Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] courtney@housequake.net is offline

Default Sub help for a 2000 Toyota 4Runner (help a brother out)

Hello everyone.

I recently found myself driving a much larger car than my last piece
of crap (a 1998 Eclipse). I had a decent but extremely outdated
system in that car (Aiwa MP3 - first gen, MB Quart doors and back seat
and MTX 10" sub all pushed by a 5 channel Alpine amp).

With a much bigger car, I've been working on what all I'll need to get
me a new sound system up and running. Here's a list of what I've
landed on for reference on the subs I need.

Head - Alpine iDA-X001 (when it comes out in two weeks)
Front Door - Alpine SPR-17S 6 1/2"
Back Door - Alpine SPR-13C 5 1/4"
4-Channel Amp - Alpine MRP-450 (all door speakers)

So that brings me to the question finally.

How much should I put in the back to get some good bass? Two 12"'s?
A single 12"? Two 10"'s?

Also... the box. I'm hearing sealed or ported or something. Someone
enlighten me based on the other gear and the type of car.

I do not listen to rap. I would rather rip my ears off. I listen to
classic rock and classic R&B... loudly. Give me some Boston, Zeppelin
or Hendrix any day. It doesn't have to have that bass that makes the
back end rattle. That's embarrasing.

Since I'm on an Alpine roll, I've been looking at the R series subs
along with a Alpine MPR-M450 which should drive most of these well.
Any opinions on those? But again, the main question I have is how
many and what kind of box for my car.

All your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a good start. I'd prefer the Quarts over Alpine speakers,
personally, but that's me (feel free to ship those puppies to me if you want
them to go to a good home

I'd say a pair of 10s is probably sufficient for your needs, but there's nothing
wrong with a couple 12s (Boston's stuff has some pretty fat bottom end,
especially some of the stuff from Third Stage - "The Launch" SHOULD make your
teeth rattle!). My Accord hatchback rumbles nicely inside with a single JL 10",
without setting off seismometers outside.
Posted to rec.audio.car
D.Kreft D.Kreft is offline

On Mar 27, 3:52 pm, wrote:

Head - Alpine iDA-X001 (when it comes out in two weeks)
Front Door - Alpine SPR-17S 6 1/2"
Back Door - Alpine SPR-13C 5 1/4"
4-Channel Amp - Alpine MRP-450 (all door speakers)

Just out of curiosity, why all Alpine from head to toe? Don't think
that just because you have the same brand throughout the car that
somehow this is going to magically sound "the best." There are other
manufacturers who do a much better job at making speakers than Alpine
does (e.g. JL Audio, MB Quart, Dynaudio).

How much should I put in the back to get some good bass? Two 12"'s?
A single 12"? Two 10"'s?

This is way too subjective..."good bass" means something different to
everyone. I think a good place for you to start is to decide first how
much money you're willing to spend on your entire system and how much
space you're willing to sacrifice for your subwoofer enclosure. Once
you have that figured out, picking a good sub and enclosure will be
much easier.

Also... the box. I'm hearing sealed or ported or something. Someone
enlighten me based on the other gear and the type of car.

See the "Myth of the Magic Box" tutorials on the JL Audio website--
they'll help clear up the pros and cons of various enclosure types:

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=146

Since I'm on an Alpine roll, I've been looking at the R series subs
along with a Alpine MPR-M450 which should drive most of these well.

Again, why the Alpine "roll"? I'd hazard a guess to say that anything
made by JL Audio would likely give you better results in the same
price point--JL Audio doesn't do anything half-donkeyed. :-)

I've heard a single JL Audio 18W6 do some magnificent things...even on
classic rock (though it is a bit power hungry). Typically speaking,
though, you'll probably want a decent amount of piston area to
adequately move the air in your SUV and give you that satisfying
visceral impact--which isn't necessarily saying that it's bone-
crushingly loud, but rather enough to give you a decent amount of
"oomph."

Let us know about the money and space thing...

-dan

Oh, BROTHER!! Peter Wieck Vacuum Tubes 4 September 15th 06 01:22 PM
Aux input Toyota Camry 2000 receiver Lars Car Audio 4 July 12th 06 03:22 AM
2000 Toyota Corolla radio [email protected] Car Audio 6 September 21st 05 03:01 PM
Oh, brother. Here we go again... Sandman Audio Opinions 51 December 16th 03 09:14 PM
Toyota Factory Stereos and Amps for auction 99 Avalon & 98 4Runner shilly Car Audio 0 October 29th 03 12:33 AM