Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Default India and the Listeroid. And audio.

In India, they manufacture-amongst other things-the Listeroid.

What is a Listeroid? It is a copy of a 1930s British Lister single or
twin cylinder diesel engine, a huge, heavy slow turning affair looking
like something out of a Victorian rail works. The Brits, stiff upper
lip and all that, made them for decades but by the 1980s finally
decided that technology in the form of modern high speed engine design
had superseded the 900 lb, ten horsepower cast iron monsters.

This created a crisis in India, and the Indians solution was to
simply make-in various small facilities, under several names-copies of
the Lister. Several different brands are available, one under the
charming name of FuKing, and all being more or less standardized
affairs with mostly interchangeable parts.

Note that no infusion of foreign capital or any plans to outsource or
arbitrage the wages of the British workers were involved. The Lister
design was over fifty years old and no court in India would consider
any claims of intellectual property theft against the makers, who in
any event were an amoebalike bunch of contract shops.

Now, you may ask, why don't the Indians do the same with other
products that Westerners might want (the market here for Listeroids
being pretty small)? Plenty of old designs are out there for copying.
The patents have expired, and in most cases again there is no
actionable IP involved.

One difference between Listeroids and audiophile turntables, say, is
that there is not a huge domestic market for audiophile grade
turntables in India, and whatt here is prefers imported and therefore
higher status goods. But given the market forces involved, we may see
this happen yet.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On May 23, 2:24*pm, "Shhhh!!!! I'm Listening to Reason!"
wrote:
On May 23, 4:09*am, Bret L wrote:

*One difference between Listeroids and audiophile turntables, say, is
that there is not a huge domestic market for audiophile grade
turntables in India, and whatt here is prefers imported and therefore
higher status goods. But given the market forces involved, we may see
this happen yet.

Duh.

Bratzi's 'presentation' on Usenet is a lot like listening
to Frank Caliendo's impersonation of John Madden.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:
On May 23, 4:09*am, Bret L wrote:

*One difference between Listeroids and audiophile turntables, say, is
that there is not a huge domestic market for audiophile grade
turntables in India, and whatt here is prefers imported and therefore
higher status goods. But given the market forces involved, we may see
this happen yet.

Duh.

Bratzi's 'presentation' on Usenet is a lot like listening
to Frank Caliendo's impersonation of John Madden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBW7ysPcbT0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnrPJSXWqsg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HOZg5kHA9s
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:
On May 23, 4:09*am, Bret L wrote:

*One difference between Listeroids and audiophile turntables, say, is
that there is not a huge domestic market for audiophile grade
turntables in India, and whatt here is prefers imported and therefore
higher status goods. But given the market forces involved, we may see
this happen yet.

Duh.

Bratzi's 'presentation' on Usenet is a lot like listening
to Frank Caliendo's impersonation of John Madden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBW7ysPcbT0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnrPJSXWqsg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HOZg5kHA9s

Too funny.

There's one small difference though: Caliendo has talent.

In breaking news, this video was smuggled out of one of Bratzi's
secret Nazi meetings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=215C-tadRmk

Can you guess which one is Bratzi?

Car audio Online Store in India! aaRDee Car Audio 0 March 6th 09 03:49 AM
IQ and India BretLudwig Audio Opinions 3 May 6th 08 09:03 AM
Recipies of South INDIA Santhosh1992 Pro Audio 0 March 14th 08 08:59 AM
Will a US car stereo work in India [email protected] Car Audio 4 June 4th 07 02:56 PM