Corby

Default Alternator whine.

Hello everyone,

Alternator whine... enough said!

Here is the setup. Panasonic head unit, single rca from HU to a Rockford
Fosgate Symmetry EPX2 unit. Signal is split to go to three PPI amps, PCX
440, 280 and Monoblock(1250).

I have alternator whine whenever the engine is on. I have tried bypassing
everything and going directly from the HU into the PPI driving my front
stage. Alternator whine still exists and is variable based on the level
set on the amp. If I turn up the level input on the amp, the whine
increases and seems to increase more when the Air conditioning is on. If
the HU is not connected to the RCA's there is no whine. It's only when
there is a signal... Even if I hook up a battery operated CD player to the
RCA's there is no whine.

Here is what I have done to try to eliminate the whine.

1. Upgraded the Ground on the battery to 4 gauge (The power is 4 gauge as
well).

2. I tried upgrading the ground of the HU to both in two different locations
including running 4 gauge to the grounding location of the amps.

3. I tested the HU RCA's for impedance problems and they come up clean, had
it tested at my local shop and they found it clean too.

4. I have tried taking the HU out of the dash and running RCA's directly to
the amp on the outside of the car...

5. Changed the location of the amp ground

6. Have tried different RCA's

Please keep in mind that all that I have hooked up now is one amp + speakers
and the head unit. Are there any tests that I can do with my multimeter to
check the quality of the ground for the amps or the HU or something?

If it matters, I have a 2000 Tiburon.

Please oh please offer suggestions!

- Corby

Legion

Are you using the stock spark plug wires? I had the same problem myself,
and the solution lyed simply in changing my spark plug wires to an MSD
set. Very resistant...

Gordon

FYI Corby I've had the exact same problem. I actually still have it.
I've upgraded the ground to the engine, and now I'm looking to do the
same to the AC unit/AC clutch.

Also on my list of to-do's is to replace the spark plug wires.

I have also grounded my HU, my EQL (under driver's seat), and my two
amps (RF 500X and PPI 2160) all to the same spot (at amps) using 10awg
wire. No help.

I'm at a loss as well...

Gordon

"Corby" wrote in message ...
[...]

The Lizard

Gordon wrote:
FYI Corby I've had the exact same problem. I actually still have it.
I've upgraded the ground to the engine, and now I'm looking to do the
same to the AC unit/AC clutch.

Also on my list of to-do's is to replace the spark plug wires.

I have also grounded my HU, my EQL (under driver's seat), and my two
amps (RF 500X and PPI 2160) all to the same spot (at amps) using 10awg
wire. No help.

I'm at a loss as well...

Sorry, I'm jumping in without a history here, but did anyone upgrade the
ground wire going to their firewall? Most cars ground to the fender,
which is bolted to the firewall. But all of these parts are painted
before assembly, so it's a ****-poor electrical connection.

--
Lizard

teamROCS #007 / Technical Director / Founding Member *res derelicta*
http://www.teamrocs.com/
Save Farscape http://www.watchfarscape.com

Gordon

Hi Lizard...

Yes I'm working on that as well. You're right, everything is painted
-- I'll pull the dremel out this weekend and upgrade all the grounds
and see what kinda results I get.

Gordon