Ed Kent

Default Will dropping a microphone bugger it?

Hi,
Today a friend and I were hanging two Audio Technica Pro45 mics from
the ceiling, and my friend accidentally knocked one of them off the top
of a 10ft high scaffolding tower onto a concrete floor. We hung it up
anyway, but never got a chance to test it properly afterwards.
I'm guessing the fall didn't do it too much good, but do you think
there's a chance it could have survived?

Thanks,
Ed
BLCKOUT420

This is a real stupid question.
David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"BLCKOUT420" wrote in message ...

This is a real stupid question.

I don't see why. I have a number of microphones that could
handle such a fall, and I have a few that couldn't handle a 3-ft
drop to concrete, let alone a 10-ft drop.

What kind of mic was it?

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s.com

William Sommerwerck

No, shoving an overly large plug into it will bugger it.
P. Chamney

Outside of the abrupt rudeness of the first reply...it is a kind of a
dumb question.
No one can possibly know until it is turned on and tested, no matter
what kind of mic it is.

"David Morgan \(MAMS\)" wrote in
:

"BLCKOUT420" wrote in message

This is a real stupid question.

I don't see why. I have a number of microphones that could
handle such a fall, and I have a few that couldn't handle a 3-ft
drop to concrete, let alone a 10-ft drop.

What kind of mic was it?

reddred

"Ed Kent" wrote in message
Hi,
Today a friend and I were hanging two Audio Technica Pro45 mics from

Is that like the 37? It might be fine, it might have some new issues. I'd
have to say it can at least be fixed.

It all depends on the mic.

jb

the ceiling, and my friend accidentally knocked one of them off the top
of a 10ft high scaffolding tower onto a concrete floor. We hung it up
anyway, but never got a chance to test it properly afterwards.
I'm guessing the fall didn't do it too much good, but do you think
there's a chance it could have survived?

Thanks,
Ed

Tim Perry

"Ed Kent" wrote in message
Hi,
Today a friend and I were hanging two Audio Technica Pro45 mics from
the ceiling, and my friend accidentally knocked one of them off the top
of a 10ft high scaffolding tower onto a concrete floor. We hung it up
anyway, but never got a chance to test it properly afterwards.
I'm guessing the fall didn't do it too much good, but do you think
there's a chance it could have survived?

Thanks,
Ed

unfortunanty the units specs dont list impact resistance. if you make the
assumption that its built along the lines of a lav which has to take a
certin amount of abuse and still keep ticking you might make out ok.

from the specs:

The unit's integral electronics can be powered from any external
9V to 52V DC phantom power source. Audio-Technica design engineers have
utilized the newest low-mass technology in the quest for superior
performance.

The charge is now on the fixed back plate, rather than the
moving element. With the A-T fixed-charge & quot; back plate & quot;
construction, a gold-vaporized diaphragm just microns thick (about
0.000079") can be used.

This reduces moving mass substantially, improving frequency
response and transient response while reducing distortion.

Additional Information a.. Hi-SPL handling is perfect for suspension
over choirs and orchestras
b.. Wide-range condenser element with low-mass diaphragm for
superior performance
c.. Self-contained electronics eliminate need for external
power modules
d.. Flat, smooth frequency response
e.. 25 (7.6 m) cable permanently attached between microphone
and XLRM-type connector
f.. Also available in white as PRO 45W

t.hoehler

Today a friend and I were hanging two Audio Technica Pro45 mics from
the ceiling, and my friend accidentally knocked one of them off the top
of a 10ft high scaffolding tower onto a concrete floor. We hung it up
anyway, but never got a chance to test it properly afterwards.
I'm guessing the fall didn't do it too much good, but do you think
there's a chance it could have survived?

Thanks,
Ed

It probably survived, but you can bet it will never sound the same again.
(or look the same) I think of mics as instruments- like a fine camera or a
nice watch - it just kills you to see something like this come to grief.
Watch James Brown throw a mic stand around during his act - you
just_know_he's going to push it too far and the mic is going to smack the
stage, but it never does. Of course, I'm not sure an SM58 is much to worry
about - almost a disposable mic.
regards,
Tom

Geoff Wood

Ed Kent wrote:
Hi,
Today a friend and I were hanging two Audio Technica Pro45 mics
from the ceiling, and my friend accidentally knocked one of them off
the top of a 10ft high scaffolding tower onto a concrete floor. We
hung it up anyway, but never got a chance to test it properly
afterwards. I'm guessing the fall didn't do it too much good, but
do you think there's a chance it could have survived?

Maybe try knocking your friend off a 10ft tower headfirst onto a concrete
floor for a good yardstick as to survivability.

I'd say it wouldn't do the mic any actual benefit. I'd also guess that there
was about a 2% chance that it will work as before.

geoff

ryanm

Will dropping a microphone bugger it?

Not likely, but it very well could break it. I believe it would take a
bit more effort to actually bugger it, but I can only assume, having no
experience with microphone buggering myself. ; )

ryanm

Brendan Thompson

No such thing as a stupid question. ONLY STUPID ANSWERS.

"BLCKOUT420" wrote in message
This is a real stupid question.

Bob

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 19:27:11 +0100, Ed Kent
wrote:

Hi,
Today a friend and I were hanging two Audio Technica Pro45 mics from
the ceiling, and my friend accidentally knocked one of them off the top
of a 10ft high scaffolding tower onto a concrete floor. We hung it up
anyway, but never got a chance to test it properly afterwards.
I'm guessing the fall didn't do it too much good, but do you think
there's a chance it could have survived?

Thanks,
Ed

Is this another April fools??

I keep forgetting to look at the date...

Geoff Wood

Bob wrote:
Ed

Is this another April fools??

I keep forgetting to look at the date...

Sometiomes it's hard to tell .

geoff

Willie K.Yee, M.D.

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 09:49:10 -0500, Mark Plancke
wrote:

rec.audio.what??

rec.audio.PROduction

Oh. I though it was rec.audio.PROmotion, where you come to sell stuff,
promote CD's and various harebrained schemes.

Willie K. Yee, M.D. http://users.bestweb.net/~wkyee
Developer of Problem Knowledge Couplers for Psychiatry http://www.pkc.com
Webmaster and Guitarist for the Big Blue Big Band http://www.bigbluebigband.org

Geoff Wood

wrote:

rec.audio.what??

rec.audio.PROduction

Oh. I though it was rec.audio.PROmotion, where you come to sell stuff,
promote CD's and various harebrained schemes.

And there was me labouring under the misapprehension that it was about
wrecked and noisy ladies of the night....

geoff

Peter Larsen

Ed Kent wrote:

Today a friend and I were hanging two Audio Technica Pro45
mics from the ceiling, and my friend accidentally knocked
one of them off the top of a 10ft high scaffolding tower
onto a concrete floor.

It is small enough to have a decent chance, but concrete and no carpet
== a lot of G's.

We hung it up anyway,

This must be your job and not your hobby.

but never got a chance to test it properly afterwards.

Which is to say that there was no obvious visual damage to the mic, so
you hope to get away with it having failed for some other reason ...
O;-)

I'm guessing the fall didn't do it too much good, but
do you think there's a chance it could have survived?

If there was no visually obvious damage, then yes, it has permanently
attached cable and it may either have cushioned the fall if landing
first or delayed, and thus softened it, if staying on the ladder it
seems to have fallen from. If it had been a head-first fall then it
would in all likelyhood have died. Having a carpet on the floor would
have improved its chances.

It is folly not to test such an installation even if no such event
occured. It would probably be proper to suspend some other mic even if
it did work after the fall, just in case.

Ed

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Peter Larsen

Geoff Wood wrote:

And there was me labouring under the misapprehension
that it was about wrecked and noisy ladies of the night....

Could you please and with all respect keep the Jackon clan well out of
this except in their property of being sources of recordable sound.

geoff

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

David Satz

Ed Kent wrote:

I'm guessing the fall didn't do it too much good, but do you think
there's a chance it could have survived?

Yes, there's a chance of that--but there's also the chance that it has
internal damage that could later cause it to fail unexpectedly. Murphy's
Law stipulates that this will occur when you are least prepared to deal
with it. Thus after any such incident I would send the microphone back
to its manufacturer or to an authorized repair center for disassembly and
checkout as soon as possible.

Audio-Technica's service department has been efficient, and their work
reasonably priced in my somewhat limited experience with them.

--Apologies (in a general sense) for the rude replies that you've gotten
here--some people think that they can prove themselves superior by acting
like idiots, I guess.

hank alrich

David Satz wrote:

Ed Kent wrote:

I'm guessing the fall didn't do it too much good, but do you think
there's a chance it could have survived?

Yes, there's a chance of that--but there's also the chance that it has
internal damage that could later cause it to fail unexpectedly. Murphy's
Law stipulates that this will occur when you are least prepared to deal
with it. Thus after any such incident I would send the microphone back
to its manufacturer or to an authorized repair center for disassembly and
checkout as soon as possible.

And don't forget O'Toole's Corollary to Murphy's Law, which states:

Murphy was an optimist.

--
ha
anthony.gosnell

"Mike Rivers" wrote
Of course. I've dropped dishes on the kitchen floor and had them
survive. I've also had them break.

About 10 years ago I witnessed a friend of mine throw a beer bottle off our
10th story balcony. It landed on the 2 story building across the road and
didn't break.

Anthony Gosnell

RD Jones

Ed Kent wrote:

I'm guessing the fall didn't do it too much good, but do you think
there's a chance it could have survived?

Same guy that cut his finger off ?

The possibility notwithstanding ... I have seen SM58's that were
horribly disfigured at the ball end that still sounded like, well, a 58.
I would think that the A-T condensor would be a bit more delicate than
a Shure dynamic. YMMV
My reaction would have been to use a known good mike up there and place
the A-T where it could be more easily swapped out if need be.

RD