Posted to rec.audio.tech
Tony[_11_] Tony[_11_] is offline

Default Adding audio tracks to MIDI from a Yamaha SYXG50 soft-synth - help!

Hi.
I have created a lot of MIDI files using various editors (currently Sonar) and a Yamaha
SYXG50 soft-synth, on an dual core, 2GB Asus mobo plus Echo Layla 8+8 interface.

Now I need to add some guitar and vocal parts, but there seems to be some conflict. The
soft-synth will only play through the mobo's awful codec, any audio track I manage to
record will only play through the Layla, and when I try to play both of these at once, the
MIDI file playback slows by about 40% and all sound turns to grunge.

I also tried installing Roland's VSC as a VSTi, but didn't seem to be able to get that
working either. In any case, Anyway, I much prefer the sounds from the SYXG50.

I also tried to capture the MIDI file into stereo audio. The sound card can't record the
soft-synth directly (on ANY of the PCs I own), so I patched line-out to line-in, but the
MIDI won't play while Sound Recorder is running. Will now try patching between two PCs,
playing the MIDI file on one and recording on another, which should work, but that's still
no more than a temporary fix, as I need to be able to do further MIDI edits after the
audio is added.

Can anyone suggest any tips to get things working? Or a DXi or VSTi comparable with the
SYXG50? Or a better direction to take?

Thanks, Tony