DougC

Default RDH4 reloaded--multilingual translation?

(concerning converting RDH4/other books to PDF) For any of you that
happen to be in non-natively-English-speaking locales--what is the best
method for providing for multilingual translation of a PDF? I am
supposing that peoples who don't speak English might be interested in
the material. I can guess that tranlsation software can accept common
Word or RTF file formats, and that a text-only file with page-number
markers inserted would be the best course of action here. This would not
allow them to convert the PDF itself of course, but it would give them a
separate text file with corresponding page numbers they could convert.
Unless there is some other way. ...I only speak English well, and so
can't really ask anyone who would need to resort to this--as they
obviously wouldn't speak English. Anybody know anything here? ~~~~~~
Sander deWaal

DougC said:

(concerning converting RDH4/other books to PDF) For any of you that
happen to be in non-natively-English-speaking locales--what is the best
method for providing for multilingual translation of a PDF? I am
supposing that peoples who don't speak English might be interested in
the material. I can guess that tranlsation software can accept common
Word or RTF file formats, and that a text-only file with page-number
markers inserted would be the best course of action here. This would not
allow them to convert the PDF itself of course, but it would give them a
separate text file with corresponding page numbers they could convert.
Unless there is some other way. ...I only speak English well, and so
can't really ask anyone who would need to resort to this--as they
obviously wouldn't speak English. Anybody know anything here? ~~~~~~

While I appreciate your efforts in this direction, I suspect that
anyone interested in these matters has to be some kind of technician.
And the international tech-speak is English...........

I've never encountered any of my fellow countrymen involved in
electronics that couldn't understand technical English well.

Maybe a translation in Spanish and Mandarin-Chinese (being the
most-used languages on this planet) could be of interest, I doubt
whether translation into any other language would be useful.

--
Sander de Waal
" SOA of a KT88? Sufficient. "
robert casey

DougC wrote:

(concerning converting RDH4/other books to PDF) For any of you that
happen to be in non-natively-English-speaking locales--what is the best
method for providing for multilingual translation of a PDF? I am
supposing that peoples who don't speak English might be interested in
the material. I can guess that tranlsation software can accept common
Word or RTF file formats

IIRC, the pdfs are just image files and won't work translation
software.
DougC

robert casey wrote:
DougC wrote:

(concerning converting RDH4/other books to PDF) For any of you that
happen to be in non-natively-English-speaking locales--what is the
best method for providing for multilingual translation of a PDF? I am
supposing that peoples who don't speak English might be interested in
the material. I can guess that tranlsation software can accept common
Word or RTF file formats

IIRC, the pdfs are just image files and won't work translation
software.

Yes but I am re-generating the entire book as digitized text, in Word
docs, and then re-building a PDF--so what I am assuming is that a Word
or RTF file with just the book text, WOULD be useable in translation
software, yes? I don't know what common language-translation programs
are used worldwide, I would guess that they are all different but should
accept common text formats. RTF format is pretty common and can do what
needs to be done, and has been around since Win95 at least. -I do know
that most programs for text editing cannot extract text from a PDF,
OLE-style copy & pasting..... I can find no definite answers, so this is
the best that can be done. :/ I hate to think that the opportunity to
make it that much more accessible would be missed.
Gregg

Behold, DougC scribed on tube chassis:

robert casey wrote:
DougC wrote:

(concerning converting RDH4/other books to PDF) For any of you that
happen to be in non-natively-English-speaking locales--what is the
best method for providing for multilingual translation of a PDF? I am
supposing that peoples who don't speak English might be interested in
the material. I can guess that tranlsation software can accept common
Word or RTF file formats

IIRC, the pdfs are just image files and won't work translation
software.

Yes but I am re-generating the entire book as digitized text, in Word
docs, and then re-building a PDF.....

Holy, you're dedicated!

At the speed I type, I'd be faster building a pyramid :-o

Are you gonna Open-Source it?

--
Gregg "t3h g33k"
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca

DougC

Gregg wrote:

Holy, you're dedicated!

At the speed I type, I'd be faster building a pyramid :-o

Are you gonna Open-Source it?

The end-product yes.
The Word and InDesign files? I guess I would, if anybody wanted
them..... I think only a book publishing company would care for that
really. When's the last time any book company printed copies of RDH4?
There's a mid-60's textbook on eBay I've seen. I read people online say
that a UK company did a two-volume set within the last few years, but I
have not found it for sale anywhere, with my casual searching....
Patrick Turner

robert casey wrote:
DougC wrote:

(concerning converting RDH4/other books to PDF) For any of you that
happen to be in non-natively-English-speaking locales--what is the
best method for providing for multilingual translation of a PDF? I am
supposing that peoples who don't speak English might be interested in
the material. I can guess that tranlsation software can accept common
Word or RTF file formats

IIRC, the pdfs are just image files and won't work translation
software.

Yes but I am re-generating the entire book as digitized text, in Word
docs, and then re-building a PDF.....

Holy, you're dedicated!

At the speed I type, I'd be faster building a pyramid :-o

Are you gonna Open-Source it?

I am not sure whether he is starting it from page 1 and then slowly
but surely going through to page 1,600++.

But surely some of RDH4 would be best left till last,
and the audio sections done first.

But if ever it is done as a html doc, links can be established,
so references to another chapter simply clicked
and the reader surfs the reference, then back to the
page of the link to continue his read.....

I can see many versions of the RDH4 evolving if its in an editable text form,

and complete with modern additions, and then deletions, and then we haven't
got
is RDH4 anymore, maybe NBG10.

But of course somebody might leave it exactly as is, but add to it, with no
mistakes,
and with links, and you might have VFG5.

Patrick Turner.

--
Gregg "t3h g33k"
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca
*Ratings are for transistors, tubes have guidelines*

robert casey

But if ever it is done as a html doc, links can be established,
so references to another chapter simply clicked
and the reader surfs the reference, then back to the
page of the link to continue his read.....

I can see many versions of the RDH4 evolving if its in an editable text form,

and complete with modern additions, and then deletions, and then we haven't
got
is RDH4 anymore, maybe NBG10.

If the additions are clearly marked as such, and the edits are done in
such a way that one can see the original with and without edits
(should be easy in html or such) and we could have flame wars over
the validity of the new edits to hammer them to be correct, it
would be great. :-)
Gregg

Gregg wrote:

Holy, you're dedicated!

At the speed I type, I'd be faster building a pyramid :-o

Are you gonna Open-Source it?

The end-product yes.
The Word and InDesign files? I guess I would, if anybody wanted
them..... I think only a book publishing company would care for that
really. When's the last time any book company printed copies of RDH4?
There's a mid-60's textbook on eBay I've seen. I read people online say
that a UK company did a two-volume set within the last few years, but I
have not found it for sale anywhere, with my casual searching....

There's a 1997 copy floating around, but that publisher has been absorbed
by a school and education publisher and they have completely disowned the
technical stuff.

I actually contacted them about my copy I was distributing, they didn't
even bother replying.

--
Gregg "t3h g33k"
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca
*Ratings are for transistors, tubes have guidelines*
DougC

Gregg wrote:
There's a 1997 copy floating around, but that publisher has been absorbed
by a school and education publisher and they have completely disowned the
technical stuff.

I actually contacted them about my copy I was distributing, they didn't
even bother replying.

Well, then,,,, it's ON!!! -Or rather, ehhh,,, it will be on in a while.
It's on page 688 right now.

DougC

robert casey wrote:

and complete with modern additions, and then deletions, and then we
haven't
got
is RDH4 anymore, maybe NBG10.

If the additions are clearly marked as such, and the edits are done in
such a way that one can see the original with and without edits
(should be easy in html or such) and we could have flame wars over
the validity of the new edits to hammer them to be correct, it
would be great. :-)

When finished, the book will be in one big PDF file with the corrections
added onto the end, with links between the pages they concern. This way
the table of contents and index page numbering will still be correct,
but there will be "unlimited" space for corrections. You can put links
anywhere you want in a PDF.

Oskari Heinonen

Gregg wrote:

Behold, DougC scribed on tube chassis:

When's the last time any book company printed copies of RDH4?
There's a mid-60's textbook on eBay I've seen. I read people online say
that a UK company did a two-volume set within the last few years, but I
have not found it for sale anywhere, with my casual searching....

There's a 1997 copy floating around, but that publisher has been absorbed
by a school and education publisher and they have completely disowned the
technical stuff.

I actually contacted them about my copy I was distributing, they didn't
even bother replying.

Gregg, do you mean the Newnes/Butterworth-Heinemann 1997 book? (They
are part of Elsevier.) ISBN 0-7506-3635-1.

Both amazon.co.uk and amazon.com know it but I guess it's out of print.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/.../-/0750636351/
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg.../-/0750636351/

I got my copy from amazon.co.uk some time ago.

The story as told by this copy:

First published 1934
Second edition 1935
Third edition 1940
Fourth edition 1953
Revised reprint with addenda 1954, 1955, 1957, 1960, 1963, 1967
Reprinted 1997, 1999

Better photo of the book:

http://www9.wind.ne.jp/NoobowSystems...rshandbook.jpg

--
Oskari Heinonen * University of Helsinki * Department of Computer Science
* http://www.cs.Helsinki.FI/Oskari.Heinonen/
DougC

Oskari Heinonen wrote:

I got my copy from amazon.co.uk some time ago.

The story as told by this copy:

First published 1934
Second edition 1935
Third edition 1940
Fourth edition 1953
Revised reprint with addenda 1954, 1955, 1957, 1960, 1963, 1967
Reprinted 1997, 1999

Better photo of the book:

http://www9.wind.ne.jp/NoobowSystems...rshandbook.jpg

Well d4mn, now my curiosity is up. That has 54 more pages than the old
version's 1498. What are the differences? Is there any obvious
additional section, or are the revisions just corrections spread
throughout the book?
~~~~~
Oskari Heinonen

DougC wrote:

Well d4mn, now my curiosity is up. That has 54 more pages than the
old version's 1498. What are the differences? Is there any obvious
additional section, or are the revisions just corrections spread
throughout the book?

1498 is the last numbered page and the last page with any content.