Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

Default When music mattered more

I'm watching a Beverly Sills retrospective on PBS. I first saw it a few
months ago, and they are replaying it, no doubt, due to her death.

I'm reminded of a time when music mattered more than it seems to now.
She was all over the media in the 60s-90s: Johnny Carson as guest,
Johnny Carson as guest host, Dick Cavett, Merv Griffin, 60 Minutes
profiles, covers of Time and Newsweek, game shows, etc. She was part of
popular culture.

Now it seems like it's about scandal, "sexiness", the seven deadly sins.
That's what sells. You don't have to sing anywhere near in tune to be a
hit (listen to American Idol). Most every household knew her name. Now
most every household knows Michael Jackson's name.

She was a lovely lady; a devoted wife and daughter, doting mother to two
handicapped children. Later in life she raised millions for the New
York City Opera, then Lincoln Center, then The Met. And she was perhaps
the greatest singing actress we've yet seen.

OK, enough of my descent into "oldfartdom".
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

Soundhaspriority a scris:
. The movie industry has been decimated as well.

Congrats! You must have just sold your first screenplay.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW ScottW is offline

On Jul 5, 9:44 pm, "Soundhaspriority" wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message

I'm watching a Beverly Sills retrospective on PBS. I first saw it a few
months ago, and they are replaying it, no doubt, due to her death.

I'm reminded of a time when music mattered more than it seems to now.
She was all over the media in the 60s-90s: Johnny Carson as guest,
Johnny Carson as guest host, Dick Cavett, Merv Griffin, 60 Minutes
profiles, covers of Time and Newsweek, game shows, etc. She was part of
popular culture.

Now it seems like it's about scandal, "sexiness", the seven deadly sins.
That's what sells. You don't have to sing anywhere near in tune to be a
hit (listen to American Idol).

Don't get fooled by the early competition segments which are
supposed to be comedy segments.

Do you think the American Idol winners have no talent?
I think they have oodles of talent compared to the Ashley Simpson
and Britney Spears of the pop world.

Most every household knew her name. Now
most every household knows Michael Jackson's name.

She was a lovely lady; a devoted wife and daughter, doting mother to two
handicapped children. Later in life she raised millions for the New
York City Opera, then Lincoln Center, then The Met. And she was perhaps
the greatest singing actress we've yet seen.

OK, enough of my descent into "oldfartdom".

In any society, there are at least two cultures: the culture of the elite,
and the culture of the masses. It existed in the Penny Dreadfuls of the 19th
century. Shakespeare contains elements of both cultures. Yet it appears
that, in the U.S., the elite culture is in eclipse.

Eclipsed by the disgusting $$ rained on no-talent
produucer created pop stars of today. A practice in play
since the Monkees .

Anyway...being eclipsed is far from in decline and I think there are
lots of talented musicians who may not get the MSM recognition
once bestowed on the likes of Beverly Sills....but that's really
an issue with MSM pursuing ratings over talent.
How does a wholesome talented actress compete with a
crotch shot of Britney? They can't and shouldn't even want to
try.

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Sander deWaal Sander deWaal is offline

Jenn said:

Now it seems like it's about scandal, "sexiness", the seven deadly sins.
That's what sells. You don't have to sing anywhere near in tune to be a
hit (listen to American Idol). Most every household knew her name. Now
most every household knows Michael Jackson's name.

Believe me, the music of Michael Jackson was brilliant compared to the
crap they foist upon us today.

--

- Maggies are an addiction for life. -
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
vlad vlad is offline

Another elitist complains

On Jul 5, 8:07 pm, Jenn wrote:
I'm watching a Beverly Sills retrospective on PBS. I first saw it a few
months ago, and they are replaying it, no doubt, due to her death.

I'm reminded of a time when music mattered more than it seems to now.
She was all over the media in the 60s-90s: Johnny Carson as guest,
Johnny Carson as guest host, Dick Cavett, Merv Griffin, 60 Minutes
profiles, covers of Time and Newsweek, game shows, etc. She was part of
popular culture.

Jenn, may be your viewing habits changed?

Now it seems like it's about scandal, "sexiness", the seven deadly sins.
That's what sells. You don't have to sing anywhere near in tune to be a
hit (listen to American Idol). Most every household knew her name. Now
most every household knows Michael Jackson's name.

Was not it always this way? Scandals, sex, seven deadly sins were
always good sellers in a media.
Michael Jackson was a household name in 80s.

She was a lovely lady; a devoted wife and daughter, doting mother to two
handicapped children. Later in life she raised millions for the New
York City Opera, then Lincoln Center, then The Met.

You are absolutely right about that. But it did did not make her a
better singer, just more popular.

And she was perhaps
the greatest singing actress we've yet seen.

Oh, give me a break. How about Maria Callas, Montserrat Caballé,
Renata Scotto?
Can you put her in the same league as Elisabeth Schwarzkopf?

OK, enough of my descent into "oldfartdom".

You are right, Jenn.

vlad

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

Sander deWaal said:

Believe me, the music of Michael Jackson was brilliant compared to the
crap they foist upon us today.

Well well well... Don't you feel dirty offering praise to Jacko?

--

Krooscience: The antidote to education, experience, and excellence.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article . com,
vlad wrote:

Another elitist complains

Another ignorant idiot attempts to insult me

On Jul 5, 8:07 pm, Jenn wrote:
I'm watching a Beverly Sills retrospective on PBS. I first saw it a few
months ago, and they are replaying it, no doubt, due to her death.

I'm reminded of a time when music mattered more than it seems to now.
She was all over the media in the 60s-90s: Johnny Carson as guest,
Johnny Carson as guest host, Dick Cavett, Merv Griffin, 60 Minutes
profiles, covers of Time and Newsweek, game shows, etc. She was part of
popular culture.

Jenn, may be your viewing habits changed?

Not that I'm aware of.

Now it seems like it's about scandal, "sexiness", the seven deadly sins.
That's what sells. You don't have to sing anywhere near in tune to be a
hit (listen to American Idol). Most every household knew her name. Now
most every household knows Michael Jackson's name.

Was not it always this way? Scandals, sex, seven deadly sins were
always good sellers in a media.

Yes, but I think that excellence was celebrated more before.

Michael Jackson was a household name in 80s.

But not due to the scandals for which he's widely known now.

She was a lovely lady; a devoted wife and daughter, doting mother to two
handicapped children. Later in life she raised millions for the New
York City Opera, then Lincoln Center, then The Met.

You are absolutely right about that. But it did did not make her a
better singer,

I didn't say that it did.

just more popular.

And she was perhaps
the greatest singing actress we've yet seen.

Oh, give me a break. How about Maria Callas, Montserrat Caball?,
Renata Scotto?
Can you put her in the same league as Elisabeth Schwarzkopf?

I wasn't perfectly clear. Put in the context of my post about her
death, when I write "we've yet seen" I mean "that America has produced".
Actually, now that you mention it, I think that Sills was probably a
better actress than everyone you named other than Callas.

OK, enough of my descent into "oldfartdom".

You are right, Jenn.

vlad

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Jenn" wrote in message

[...]

While failing to note that the songwriting for The Monkees was
exceptional (Boyce-Hart, Neil Diamond, Carole King), that there were
many firsts, including the first use of the synthsizer, and that at
least two of the "talentless" Monkees had enjoyed success prior to
joining that band.

As an aside, Mike Nesmith was an early pioneer of music video.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Nesmith

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Jones_%28actor%29

As usual, you get your "facts" wrong.

Anyway...being eclipsed is far from in decline and I think there are
lots of talented musicians who may not get the MSM recognition
once bestowed on the likes of Beverly Sills....but that's really
an issue with MSM pursuing ratings over talent.
How does a wholesome talented actress compete with a
crotch shot of Britney? They can't and shouldn't even want to
try.

Yes, that's it, 2pid: "wholesome" loses out to "pussy" every time.

That has to be it.

Imbecile.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW ScottW is offline

On Jul 6, 11:44 am, Jenn wrote:
In article . com,

vlad wrote:
Another elitist complains

Another ignorant idiot attempts to insult me

You don't want to be characterized as complaining or an elitist?

Since you accepted much of the rest of his post and
determined, again, that you needed to clarify yourself ..what was the
ignorant idiot thing really all about?

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW ScottW is offline

"Jenn" wrote in message

[...]

The songwriters may have been exceptional.
The songwriting was not.

that there were
many firsts, including the first use of the synthsizer, and that at
least two of the "talentless" Monkees had enjoyed success prior to
joining that band.

Success defines talent? ....Not according to Jenn.

As an aside, Mike Nesmith was an early pioneer of music video.

Oh boy...so he's kind of responsible for MTV.
How wonderful!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Nesmith

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Jones_%28actor%29

As usual, you get your "facts" wrong.

As usual, none of the above is relevant to your cause,
but hey....just hitting send is victory enough for you.

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
vlad vlad is offline

On Jul 6, 10:44 am, Jenn wrote:
In article . com,

vlad wrote:
Another elitist complains

Another ignorant idiot attempts to insult me

Typical elitist's reaction - "anybody who disagrees with me is an
ignorant idiot"

BTW, why considering you an elitist is an insult?

On Jul 5, 8:07 pm, Jenn wrote:
I'm watching a Beverly Sills retrospective on PBS. I first saw it a few
months ago, and they are replaying it, no doubt, due to her death.

I'm reminded of a time when music mattered more than it seems to now.
She was all over the media in the 60s-90s: Johnny Carson as guest,
Johnny Carson as guest host, Dick Cavett, Merv Griffin, 60 Minutes
profiles, covers of Time and Newsweek, game shows, etc. She was part of
popular culture.

Jenn, may be your viewing habits changed?

Not that I'm aware of.

Come on, Jenn. You are much older now. Of course you progressed in
your tastes.

[...]

You are very good at twisting your own words, Jenn.

In my opinion she was rather mediocre singer. BTW, if you are talking
about "America has produced", how about Renee Fleming? With all my
respect to Beverly Sills as a public personality she does not keep a
candle to Fleming as a singer.

OK, enough of my descent into "oldfartdom".

You are right, Jenn.

vlad

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Jenn" wrote in message

[...]

This proves you wouldn't know a good song if it bit you in the ass.

that there were
many firsts, including the first use of the synthsizer, and that at
least two of the "talentless" Monkees had enjoyed success prior to
joining that band.

Success defines talent? ....Not according to Jenn.

Why do you insist on using others (particularly, it seems, Jenn) to
base your arguments on? Is an original 'thought' that difficult for
you? Or are you simply a brainless troll?

What a small-'mind'ed little thing you are.

There are in actuality very few successful people who have no talent.
Generally, the public is smarter than you give them credit for.
Consider Kevin Federline, for example.

That's ironic, though: you want the general public to have no rules or
regulations concerning many things related to business and so on, yet
you consider them too stupid to figure out what they like musically.
This is just one more line of 'logic' that makes you what you a
RAO's Premier Imbecile.

As an aside, Mike Nesmith was an early pioneer of music video.

Oh boy...so he's kind of responsible for MTV.
How wonderful!

Yes, I like it too. Videos add another dimension to many pop songs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Nesmith

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Jones_%28actor%29

As usual, you get your "facts" wrong.

As usual, none of the above is relevant to your cause,
but hey....just hitting send is victory enough for you.

Ah, you're (LOL!) new battle cry. Saying it over and over doesn't make
it true, though, 2pid. You get your're (LOL!) ass handed to you based
on the logic and merits of you're (LOL!) 'arguments' (or, more
accurately, the lack thereof).

So 2pid, who do you consider you'reself to be smarter than on RAO? Who
on RAO is smarter than you?

(Hint: 1. Nobody. 2. Everybody.)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article .com,
ScottW wrote:

Eclipsed by the disgusting $$ rained on no-talent
produucer created pop stars of today. A practice in play
since the Monkees .

While failing to note that the songwriting for The Monkees was
exceptional (Boyce-Hart, Neil Diamond, Carole King),

The songwriters may have been exceptional.
The songwriting was not.

C'mon! Pleasant Valley Sunday, Last Train to Clarksville, Stepping
Stone, excellent songwriting.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article . com,
vlad wrote:

On Jul 6, 10:44 am, Jenn wrote:
In article . com,

vlad wrote:
Another elitist complains

Another ignorant idiot attempts to insult me

Typical elitist's reaction - "anybody who disagrees with me is an
ignorant idiot"

Which is not what I've done, but feel free to keep making things up.
How you're acting like an ignorant idiot is in your calling me an
elitist. Nothing could be further from the truth.

BTW, why considering you an elitist is an insult?

Because my dictionary defines "elitist" as:
1. A person who believes that a system or society should be ruled or
dominated by an elite
2. A person who believes that they belong to an elite.

On Jul 5, 8:07 pm, Jenn wrote:
I'm watching a Beverly Sills retrospective on PBS. I first saw it a few
months ago, and they are replaying it, no doubt, due to her death.

I'm reminded of a time when music mattered more than it seems to now.
She was all over the media in the 60s-90s: Johnny Carson as guest,
Johnny Carson as guest host, Dick Cavett, Merv Griffin, 60 Minutes
profiles, covers of Time and Newsweek, game shows, etc. She was part of
popular culture.

Jenn, may be your viewing habits changed?

Not that I'm aware of.

Come on, Jenn. You are much older now. Of course you progressed in
your tastes.

Of course they have, but I haven't noticed changes in my viewing habbits.

[...]

Well, to each his own. Do you think that La Scalla, et al are in the
habit of giving multi-year contracts to mediocre singers?

BTW, if you are talking
about "America has produced", how about Renee Fleming? With all my
respect to Beverly Sills as a public personality she does not keep a
candle to Fleming as a singer.

I love Fleming, but I would say that she's about equal to Sills in
singing, but is a FAR inferior actress to Sills.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article . com,
ScottW wrote:

On Jul 6, 11:44 am, Jenn wrote:
In article . com,

vlad wrote:
Another elitist complains

Another ignorant idiot attempts to insult me

You don't want to be characterized as complaining or an elitist?

An elitist, obviously, as the entire point of the post was clearly to
complain.

Since you accepted much of the rest of his post

False.

and
determined, again, that you needed to clarify yourself .

Yes, as opposed to people to refuse to clarify themselves when needed...

.what was the
ignorant idiot thing really all about?

See above.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article
,
MiNe 109 wrote:

In article .com,
ScottW wrote:

Eclipsed by the disgusting $$ rained on no-talent
produucer created pop stars of today. A practice in play
since the Monkees .

While failing to note that the songwriting for The Monkees was
exceptional (Boyce-Hart, Neil Diamond, Carole King),

The songwriters may have been exceptional.
The songwriting was not.

C'mon! Pleasant Valley Sunday, Last Train to Clarksville, Stepping
Stone, excellent songwriting.

Stephen

Shades of Grey, You Just May Be the One, Mr. Webster... all in all an
excellent pop music catalogue, well sung and played.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Jul 6, 4:41 pm, Jenn wrote:
In article
,
MiNe 109 wrote:

In article .com,
ScottW wrote:

Eclipsed by the disgusting $$ rained on no-talent
produucer created pop stars of today. A practice in play
since the Monkees .

While failing to note that the songwriting for The Monkees was
exceptional (Boyce-Hart, Neil Diamond, Carole King),

The songwriters may have been exceptional.
The songwriting was not.

C'mon! Pleasant Valley Sunday, Last Train to Clarksville, Stepping
Stone, excellent songwriting.

Shades of Grey, You Just May Be the One, Mr. Webster... all in all an
excellent pop music catalogue, well sung and played.- Hide quoted text -

I can't wait to see how 2pid turns this into a Liburral Plot.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
vlad vlad is offline

On Jul 6, 2:13 pm, Jenn wrote:

BTW, why considering you an elitist is an insult?

Because my dictionary defines "elitist" as:
1. A person who believes that a system or society should be ruled or
dominated by an elite
2. A person who believes that they belong to an elite.

Ironically, this definition describes you perfectly

Jenn, may be your viewing habits changed?

Not that I'm aware of.

Come on, Jenn. You are much older now. Of course you progressed in
your tastes.

Of course they have, but I haven't noticed changes in my viewing habbits.

Any competent shrink will explain to you your reason for this denial.

[...]

May be she was cheap to hire. You never know what the real reasons
were.

Like you, I trust my own ears more then to anything else. And for my
money she does not come close as a singer to likes of Callas,
Schwartskopf, Caballe, Kiri Te Kanawa or Fleming. As you say "to each
his own". We are on RAO, remember?

BTW, if you are talking
about "America has produced", how about Renee Fleming? With all my
respect to Beverly Sills as a public personality she does not keep a
candle to Fleming as a singer.

I love Fleming, but I would say that she's about equal to Sills in
singing, but is a FAR inferior actress to Sills.

Here, against my wishes I have to agree with you. Fleming is a very
poor actress. I saw her in Met's "Don Giovanny" and she did not even
try to act. That is the pity. I saw her in few other productions - she
does not act well, but her singing is pure heaven. And that's what we
are paying money for, is not it?

Cool down, Jenn.

vlad

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article . com,
vlad wrote:

On Jul 6, 2:13 pm, Jenn wrote:

BTW, why considering you an elitist is an insult?

Because my dictionary defines "elitist" as:
1. A person who believes that a system or society should be ruled or
dominated by an elite
2. A person who believes that they belong to an elite.

Ironically, this definition describes you perfectly

Not ironically, you're completely wrong. Of course, you'll choose not
to explain your statement.

Jenn, may be your viewing habits changed?

Not that I'm aware of.

Come on, Jenn. You are much older now. Of course you progressed in
your tastes.

Of course they have, but I haven't noticed changes in my viewing habbits.

Any competent shrink will explain to you your reason for this denial.

That's for knowing what I view.

[...]

May be she was cheap to hire.

lol Incorrect.

You never know what the real reasons
were.

You are wrong on the salary. What other possible reasons could there
be? Houses like La Scalla live or die on the quality of their product,
period.

Like you, I trust my own ears more then to anything else. And for my
money she does not come close as a singer to likes of Callas,
Schwartskopf, Caballe, Kiri Te Kanawa or Fleming. As you say "to each
his own". We are on RAO, remember?

Exactly.

BTW, if you are talking
about "America has produced", how about Renee Fleming? With all my
respect to Beverly Sills as a public personality she does not keep a
candle to Fleming as a singer.

I love Fleming, but I would say that she's about equal to Sills in
singing, but is a FAR inferior actress to Sills.

Here, against my wishes

lol Goes without saying.

I have to agree with you. Fleming is a very
poor actress. I saw her in Met's "Don Giovanny"

lol Looks like a pizza joint.

and she did not even
try to act. That is the pity.

Is that the 2000 production with Bryn? I've seen the DVD, and I would
agree with you.

I saw her in few other productions - she
does not act well, but her singing is pure heaven. And that's what we
are paying money for, is not it?

Mostly, but also the acting. Otherwise, you might as well have a
recital rather than an opera.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW ScottW is offline

"Jenn" wrote in message
In article
,
MiNe 109 wrote:

In article .com,
ScottW wrote:

Eclipsed by the disgusting $$ rained on no-talent
produucer created pop stars of today. A practice in play
since the Monkees .

While failing to note that the songwriting for The Monkees was
exceptional (Boyce-Hart, Neil Diamond, Carole King),

The songwriters may have been exceptional.
The songwriting was not.

C'mon! Pleasant Valley Sunday, Last Train to Clarksville, Stepping
Stone, excellent songwriting.

Stephen

Shades of Grey, You Just May Be the One, Mr. Webster... all in all an
excellent pop music catalogue, well sung and played.

Excellent pop if you must, but not excellent and quickly lost in the test of
time
except to the few who idolized them.

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article ,
"ScottW" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

In article
,
MiNe 109 wrote:

In article .com,
ScottW wrote:

Eclipsed by the disgusting $$ rained on no-talent
produucer created pop stars of today. A practice in play
since the Monkees .

While failing to note that the songwriting for The Monkees was
exceptional (Boyce-Hart, Neil Diamond, Carole King),

The songwriters may have been exceptional.
The songwriting was not.

C'mon! Pleasant Valley Sunday, Last Train to Clarksville, Stepping
Stone, excellent songwriting.

Stephen

Shades of Grey, You Just May Be the One, Mr. Webster... all in all an
excellent pop music catalogue, well sung and played.

Excellent pop if you must, but not excellent and quickly lost in the test of
time
except to the few who idolized them.

ScottW

Well, it ain't Mozart or the Beatles, I agree. But still very often
played on the radio, and Rhino sold a lot of their stuff.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
vlad vlad is offline

On Jul 6, 7:03 pm, Jenn wrote:
In article . com,

Well, to each his own. Do you think that La Scalla, et al are in the
habit of giving multi-year contracts to mediocre singers?

May be she was cheap to hire.

lol Incorrect.

You never know what the real reasons
were.

You are wrong on the salary. What other possible reasons could there
be? Houses like La Scalla live or die on the quality of their product,
period.

If you know something about this contract then, please, educate us -
simple peasants. Till then it can be anything and not only her voice/
acting.

Like you, I trust my own ears more then to anything else. And for my
money she does not come close as a singer to likes of Callas,
Schwartskopf, Caballe, Kiri Te Kanawa or Fleming. As you say "to each
his own". We are on RAO, remember?

Exactly.

. . .

I have to agree with you. Fleming is a very
poor actress. I saw her in Met's "Don Giovanny"

lol Looks like a pizza joint.

and she did not even
try to act. That is the pity.

Is that the 2000 production with Bryn? I've seen the DVD, and I would
agree with you.

Yes, that's it.

I saw her in few other productions - she
does not act well, but her singing is pure heaven. And that's what we
are paying money for, is not it?

Mostly, but also the acting. Otherwise, you might as well have a
recital rather than an opera.

Tend to agree with you at this point. For example, the best
production of "Cosi fan tutti" in my view was Peter Sellars production
on DVD (I saw it before on Laser). Setting, decorations and acting
were superb. At the same time they were all pretty mediocre singers,
or worse.

vlad

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW ScottW is offline

"Jenn" wrote in message
"ScottW" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

In article
,
MiNe 109 wrote:

In article .com,
ScottW wrote:

[...]

If I had to pick an American Pop icon of the era it would
probably be Mamas and the Papas.

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article ,
"ScottW" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

"ScottW" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
.
net
In article
,
MiNe 109 wrote:

In article .com,
ScottW wrote:

[...]

I might agree. Great, great sound. Only one #1 hit; three remembered
songs. I wrote a little guitar tune the day that Denny died. I might
nominate CSN/CSNY.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article .com,
vlad wrote:

On Jul 6, 7:03 pm, Jenn wrote:
In article . com,

Well, to each his own. Do you think that La Scalla, et al are in the
habit of giving multi-year contracts to mediocre singers?

May be she was cheap to hire.

lol Incorrect.

You never know what the real reasons
were.

You are wrong on the salary. What other possible reasons could there
be? Houses like La Scalla live or die on the quality of their product,
period.

If you know something about this contract then, please, educate us -
simple peasants.

Such an ass. Why do you ascribe such an attitude to me? What possible
reason do you have? Why should we all have to deal with the results of
your inferiority complex?

Till then it can be anything and not only her voice/
acting.

Her autobiography, "Bubbles". She states that her La Scala contract was
the second highest for a female up to that point. Feel free to look it
up.

[...]

Did you enjoy the unusual aspects of the production?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW ScottW is offline

"Jenn" wrote in message
"ScottW" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

"ScottW" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
.
net
In article
,
MiNe 109 wrote:

In article .com,
ScottW wrote:

[...]

Well.....I have a distinction between pop and rock. They were mainstream rock.
I like old Neil Young but CSNY didn't stick with me. Too polished
maybe?
I still play Jefferson Airplane often. I love Crown of Creation.
Lather was 30's year old today....

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article ,
"ScottW" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

"ScottW" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
.
com
"ScottW" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

gy.
net
In article
,
MiNe 109 wrote:

In article .com,
ScottW wrote:

[...]

Point taken.

I like old Neil Young but CSNY didn't stick with me. Too polished
maybe?

Have you seen their "Down By the River" (one of Neil's best songs, I
think) on Youtube? I love it. http://youtube.com/watch?v=yYZ50PjDTi8
Memories of high school dances for me!

I still play Jefferson Airplane often. I love Crown of Creation.
Lather was 30's year old today....

A fine album, but not generally "American Pop icon of the era"
nomination material, of course. I think that David Crosby wrote a track
on that album, didn't he?

I forgot to nominate Simon and Garfunkel. Real 60s pop icons. Simon
has had a truly incredible career. Unreal longevity. I saw one of
their reunion concerts about 4 years ago in Oakland. Totally cool. The
BEST live acoustic guitar sound in a large venue I've ever heard by a
long shot, BTW.

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW ScottW is offline

"Jenn" wrote in message
"ScottW" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

"ScottW" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
.
com
"ScottW" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

gy.
net
In article
,
MiNe 109 wrote:

In article .com,
ScottW wrote:

[...]

I moved onto my personal faves of the era.

I think that David Crosby wrote a track
on that album, didn't he?

Yup, Triad.

I forgot to nominate Simon and Garfunkel. Real 60s pop icons.

Very true.

Simon
has had a truly incredible career. Unreal longevity. I saw one of
their reunion concerts about 4 years ago in Oakland. Totally cool.

I saw an INHD TV broadcast of one in New York. It was fun to
watch. Their Best of album is one of the few compilations
I really like.

The
BEST live acoustic guitar sound in a large venue I've ever heard by a
long shot, BTW.

Since they came out with all this time synched drivers the large
venues have really improved with reinforced sound all over.
Sounds great compared to the one overwhelmingly loud PA
on stage of my youth.

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article ,
"ScottW" wrote:

[...]

You shouldn't be so vague! Just ribbin' ya.

I think that David Crosby wrote a track
on that album, didn't he?

Yup, Triad.

I forgot to nominate Simon and Garfunkel. Real 60s pop icons.

Very true.

Simon
has had a truly incredible career. Unreal longevity. I saw one of
their reunion concerts about 4 years ago in Oakland. Totally cool.

I saw an INHD TV broadcast of one in New York. It was fun to
watch.

yes, I have that DVD set. Excellent.

Their Best of album is one of the few compilations
I really like.

The
BEST live acoustic guitar sound in a large venue I've ever heard by a
long shot, BTW.

Since they came out with all this time synched drivers the large
venues have really improved with reinforced sound all over.
Sounds great compared to the one overwhelmingly loud PA
on stage of my youth.

lol Ain't it the truth?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
vlad vlad is offline

On Jul 6, 9:03 pm, Jenn wrote:

. . .

If you know something about this contract then, please, educate us -
simple peasants.

Such an ass. Why do you ascribe such an attitude to me? What possible
reason do you have? Why should we all have to deal with the results of
your inferiority complex?

You sound as Mr's Middus and Slick altogether. Quite an achievement,
Jenn.

Yes, reading your posts I learned something about your attitudes.

Till then it can be anything and not only her voice/
acting.

Her autobiography, "Bubbles". She states that her La Scala contract was
the second highest for a female up to that point. Feel free to look it
up.

Ok, she was paid well in La Scala. Still does not prove that she was
selected exclusively because of her voice. Does the book say it is?

May be she had extremely shrewd manager at a time.

. . .

Tend to agree with you at this point. For example, the best
production of "Cosi fan tutti" in my view was Peter Sellars production
on DVD (I saw it before on Laser). Setting, decorations and acting
were superb. At the same time they were all pretty mediocre singers,
or worse.

Did you enjoy the unusual aspects of the production?

I guess "unusual aspects" is something you did not like?
Tell us about it.

Cool down, Jenn.

vlad

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article . com,
vlad wrote:

On Jul 6, 9:03 pm, Jenn wrote:

. . .

If you know something about this contract then, please, educate us -
simple peasants.

Such an ass. Why do you ascribe such an attitude to me? What possible
reason do you have? Why should we all have to deal with the results of
your inferiority complex?

You sound as Mr's Middus and Slick altogether. Quite an achievement,
Jenn.

Yes, reading your posts I learned something about your attitudes.

Let's see: first you call me an elitist without explaining how the
definition that I supplied to you applies (as I predicted), and now you
won't explain your "us simple peasants" crack. Clearly, you're afraid
to admit that you're simply trolling.

Till then it can be anything and not only her voice/
acting.

Her autobiography, "Bubbles". She states that her La Scala contract was
the second highest for a female up to that point. Feel free to look it
up.

Ok, she was paid well in La Scala. Still does not prove that she was
selected exclusively because of her voice. Does the book say it is?

May be she had extremely shrewd manager at a time.

lol Yes, that's it, I'm quite sure.

. . .

Tend to agree with you at this point. For example, the best
production of "Cosi fan tutti" in my view was Peter Sellars production
on DVD (I saw it before on Laser). Setting, decorations and acting
were superb. At the same time they were all pretty mediocre singers,
or worse.

Did you enjoy the unusual aspects of the production?

I guess "unusual aspects" is something you did not like?
Tell us about it.

What's with you? I asked you a simple question. Did you enjoy the
unusual aspects of that production?

Cool down, Jenn.

Wise up, Vlad.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article

om,
Jenn wrote:

Have you seen their "Down By the River" (one of Neil's best songs, I
think) on Youtube? I love it. http://youtube.com/watch?v=yYZ50PjDTi8
Memories of high school dances for me!

"Down By the River" at a high school dance! If "Hey, Joe" can be a party
song, why not?

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Jenn" wrote in
message

In article
. com,
vlad wrote:

Another elitist complains

Another ignorant idiot attempts to insult me

Typical thinking found among people who love the Middiot.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in
message

In article
. com,
vlad wrote:

Another elitist complains

Another ignorant idiot attempts to insult me

Typical thinking found among people who love the Middiot.

Another useless troll.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

Default Mistress Dominatrix in demand!

The Krooborg gnashes its dental implants.

Another ignorant idiot [vladborg] attempts to insult me

Typical thinking found among people who love the Middiot.

Arnii, did you notice Scottie whining that Jenn doesn't try hard enough
to punish me? You've taught your Idiot well. ;-)

--

Krooscience: The antidote to education, experience, and excellence.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW ScottW is offline

On Jul 9, 10:28 am, George M. Middius cmndr _ george @ comcast .
net wrote:
The Krooborg gnashes its dental implants.

Another ignorant idiot [vladborg] attempts to insult me

Typical thinking found among people who love the Middiot.

Arnii, did you notice Scottie whining that Jenn doesn't try hard enough
to punish me? You've taught your Idiot well. ;-)

I'm sure Jenn just loves you to refer to her as your Mistress
Dominatrix.
Still, a glimmer of self-awareness shines under Bobs beacon as George
realizes a good ass-whipping is what he needs.
I just don't think Jenn is up for it. Have you asked Bob?
He'd hop the first train if you give him a call.

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Signal said:

I'm watching a Beverly Sills retrospective on PBS.

Errr... who?

You know what opera is, right? Here, lemme help:

Opera is where a guy gets stabbed in the back, and instead of dying,
he sings.
-- Robert Benchley

Oh how wonderful, really wonderful, opera would be if there were
no singers!
-- Gioacchino Rossini

--

Krooscience: The antidote to education, experience, and excellence.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article ,
Signal wrote:

Jenn wrote:

[...]

Beverly Sills. Oh no; was I vague again?