Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] themend@gmail.com is offline

Default Restoring a TV-7/U Tube Tester

Hello all,

Just picked up a TV-7/U tester today. I've used these before many times, and I've owned a few testers over the years, but never a TV-7 until today. I'm pretty happy with it, but it does have some issues.

I'm going to go over the whole process of restoring it so I might as well do it here.

Here are a couple pics. One is the unit as it looks from the outside, and as you can see somebody decided to make a hole in the top and move the power cable. Also, there's a pic of the inside where a really sloppy set of diodes was put in.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z90wa6laqkpj46t/TV7_top.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yac82k8agl...%20%281%29.jpg

So, there will be some work to do here! Already, I have noticed that while the line check seems ok on this tester, every tube I've tested so far has been showing perhaps half of the reading it should be getting. The meter movement seems ok, but something is amiss...

I've worked on several testers before, B&K, a Hickock here and there (TV7s are mostly Hickocks), and some oddball older ones of dubious quality. So I'm a bit green on this one, if anyone sees me screwin' up, please chime in.

First step was to test the 5Y3 and the 83. Well, 83s being mercury vapor recifiers either work or they don't, and the 5Y3 tested fine. So we have a circuit problem. It would be nice if it were those sucky diodes somebody added. I'm going to start digging for schematics and maintenance manuals and I will report back soon.

Cheers,

-forkinthesocket