RedFox

Default Wav => Ac3 problems

I used Soft Encode (SE) for several months to convert wavs to ac3s and had
no problems. Almost all the setings I used were the defaults and the ac3
audio was very acceptable. Then one day the prog crashed while processing.
After that it didn't complete a single file without crashing. Finally, I
decided to reinstall the prog and it then ran again without crashing. but
the output was quite different. The wav file has been denoised and is very
clear but the ac3 sounds like a hi-fi with the treble turned way down.
There are only two filter settings in SE and both were at the default -
checked.

Yesterday I tried Be Sweet and it worked ok but the output ac3 file was far
worse. It sounds like an old audio tape played at half speed and the file is
648 MB vs 555 for the wav.

The wav file is so good that I tried to mux it with the m2v file using
IfoEdit. During the processing there was a message that the bit rate was
very high. Then there was another that the bit rate was exceeding the DVD
standard. Finally it stopped processing.

Help much appreciated

TIA

RF