Midlant

Default Back to the old amp

Some time back at the suggestion of a few posts, I bought a McCormack
DNA-125 amp. Sounded nice but, the amp had a buzz from the transformer,
independent of speakers as well as a sizzling hum through the speakers.
C-J assured me it was normal, not to worry. It has to do with torroidial
transformers. The Adcom went under the bed. It was too nice an amp to
let go.
Last week, the McC started humming louder (from the transformer) than it
has before. It was very noticeable. I honestly thought it was about to
melt down it was so loud.
I removed it from the system and hooked it into another room. It was
quiet, not switching-on hum. Then I hooked a cheap speaker to it to see
what speaker noise was. Very little.
Only thing I can figure is the outlet in the main room has noise on it
either from the other equipment or poor connections.
Since the amp was out, I decided to hook the old Adcom GFA-555 II back
in for giggles. The first thing that struck me was how quiet it was.
Nadda, nothing, zilch. No transformer noise, no speaker sizzle, nothing.
Popped a cd in and whalah! Nothing but music with a nice quiet
background.
Since McC's are known for their "musicalness" as are tube equipment and
Steve McC is known to build/design his amps with a high gain, could the
noise I'm normally hearing with his amp be what gives his amp
"musicness"?
Honestly, after putting, the Adcom back in I'm planning on leaving it
in. Everything is still musical plus I have a quiet system again.
What gives?
John
Rega Plant 2000cdp
Acurus LS-11 pre