will probably be up to 3 megs
as an email attachment.

Sounds interesting. Can you pls copy me at:

ianbelldeletethisatukfsndotorg

Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Paul Babiak Paul Babiak is offline

The Phantom wrote:
I recently ran across a 1933 paper by W. N. Tuttle, of the General Radio
company titled "Dynamic Measurement of Electron Tube Coefficients". It's a
14 page, approximately 2 megabyte, pdf file. It describes a General Radio
instrument. It's a very detailed paper. If you would like to have a copy,
post an email address (encoded in such a way as to foil the email address
harvesters), and I'll send it your way. It will probably be up to 3 megs
as an email attachment.

please send a copy to

paulbabiak * teksavvy **

thanks a bunch.

* = @
** = .com
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

In article ,
The Phantom wrote:

I recently ran across a 1933 paper by W. N. Tuttle, of the General Radio
company titled "Dynamic Measurement of Electron Tube Coefficients". It's a
14 page, approximately 2 megabyte, pdf file. It describes a General Radio
instrument. It's a very detailed paper. If you would like to have a copy,
post an email address (encoded in such a way as to foil the email address
harvesters), and I'll send it your way. It will probably be up to 3 megs
as an email attachment.

Dear Phantom, please send me a copy of the Tuttle paper, please send it
to the email address encoded in the "From:" header above.

Thanks & Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Lord Valve Lord Valve is offline

I'll take one, and thanks.

LV

tubes AT prodigy DOT net

The Phantom wrote:

I recently ran across a 1933 paper by W. N. Tuttle, of the General Radio
company titled "Dynamic Measurement of Electron Tube Coefficients". It's a
14 page, approximately 2 megabyte, pdf file. It describes a General Radio
instrument. It's a very detailed paper. If you would like to have a copy,
post an email address (encoded in such a way as to foil the email address
harvesters), and I'll send it your way. It will probably be up to 3 megs
as an email attachment.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
bill ramsay bill ramsay is offline

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 07:57:13 -0800, The Phantom
wrote:

I recently ran across a 1933 paper by W. N. Tuttle, of the General Radio
company titled "Dynamic Measurement of Electron Tube Coefficients". It's a
14 page, approximately 2 megabyte, pdf file. It describes a General Radio
instrument. It's a very detailed paper. If you would like to have a copy,
post an email address (encoded in such a way as to foil the email address
harvesters), and I'll send it your way. It will probably be up to 3 megs
as an email attachment.

I would appreciate one too,

triodeatxnetdotcodotnz

this is very kind of you.

many thanks

bill

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Engineer[_2_] Engineer[_2_] is offline

On Nov 27, 10:57 am, The Phantom wrote:
I recently ran across a 1933 paper by W. N. Tuttle, of the General Radio
company titled "Dynamic Measurement of Electron Tube Coefficients". It's a
14 page, approximately 2 megabyte, pdf file. It describes a General Radio
instrument. It's a very detailed paper. If you would like to have a copy,
post an email address (encoded in such a way as to foil the email address
harvesters), and I'll send it your way. It will probably be up to 3 megs
as an email attachment.

I would like to receive a copy at:
analogdinoatrogersdotcom
Cheers.
Roger
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
West West is offline

"The Phantom" wrote in message
I recently ran across a 1933 paper by W. N. Tuttle, of the General Radio
company titled "Dynamic Measurement of Electron Tube Coefficients". It's

14 page, approximately 2 megabyte, pdf file. It describes a General Radio
instrument. It's a very detailed paper. If you would like to have a

copy,
post an email address (encoded in such a way as to foil the email address
harvesters), and I'll send it your way. It will probably be up to 3 megs
as an email attachment.

If you don't mind ...., one for me?
BTW: if this gets too demanding for you, why not post an attachment on
alt.binaries.schematics.electronic?
Thank you.
west

westleyATgteDOTnet

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Greasehorse Greasehorse is offline

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 15:32:12 -0700, Lord Valve
wrote:

The Phantom wrote:

I recently ran across a 1933 paper by W. N. Tuttle, of the General Radio
company titled "Dynamic Measurement of Electron Tube Coefficients". It's a
14 page, approximately 2 megabyte, pdf file. It describes a General Radio
instrument. It's a very detailed paper. If you would like to have a copy,
post an email address (encoded in such a way as to foil the email address
harvesters), and I'll send it your way. It will probably be up to 3 megs
as an email attachment.

Please email me one also..TIA...
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] carter.buck@gmail.com is offline

On Nov 27 2007, 7:57*am, The Phantom wrote:
I recently ran across a 1933 paper by W. N. Tuttle, of the General Radio
company titled "Dynamic Measurement of Electron Tube Coefficients". *It's a
14 page, approximately 2 megabyte, pdf file. *It describes a General Radio
instrument. *It's a very detailed paper. *If you would like to have a copy,
post an email address (encoded in such a way as to foil the email address
harvesters), and I'll send it your way. *It will probably be up to 3 megs
as an email attachment.

Hi, I was searching for this exact document and Google pointed me
here.
Would you kindly sent it to me at
carterDOTbuckAT gmailDOTcom
Thanks a lot!
-Carter

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] zz80a1@gmail.com is offline

On Tuesday, November 27, 2007 9:57:13 AM UTC-6, The Phantom wrote:
I recently ran across a 1933 paper by W. N. Tuttle, of the General Radio
company titled "Dynamic Measurement of Electron Tube Coefficients". It's a
14 page, approximately 2 megabyte, pdf file. It describes a General Radio
instrument. It's a very detailed paper. If you would like to have a copy,
post an email address (encoded in such a way as to foil the email address
harvesters), and I'll send it your way. It will probably be up to 3 megs
as an email attachment.

I'm interested in a copy... you can e-mail me at mborish_2000 at yahoo

Thanks in advance.

-Mike
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Wednesday, 28 November 2007 02:57:13 UTC+11, The Phantom wrote:
I recently ran across a 1933 paper by W. N. Tuttle, of the General Radio
company titled "Dynamic Measurement of Electron Tube Coefficients". It's a
14 page, approximately 2 megabyte, pdf file. It describes a General Radio
instrument. It's a very detailed paper. If you would like to have a copy,
post an email address (encoded in such a way as to foil the email address
harvesters), and I'll send it your way. It will probably be up to 3 megs
as an email attachment.

I guess the meaning of "Dynamic Measurement of Electron Tube Coefficients" is the measurement of the µ, gm, and Ra of any given vacuum tube, presumably with a sine wave signal which translates to "dynamic" ie, measurements were not done using varied levels of grid dc voltage while measuring anode Vdc change across an anode resistance from which current change can be calculated.

The tube coefficients might be now called tube parameters. They all are variable depending on the Idc anode current, so the more Ia you have, the higher the gm, lower the Ra, with µ being the most constant parameter. There are limits for gm increase which are reached when Ia approaches the maximum possible, which is usually far more than any tube idle currents.

I should not assume any more than I already may have about a 1933 paper I have never read. Perhaps you'd like to describe what you learnt when you read the paper, and what conclusions can be reached and what use these could be towards anyone trying to design and build an amplifier.

Was there something that tube engineers of 1933 did better than what their sons were doing in 1963? ( apart from cringing and leering at transistors )

Patrick Turner.