Mark D. Zacharias

Default adding an amplifier--Help!

You'll need separate speakers as well, unless you want to physically
disconnect and re-connect whenever you go from audio to video functions
(impractical) or unless you want to do some fairly elaborate speaker
switching usuing switches or relays. These also present problems, both in
terms of amp safety and potential sound quality issues.

Mark Z.

"brandt" wrote in message
om...
Hi all--
I presently have a yamaha dsp-a1 and 4 surround speakers and sub. My
mains are 2 magnepan mmg's (7 speakers total including sub). I would
like to upgrade by using my yamaha as a preamp for music only. I will
not be buying a separate preamp I will be using the dsp a1, unless
this is a totally bad idea. How would I go about setting this up?
Would the amplifier still power my maggies for movies? Would they
match well soundwise? What are good matches for the mags? I would
like to keep it under $400, was thinking about the marantz ma-500, but
would be willing to get a used amp if I knew decent brands or
sizes/models for my situation. Any help is greatley appreciated.
Thanks alot--