Lord Valve

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 08:58:07 +0300, "Iain M Churches"
wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
.. .
On 28 Mar 2005 10:50:10 -0800, "

Y'know, the more I read drivel from clowns like you and Churches, the
more I realise that RAT desperately needs someone like me.............

:-))) Like a hole in the head:-)

I know that you have no military record, Stewart, and clearly lack the
social graces for Scottish regiments like the Coldstream and Scots Guards,
but still the following scene comes into mind:

Actually, as with most of your claims, you know nothing of the sort,
but never mind.

The 2nd Bn HLI (Highland Light Infantry) are marching past, with
Private Pinkerton, Angus Stewart in the seventh rank. There is a
huge crowd, in the midst of which stands Mrs P. (Mum not wife)
She nudges the person standing next to her and exclaims in a
loud voice "There he is, there's my Angus, can you see him?
Yes, over there. That's him. He's the only one in step!"

A very unlikely scenario, as one would of course be an officer! :-)

Consider for instance, the common scenario of professional engineers
working for the armed forces. While they are indeed civilian workers,
they are commonly given honorary rank, frequently that of captain,
allowing them access to mess facilities more suited to their standing
within the military community.

Something tells me you'd be lucky to snag a stale Moon Pie off the Roach Coach.

LV

Patrick Turner

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Patrick Turner wrote:
Oinky's presence here isn't required any longer.

His attitude to tube use is counter to the interests of this group,

If you hadn't crossposted this to ukra it might have had more substance.

*

Hint. UKRA is an UK group. So don't call valves tubes.

The majority of the world's ppl use the word tube to describe a single
thermionic valve,
where the context determines exactly what is meant, since "tube" could refer
two valves in the one envelope, or tube.

In Oz we used valve instead of tube, or toobe, and the yanks say.

It matters not one iota, and for you to complain about it
shows that perhaps you are not moving with the times.
tube amp, valve amp, what damn difference does it make?

And could you please just stick to one of the many threads about this
without making a new one - it makes it so much easier to killfile.

Pinky is the one to start a billion new threads minute to irritate the
majority who killfilled him.

--
*Marriage changes passion - suddenly you're in bed with a relative*

And how sinical an attitude is that, eh.

Patrick Turner.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Iain M Churches

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message

Consider for instance, the common scenario of professional engineers
working for the armed forces. While they are indeed civilian workers,
they are commonly given honorary rank, frequently that of captain,
allowing them access to mess facilities more suited to their standing
within the military community.

Ringgggg! Wake up Stewart, you are dreaming again:-)

I come from a military family, and so know quite a lot about
Army life. But just to check the facts, I have just spoken with
an old family friend, Major Henry Archer, (Retd)

Apart from catering and the Royal Engineers, the REME
has most civilian staff working with the British Army,
mainly in vehicle maintenance.

He tells me that civilian workers at military establishments
neither hold nor are given honorary or any other kind of rank.
They hold civilian, not military passes, although they are subject to
military regulations controlled by the Military Police (Redcaps)
while on camp. They eat at their own facilities, which are always
called Civilian Canteens, to clearly differentiate from the military
messes.

Civilians are only invited to dine at the officers mess at the express
wish of the Colonel, or the Adjutant, - not a common occurrence.

Civilians are formally addressed as Mr, unless they hold a Doctorate
They are not on the Army payroll as their salaries are paid by the
Ministry of Defence. They have no (as you put it) "standing"
within the military.

Pop! Another Oinkerton bubble bursts:-)
Back to the post room.

Cordially,

Iain

Don Pearce

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:28:50 +0300, "Iain M Churches"
wrote:

[...]

When my brother worked for the military as a civilian he was given the
honorary rank of Colonel.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Iain M Churches

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
When my brother worked for the military as a civilian he was given the
honorary rank of Colonel.

Are you sure it wasn't Major General?

Iain

Don Pearce

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:45:18 +0300, "Iain M Churches"
wrote:

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
When my brother worked for the military as a civilian he was given the
honorary rank of Colonel.

Are you sure it wasn't Major General?

Iain

Of which he was a very model (of a modern one)?

No - definitely Colonel.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Iain M Churches

wrote:

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
When my brother worked for the military as a civilian he was given the
honorary rank of Colonel.

Are you sure it wasn't Major General?

Iain

Of which he was a very model (of a modern one)?

No - definitely Colonel.

IIRC correctly, the rank of Major General no longer
exists. Perhaps that's why I picked it:-)

Iain

Don Pearce

wrote:

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
When my brother worked for the military as a civilian he was given the
honorary rank of Colonel.

Are you sure it wasn't Major General?

Iain

Of which he was a very model (of a modern one)?

No - definitely Colonel.

IIRC correctly, the rank of Major General no longer
exists. Perhaps that's why I picked it:-)

Iain

Ah - you were just trolling. You must now killfile yourself.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Iain M Churches

wrote:

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
When my brother worked for the military as a civilian he was given the
honorary rank of Colonel.

Are you sure it wasn't Major General?

Iain

Of which he was a very model (of a modern one)?

No - definitely Colonel.

IIRC correctly, the rank of Major General no longer
exists. Perhaps that's why I picked it:-)

Iain

Ah - you were just trolling. You must now killfile yourself.

I think little "poetic license" is allowed here.
If it's good enough for G+S then it's good enough for me:-)

Iain

Patrick Turner

wrote:

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
When my brother worked for the military as a civilian he was given the
honorary rank of Colonel.

Are you sure it wasn't Major General?

Iain

Of which he was a very model (of a modern one)?

No - definitely Colonel.

IIRC correctly, the rank of Major General no longer
exists. Perhaps that's why I picked it:-)

Iain

Ah - you were just trolling. You must now killfile yourself.

I think little "poetic license" is allowed here.
If it's good enough for G+S then it's good enough for me:-)

Act 9, scene 22, Juliet, in a voice perplexed:-

Romeo, where art thou?
Leaveth alone thy tube equipments,
thou seem distant, and distracted, and I callest thee pronto hither
lest thy dinner cool, and thy child pinch thy beers,
and the hound sneak away with a chop,
Romeo, come hither please, my heart aches for thee,
not to waste a good feede......

Patrick Turner.

Iain

Iain M Churches

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

Act 9, scene 22, Juliet, in a voice perplexed:-

Romeo, where art thou?
Leaveth alone thy tube equipments,
thou seem distant, and distracted, and I callest thee pronto hither
lest thy dinner cool, and thy child pinch thy beers,
and the hound sneak away with a chop,
Romeo, come hither please, my heart aches for thee,
not to waste a good feede......

Patrick Turner.

Patrick, my dear Sir, you missed your true vocation:-)

I have somewhere a text in middle-English extolling
the virtues of the valve amplifier, and its "soundes
soote" I will post it when I find it.

Iain

Patrick Turner

Iain M Churches wrote:

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

Act 9, scene 22, Juliet, in a voice perplexed:-

Romeo, where art thou?
Leaveth alone thy tube equipments,
thou seem distant, and distracted, and I callest thee pronto hither
lest thy dinner cool, and thy child pinch thy beers,
and the hound sneak away with a chop,
Romeo, come hither please, my heart aches for thee,
not to waste a good feede......

Patrick Turner.

Patrick, my dear Sir, you missed your true vocation:-)

I have somewhere a text in middle-English extolling
the virtues of the valve amplifier, and its "soundes
soote" I will post it when I find it.

Hmm, "soundes soote " could be a description of another rather
unsuccessful French
amplifier that converted itself to carbon after turn on.

Be outlooking, and especially across those briny Channel waves,
and thou may hear distant song and dance from our beloved France,
Conveyed contrivingly by electricae, and generating slaves.

Patrick Turner.

Iain

Iain M Churches

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

Hmm, "soundes soote " could be a description of another rather
unsuccessful French
amplifier that converted itself to carbon after turn on.

"Soote" one of several spellings of the origin of the word "sweet"
But as you say, charred remains come verily to mind.

Be outlooking, and especially across those briny Channel waves,
and thou may hear distant song and dance from our beloved France,
Conveyed contrivingly by electricae, and generating slaves.

Fear not. We have our stout longbows, and will not be outwitted
by their electrickery.

Did you ever see the TV series Catweazle in Australia
It was circa 1971., with Geoffrey Bayldon in the title role
of a Saxon who fell into a pond and fell through time into the 20th
century. I am waiting for it to come out on DVD. It was supposed to
be a childrens series, but became a cult thing.
Every rock musician in London watched it without fail:-)

Iain

Stewart Pinkerton

More bull**** from the Churches of the poison mind.

But just to check the facts, I have just spoken with
an old family friend, Major Henry Archer, (Retd)

Yes, sure you have, dearie. Shall I pop down to the British Library
and Check Part 2 of the Army List to see if this old buffer really
exists? Of course, I'll have to register the reason for my enquiry.

Apart from catering and the Royal Engineers, the REME
has most civilian staff working with the British Army,
mainly in vehicle maintenance.

Indeed they do, but I worked for the Air Force.

He tells me that civilian workers at military establishments
neither hold nor are given honorary or any other kind of rank.
They hold civilian, not military passes, although they are subject to
military regulations controlled by the Military Police (Redcaps)
while on camp. They eat at their own facilities, which are always
called Civilian Canteens, to clearly differentiate from the military
messes.

Civilians are only invited to dine at the officers mess at the express
wish of the Colonel, or the Adjutant, - not a common occurrence.

Depends where you work, and your facts are awry.

Civilians are formally addressed as Mr, unless they hold a Doctorate
They are not on the Army payroll as their salaries are paid by the
Ministry of Defence.

Indeed so, in some cases.

They have no (as you put it) "standing"
within the military.

Oh, they have a very high standing, the military would be in deep
doodoo without them.

Pop! Another Oinkerton bubble bursts:-)
Back to the post room.

Just more lies and bull**** from Churches, who is acquiring a superb
trail of evidence as this newsgroup's biggest troll and bull****ter.

Patrick Turner

Iain M Churches wrote:

[...]

I had a long " televisionless period"
between about 1968 and 1973, when I thought it
silly to watch the glitter lantern.

Watched a tiny bit now and then after 1973,
and gave right up a few years back
But I do remember the Young Ones,
and the edisode where the punk rocker red headed git farted in bed,
and lit up a fag.
The gas explosion wrecked the house......

Patrick Turner.

Iain

Chris Morriss

In message , Stewart
Pinkerton writes
Just more lies and bull**** from Churches, who is acquiring a superb
trail of evidence as this newsgroup's biggest troll and bull****ter.

I'm sure we can allow him to be a Troll part of the time, he does live
in Finland after all.

(I'm more concerned that he seems to want to emulate Lemminkainen as
Finlands biggest braggart!)

--
Chris Morriss
Stewart Pinkerton

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:08:11 +0100, "Keith G"
wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 12:38:33 +0300, "Iain M Churches"
wrote:

UKRA suddenly became very quiet indeed.

It did - see below:

It didn't take Stewart long
to find out to where his former opponents had migrated, and he
quickly followed. He had succeeded in driving out those
who did not share the opinions he held, and much worse, he had
kept away a number of interested and well informed people who
would have had something of interest to say.

Utter rubbish, as we've come to expect from you. I went to RAT out of
a genuine interest in the KISS project.

Bull****. You went to RAT to pump up some *crossposted* traffic knowing full
well that an (easy to do) attack on valves from a self-proclaimed ss bigot
would bring a lot of noise into what was looking to be a very quiet,
'moribund' ukra!!

Nope, just check the posting history. I began by saying nothing
whatever about valves per se, I simply pointed out that the
presumptions underlying Jute's mythical KISS amp were ill-founded, and
I explained why this was so. *After* I had done this, and rather than
argue the point, Jute started lots of ad hominem attack threads. He
must be the most sociopathic nutter I've come across on audio Usenet
since Alan Derrida. Also, pretty damned ignorant, despite his colossal
ego and his Munchausen's Syndrome problem.

The crossposting was started by Jute in his attack threads.

I had a number of people on direct telling me how dead it was and, until a
few days ago, if you deleted all RAT/UKRA crossposted threads at a stroke
there was *nothing* left...

Probably true, audio Usenet does seem to have lost almost all function
these days. RAO was always a cesspool, of course, but clowns like Jute
and Allison seem to have done the same to RAT, which used to be a
haven of peace, calm, and reasoned discussion - as you'd expect from
such gently nostalgic folk! :-)

My 'former opponents' created UKRV, but that group rapidly became
moribund, as of course no one's really interested in discussing vinyl
these days.

UKRAV became *dead* (not 'moribund') for a number of reasons:

Well, it's not 'dead', just unocuppied....................

It was a kludge from the start and many people could not get it - even my
own newsreader said 'you do not have permission to post, remove it from your
list of groups' (or somesuch very similar) toward the end.

A lot of people expressed support and enthusiasm for the idea and never
showed up. (So what's new...???)

Such is life..........

'How do I clean vinyl' can only be asked just so many ways before it becomes
a bit boring - rather like 'my 10 year old CDP's packed up (in the case of
Japanese gear - make that '2 year old CDP' in the case of British stuff)....

It was too polite - there were no punch-ups to keep the dweeps amused.

Ddidn't stop RAT being a thriving group for several years.

No one's really interested in discussing vinyl these days. (Except every
'hifi' magazine you pick up.....)

QED.............

Patrick Turner

.................... audio Usenet does seem to have lost almost all function
these days. RAO was always a cesspool, of course, but clowns like Jute
and Allison seem to have done the same to RAT, which used to be a
haven of peace, calm, and reasoned discussion - as you'd expect from
such gently nostalgic folk! :-)

Nothing funny about what you say.

One of big reason why r.a.t has become a bit messy
is YOUR contribution of troll posts to it.

Best you just **** off.

You ain't wanted, and you know SFA about tubes, which you
hate.

Patrick Turner.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 17:13:06 GMT, Patrick Turner
wrote:

.................... audio Usenet does seem to have lost almost all function
these days. RAO was always a cesspool, of course, but clowns like Jute
and Allison seem to have done the same to RAT, which used to be a
haven of peace, calm, and reasoned discussion - as you'd expect from
such gently nostalgic folk! :-)

Nothing funny about what you say.

One of big reason why r.a.t has become a bit messy
is YOUR contribution of troll posts to it.

Unlike your calm and informative posts like this one?

Best you just **** off.

You ain't wanted, and you know SFA about tubes, which you
hate.

Oh dear, are you upset because I didn't include you in RAT's 'hall of
infamy' above? Poor baby.................