JWelsh3374

Default First sign of the Apocalypse...

LOS ANGELES (Aug. 6) - Arnold Schwarzenegger ended the suspense Wednesday and
jumped into the race for California governor, instantly becoming the best-known
of the declared candidates seeking to replace Democrat Gray Davis in a recall.

The surprise announcement by the ''Terminator'' actor, a moderate Republican,
capped a day of fast-paced developments in one of the most unpredictable
political races in recent history.

Earlier, Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein had ruled out a run, labeling the
election ''more and more like a carnival every day.'' And political commentator
Arianna Huffington declared she would run as an independent.

Schwarzenegger, 56, announced his decision during a taping of ''The Tonight
Show with Jay Leno,'' calling it the toughest he's made since deciding to get a
bikini wax in 1978.

''The politicians are fiddling, fumbling and failing,'' he said. ''The man that
is failing the people more than anyone is Gray Davis. He is failing them
terribly, and this is why he needs to be recalled and this is why I am going to
run for governor.''

Schwarzenegger's advisers had said in recent days that he was leaning against
putting his name on the Oct. 7 election ballot because of opposition from his
wife, journalist Maria Shriver.

Schwarzenegger told Leno that he's not afraid of Davis allies attacking him as
''a womanizer'' or ''a terrible person.'' ''I know that they're going to throw
everything at me,'' he said.

Davis issued a statement calling Schwarzenegger merely the latest in a long
list of people who had declared their intent to run, noting that Hustler
publisher Larry Flynt is among them.

''The more candidates who join, the greater the likelihood that a small
minority of voters will be controlling California's future,'' Davis said.

He also reminded voters of the cost of a special recall election, estimated by
the secretary of state's office at $67 million - ''money which would be better
spent on our schools and our children.''

Former Los Angeles Mayor Richard Riordan, another moderate Republican, has said
he would enter the race if Schwarzenegger did not, and polls have shown Riordan
would be a stronger candidate than the actor. Riordan spokeswoman Lisa Wolf
said Wednesday that he had no immediate comment.

Feinstein's decision not to run gave a big boost to Davis, while frustrating
some Democrats who wanted her to run to ensure the governorship would remain in
the party's hands if Davis lost.

''After thinking a great deal about this recall, its implications for the
future, and its misguided nature, I have decided that I will not place my name
on the ballot,'' Feinstein said in a statement.

''I deeply believe the recall is a terrible mistake and will bring to the depth
and breadth of California instability and uncertainty, which will be
detrimental to our economic recovery and decision-making,'' she said.

The recall election is yet another setback for Davis, who has seen his
popularity plummet as the state grapples with a record $38 billion budget
deficit.

It also is the latest force to bedevil Californians, who in recent years have
endured an energy crisis, the collapse of the dot-com economy and a federally
mandated cutback in one of the state's main water supplies. Residents now face
the prospect of higher car taxes and college fees to close the state's budget
gap.

Davis is the first California governor to face a recall and would be only the
second governor nationwide to be removed from office if the effort succeeds.

Analysts from both parties believed the governor's chances for survival would
have dramatically diminished if Feinstein, who tops polls as California's most
popular politician, was on the ballot as an alternative.

Her decision came a day after a strong endorsement for Davis from the AFL-CIO.
Both developments were key victories for the governor, whose support from
fellow party members had appeared to be weakening.

''I'm very pleased with Sen. Feinstein's announcement,'' Davis told San
Francisco radio station KGO-AM.

''To the extent that Democrats get in the race, it makes it look like a normal
election, and legitimates what is really an effort by the right wing to steal
back an election they couldn't win last November,'' he said. ''I think at the
end of the day people will realize that the party is better served rallying
around its sitting governor.''

Some party members still thought otherwise.

''I want to back the strongest candidate and it's important that we coalesce
around one, and now I'm appealing to the leaders, the folks whose pay grade is
one or two notches up from mine, to figure out who our strongest candidate is
and lead us in coalescing behind that candidate,'' said Rep. Brad Sherman,
D-Calif., who had supported a Feinstein candidacy.

One possibility was U.S. Rep. Loretta Sanchez, who had supported a Feinstein
candidacy and said she might run if Feinstein didn't.

''I have a feeling something will be decided tomorrow probably one way or the
other,'' said Sanchez's spokeswoman, Carrie Brooks.

Members of California's congressional delegation discussed the matter in a
conference call Wednesday, with the majority leaning toward finding a consensus
candidate, said a source familiar with the discussion who spoke on condition of
anonymity.

Huffington, the ex-wife of former Republican Congressman Michael Huffington,
announced her candidacy at a news conference in Los Angeles.

''I'm not, to say the least, a conventional candidate. But these are not
conventional times,'' she said. ''And if we keep electing the same kind of
politicians who got us into the same kind of mess funded by the same kind of
special interests, we'll never get out of this mess.''

Michael Huffington also has taken out papers, but has not indicated whether he
will enter the race.

The ballot also is likely to include several conservative Republicans. U.S.
Rep. Darrell Issa, who funded the recall, is a declared candidate, and state
Sen. Tom McClintock filed papers Tuesday. Businessman Bill Simon, who lost to
Davis in November, also is expected to run.

Meanwhile, California's Supreme Court justices huddled behind closed doors for
hours Wednesday to decide whether to consider several challenges to the recall
election, including a petition to bar any replacement candidates from the
ballot.

The justices were expected to announce Thursday whether they would hear the
petitions, a spokeswoman said.

AP-NY-08-06-03 2324EDT

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press.

searching for peace, love and quality footwear
guido

http://www.guidotoons.com
http://www.theloniousmoog.com
http://www.luckymanclark.com
Ben Bradley

This is of course OT and I generally don't participate in such, but
I was surfing cnn.com and couldn't resist this one, so here goes...

In rec.audio.pro, ojunk (JWelsh3374) wrote:

LOS ANGELES (Aug. 6) - Arnold Schwarzenegger ended the suspense Wednesday and
jumped into the race for California governor, instantly becoming the best-known
of the declared candidates seeking to replace Democrat Gray Davis in a recall.

Would that make this the Second Sign:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/...man/index.html

Gary Coleman on California ballot

Wednesday, August 6, 2003 Posted: 10:32 PM EDT (0232 GMT)

(CNN) -- Gary Coleman, child star of the sitcom "Diff'rent Strokes,"
has placed his name among a host of other celebrities in the running
for California governor.

AP-NY-08-06-03 2324EDT

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press.

searching for peace, love and quality footwear
guido

http://www.guidotoons.com
http://www.theloniousmoog.com
http://www.luckymanclark.com

Rob Adelman

Ben Bradley wrote:

Would that make this the Second Sign:

Gary Coleman on California ballot

I think Davis won't be recalled. Look at the alternatives..

Roger W. Norman

If one thinks about it, out of the last 24 years worth of Presidential terms
(including this one to the end) there have been 18 1/2 years of Governors
elected to the Presidency (4 go to Daddy Bush, from a non-elected position
prior to being VP). The American people are not selecting beltway insiders
for the position, which bodes ill for all but Howard Dean on the Democratic
side, and in order to really move California over to the Republican side,
it's not surprising to see Arnold take on the mantle when it's all over. Of
course, he can't be the President, but it's the electoral votes that are
being considered now. Bush knows he can't pull Florida off a second time.

What would be the second sign is if, indeed, someway short of selling his
soul, Arnold actually figures out some way to overcome a $38 billion deficit
in two years. It's an impossible task. A "Hercules in Sacramento" type of
task. I can't see a Democrat winning and I certainly don't understand any
Republican wanting the damned job. In two years, regardless of any progress
made, somebody's name is going to be ****. Maybe Arnold's just throwing
himself on his sword for some future reward by the Republicans.

But if there's one thing I can say positive about the whole thing it's that
I don't believe anybody will ever be making fun of Arnold behind his back.
I imagine if, as Governor, he tells someone to do something it will get done
forthwith. Funny, but the far scarier guy in real life is Jesse Ventura.
I'd be far more worried about when an ex-seal wanted to grab my larnyx out
before my eyes saw it coming. Jesse's election said that a state cared
about the message. California's now fully engaged with the Republican
machine. And yet they were both in Predator! g

So, anybody taking bets on when the Constitution will be amended so that
Arnold can be elected President? Maybe 2007, so that he can run for 2008?

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

301-585-4681

ojunk (JWelsh3374) wrote:

[...]

Jay Kadis

Aah, business as usual in California. Monkey business.

-Jay

--
x------- Jay Kadis ------- x---- Jay's Attic Studio ----x
x-------- http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/~jay/ ----------x
ScotFraser

To the voters of California I say "Remember Minnesota?"

Scott Fraser
Charles Thomas

In article TXlYa.84804$Ho3.11476@sccrnsc03,
"Benjamin Maas" wrote:

I'm blanking on
who, but a porn-star is running and want masturbation to be a
tax-deduction!!!

Laugh if you want, but it worked in Italy.

CT

Rob Adelman

And the economic problems California is having cannot fairly be blamed
on Davis. Look to the current administration in Washington for much of
it. As far as individuals no one is more to blame than Ken Lay.

ScotFraser wrote:
To the voters of California I say "Remember Minnesota?"

Scott Fraser

Roger W. Norman

That's really key. The Bush administration hasn't supplied any of the money
appropriated for the states in this homeland security scheme, and it's all
come down to the taxpayer to bolster up the system. Who pays for the cops
being on major overtime every time the terrorist threat gets elevated?
Well, as taxpayers we have already paid once, but Bush holds the money back,
our first responders all over the country are under equipped and under
trained and under manned and under funded, so the state coffers dwindle and
state programs suffer. With the convolution involved with this
administration, I'm not a bit surprised that the state that WOULD get hit
the worst is also the one where this stupid recall is being inappropriately
applied.

****, if you're going to be removed from office at least their ought to be a
criminal charge in there somewhere.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

301-585-4681

ScotFraser wrote:
To the voters of California I say "Remember Minnesota?"

Scott Fraser

Fulltone

Right or wrong..... Arnold's gonna be the next Guv of CA.
Michael Fuller / Fulltone Musical Products Inc. / http://www.fulltone.com
ScotFraser

****, if you're going to be removed from office at least their ought to be a
criminal charge in there somewhere.

That's what a recall procedure SHOULD be about. There aren't even any hints of
malpractice here, just a popularity contest that looks like it will revolve
entirely around name recognition value. The Republicans, emboldened by their
successful theft in Florida have found yet a new way to subvert the democratic
electoral process.
Arnold's proven management & economic skills are exactly what?

Scott Fraser
ROMCHA

The Republicans, emboldened by their
successful theft in Florida

get a ****in clue
JWelsh3374

The Republicans, emboldened by their
successful theft in Florida
get a ****in clue

Oh, please...give us all one, would you?

searching for peace, love and quality footwear
guido

http://www.guidotoons.com
http://www.theloniousmoog.com
http://www.luckymanclark.com
reddred

"Roger W. Norman" wrote in message
But that goes on all the time. That's why each state pretty much has

their
own Technology Corridor these days. The problem is that Californians no
longer have any business to export. The aircraft industy is bust and has
been for longer than the profits have suggested. The Dot.coms were just

as
stupid as most anyone with a brain stem suggested. Obviously no one is
going to invest in any energy manager that comes from California.

Don't forget Arnold S., who is an export in and of himself.

jb

Roger W. Norman

Either offer something real, or forget trying to boil up yet another major
OT thread.

What's really funny is that the Supreme Court, who gave the Republicans
their way in the 2000 election by the reversal of recounting the votes, have
obviously ****ed off the Republicans to the point where a "man of God" calls
for their untimely deaths and every prosecutor that didn't do their jobs
right now is ****ed off. I say hail to the bunch of 2000 election stealing
justices since they have, by what has been called jury nullification of
charges, virtually nullified a goodly amount of 18th century neocon backed
laws that have nothing to do with government and all about personal choice.
Well, the government part isn't right. They nullified the "option" to
simply make retroactive laws, which is exactly right. Especially in
California where the "people" make laws that have nothing to do with either
their own Constitution nor the Federal Constitution. You can't make
retroactive laws. That's all there is to it. When Prosecutors gripe about
the Supreme Court letting sexual abusers go because of their ruling, then
the Prosecutors should have known the law and abided by it. A good case in
point is the OJ civil trial where a California vote established that heresay
evidence (i.e. evidence that cannot be cross examined by the defense or the
prosecution) can be used in a trial, and that, in fact, in can be used in
THIS trial. Now if that isn't making law to get ONE person I don't know
what is. That's not what the law is about.

Oh yeah, I was supposed to get a ****ing clue...

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

301-585-4681

"ROMCHA" wrote in message
The Republicans, emboldened by their
successful theft in Florida

get a ****in clue

Roger W. Norman

He did, by his eloquence and highly considered prose.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

301-585-4681

"JWelsh3374" wrote in message
The Republicans, emboldened by their
successful theft in Florida
get a ****in clue

Oh, please...give us all one, would you?

searching for peace, love and quality footwear
guido

http://www.guidotoons.com
http://www.theloniousmoog.com
http://www.luckymanclark.com

Jay Kadis

In article "Roger W. Norman"
writes:
But that goes on all the time. That's why each state pretty much has their
own Technology Corridor these days. The problem is that Californians no
longer have any business to export. The aircraft industy is bust and has
been for longer than the profits have suggested. The Dot.coms were just as
stupid as most anyone with a brain stem suggested. Obviously no one is
going to invest in any energy manager that comes from California. What's to
lose? California is going to have a long, hard struggle back, and it's
largely to do with the fact that Californians can vote on any damned thing
they want, with either as much information or a little as it takes them to
make that vote. In other words, California isn't really a republic at all
(as opposed to Congress), it's a true democracy. To me that lowers the
abilities of the state to continue to grow directly in proportion to the
intelligence of the voters.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

301-585-4681

The problem with California governance is that the legislature has no impetus
to do the right thing when it's politically unpopular because the initiative
process can be substituted. Then the voters are asked to make the hard
decisions that the Senate and Assembly are supposed to be making. Difficult
matters like water rights and taxation are left to voters who lack the
understanding to properly evaluate.

-Jay
--
x------- Jay Kadis ------- x---- Jay's Attic Studio ----x
x CCRMA, Stanford University x
ScotFraser

So right there, he's basically the pretty side of Bill Clinton.

And here I thought intelligence was what made Clinton appealing.

Rich by his
own means, handsome man of 56, able to beat a speeding bullit. Certainly as
charismatic as Clinton, certainly too, one less than likely to lie about
sex. What's to dislike?

Forgive me for clinging to the outmoded notion that being qualified for a job
actually counted for something. Schwarzenegger's accomplishments? Being able to
add ungodly amounts of muscle mass to his frame, & being able to sleepwalk his
way through parts that any first year drama major could actually bring emotion
to.

****. If they do amend the Constitution to allow
foreigners to be President, I think I'd vote for Arnold too.

We've tried the experiment of putting an unqualified inexperienced common bloke
into the White House. We don't need to keep hitting our thumb with the hammer
to prove that pain hurts.

Scott Fraser
ScotFraser

get a ****in clue

The usual highly articulate response from the right wing that has placed them
in the forefront of every intellectual debate. Why deal with uncomfortable
concepts like ideas when you can just shout down your opponents? Very
impressive.
Scott Fraser
Scott Dorsey

Fulltone wrote:
Right or wrong..... Arnold's gonna be the next Guv of CA.

There are worse things that could happen in this world.
Like Gary Coleman becoming the next governor....
Artie Turner

Vin Thompson wrote:

Why is Washington's budget deficit not identified as a problem
but California's is?

Trust me, there are those of us who have identified Washington's budget
deficit as a huge problem. Washington has the means to spin the deficit
as a necessary evil. And Washington can print up more money when it runs
out; California can't.

Why does the received wisdom say that Davis is
fiscally irresponsible to run up Cali's debt but the Bush
administration has gotten it exactly right by running up the federal
debt?

I'm not sure where you received this wisdom, but there are several
respected economists who are telling us that the conventional wisdom
about running up debt is not "exactly right," in fact, it's exactly wrong.

What nuance is making the difference here? Overseas wars?

The wars are a big part of it, but the main thing is that the American
public refuses to hear bad news, or if they do hear it, they accuse the
messenger of treason and turn the channel.

Thanks, and sorry for adding to an OT thread...

-- Vin Thompson

LeBaron & Alrich

ScotFraser wrote:

That's what a recall procedure SHOULD be about. There aren't even any hints of
malpractice here, just a popularity contest that looks like it will revolve
entirely around name recognition value. The Republicans, emboldened by their
successful theft in Florida have found yet a new way to subvert the democratic
electoral process.
Arnold's proven management & economic skills are exactly what?

We just went through this at the local level here in Plumas County, CA,
where a bunch of rightist, selfproclaimed law 'n' order afficiandos
sought to remove from office our district supervisor, who was guilty of
attempting to uphold the _law_ and who had helped bring "alternative
events" (read, High Sierra Music Festival) to our region.

The recallistos lost at a nearly 2-to-1 ratio, having set our tiny area
back over $12K to pay for a recall attempt a few months ahead of the
regular election, while schools and every other important programs here
starve for funds.

We mamaged to retain the only PC supervisor with that necessary second
brain cell. He sits on a board with four monocelled gents.

--
hank alrich * secret mountain
audio recording * music production * sound reinforcement

LeBaron & Alrich

WillStG wrote:

Californians - it's your state, good luck with your deficit. But
remember, there are plenty of other States who will be happy to benefit from
the steady flight of business from your State to other economic environments.

As usual, some know-nothing from across the land, one who does not run a
business, has all the answers. No information need apply.

Americans: it's your nation. Noticed the DEFICIT lately? Remember, there
are plenty of other nations who will be happey to benefit from the
steady flight of business from the USA, to other "economic"
environments.

--
ha
EggHd

Californians - it's your state, good luck with your deficit.

Yep. must be the only state that has one. Gee I wonder if anyone in Washington
would keep money from the state that didn't vote for them? Politics? naw.

But
remember, there are plenty of other States who will be happy to benefit from
the steady flight of business from your State to other economic environments.

Like China? Mexico? Bush sure has the national economy on track.

You have to wonder about Isa, who spent $2.6 million of his own money to
finance the recall thinking he could run and win. He was crying when he did
his news conference yesterday saying he wouldn't run. He was eclipsed by The
Terminator.

---------------------------------------
Luke Kaven

Vin Thompson wrote:
[...]
De-lurking to ask:

Why is Washington's budget deficit not identified as a problem
but California's is? Why does the received wisdom say that Davis is
fiscally irresponsible to run up Cali's debt but the Bush
administration has gotten it exactly right by running up the federal
debt? What nuance is making the difference here? Overseas wars?

Thanks, and sorry for adding to an OT thread...

-- Vin Thompson

I won't comment on the various theories about what is right or wrong
with deficit spending. But one crucial difference between state and
federal finances is that a lot of states have laws pertaining to
balancing the state budget. In many states, it is unlawful to run a
deficit--at least it is unlawful to run a deficit in the same sense
that the federal government may.

Luke

Nathan West

mmm....1.6 million. But he still looked like the wuss he is, when stepping down.

Do you realize he is the guy that started the Car Alarm **** up? I just found
out...

EggHd wrote:

Californians - it's your state, good luck with your deficit.

Yep. must be the only state that has one. Gee I wonder if anyone in Washington
would keep money from the state that didn't vote for them? Politics? naw.

But
remember, there are plenty of other States who will be happy to benefit from
the steady flight of business from your State to other economic environments.

Like China? Mexico? Bush sure has the national economy on track.

You have to wonder about Isa, who spent $2.6 million of his own money to
finance the recall thinking he could run and win. He was crying when he did
his news conference yesterday saying he wouldn't run. He was eclipsed by The
Terminator.

---------------------------------------

Regards,

Nathan West
Riverwest Entertainment

"Sincerity is everything...if you can fake it
than you've got it made."

Nathan West

Really? Mine amount is from NPR. Either way...that is a lot of dough to
spend on something so useless to him.

EggHd wrote:

mmm....1.6 million.

The LA times said 2.96 in their story today.

---------------------------------------

Regards,

Nathan West
Riverwest Entertainment

"Sincerity is everything...if you can fake it
than you've got it made."

EggHd

Really? Mine amount is from NPR. Either way...that is a lot of dough to
spend on something so useless to him.

It must have felt to him as he could do this quick in use the momentum to get
in their as he was the instigator.

But to spend all that money to get people coming out of target stores to sign
for the recall, who never voted in the last election is whacky.

Next all that's needed is a rich democrat (Larry Flint?) to force another
recall election this spring.

What a can of worms this will open.

ScotFraser

Just to point out that it is funny
how the conventional wisdom on Arnold runs between "he's another
Jessie Ventura" to "he's another Ronald Reagan". Oddly, in the end, I
don't see much difference in qualifications between the two of them.

I don't see any real distinction either. They are both idiot celebrities who
had no grasp whatsoever of the complexities of state management.

Scott Fraser