Posted to rec.audio.tech
Randy Yates Randy Yates is offline

Default Restoring quality from low-bitrate MP3

Industrial One writes:

On Oct 17, 4:02 am, "Chronic Philharmonic"
wrote:
"Industrial One" wrote in message

On Oct 15, 3:39 pm, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
"Randy Yates" wrote ...

Industrial One writes:
How can I improve the quality of a clip that suffers from smearing/
ringing artifacts due to low-medium bitrates?

You cannot. You cannot replace information that has been lost.

Hence the term "lossy compression".
Does I1 have a list of troll questions that he posts regularly?

"I1..." I kinda like it, despite how robotic it sounds.

On Oct 15, 9:56 pm, Randy Yates wrote:
Which is a ridiculous request. Sorta like "improving the quality" of the
output of an 8-bit A/D. The noise is (or in your case, artifacts are)
there to stay.

Bull****, the noise can be removed via noise-removal techniques and re-
saved as 16-bit.

If that were true, we'd just save everything as 8-bits, and do the noise
removal. Noise removal techniques are iffy at best, and obnoxious at worst,
even when meticulously tuned and applied by hand.

Because it's useless if I'm gonna compress to MP3 since it'll smear
and **** up the noise, making it harder to detect and remove. But as
long as the noise dB are significantly lower than the signal, it can
be easily removed, especially by hand.

Yeah.
--
% Randy Yates % "Maybe one day I'll feel her cold embrace,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % and kiss her interface,