Jeremys4runner Jeremys4runner is offline
Junior Member

Question How would this work???

I have a 2 or 8 ohm premier spl 10 inch DVC sub, Obviously I could use a mono sub amp and wire both voice coils and run it on 2 ohms, but I already have a nice 800 watt soundstream van gogh 2 channel amp, power is 800 watts rms at 12 volts with both channels bridged at 4 ohms. How would I wire this sub to get the 2 ohms or 8 ohms it is rated at, with a 2channel amp, and still get the most rms out of the amp???? Could you bridge it twice, 4 ohms bridged on one voice coil, and 4 ohms bridged on the other? making 2 ohms?
Daniel Snooks

Jeremys4runner wrote:
I have a 2 or 8 ohm premier spl 10 inch DVC sub, Obviously I could
use a mono sub amp and wire both voice coils and run it on 2 ohms,
but I already have a nice 800 watt soundstream van gogh 2 channel
amp, power is 800 watts rms at 12 volts with both channels bridged at
4 ohms. How would I wire this sub to get the 2 ohms or 8 ohms it is
rated at, with a 2channel amp, and still get the most rms out of the
amp???? Could you bridge it twice, 4 ohms bridged on one voice coil,
and 4 ohms bridged on the other? making 2 ohms?

You can't. The best you could acheive with that combo is approx 400W x 1 @ 8
ohm which would MASSIVELY underpower that sub. IMO, it would still make
plenty of noise, but I don't see the point of using $1500 worth of amplifier
and sub to get less then optimal output.

Your best option would be to get rid of the SPL 10 and find a nice 4 ohm
SVC, or dual 2 ohm 10" that can handle 800W RMS.

--
Dan Snooks

Scott Gardner

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 21:06:37 -0400, "Daniel Snooks"
wrote:

Jeremys4runner wrote:
[...]

You don't have to use both coils on a DVC sub. He could bridge his
amp to mono and drive a single 4-ohm voice coil with it. The power
handling of the sub will be reduced somewhat, but not by half. Adire
Audio even has a page describing how to connect a variable resistor to
the unused coil to adjust the 'Q' of the speaker/enclosure combo.

--
Scott Gardner

"People must not do things for fun. We are not here for fun. There is no reference to fun in any Act of Parliament."

Daniel Snooks

wrote:

Jeremys4runner wrote:
[...]

Quite so, thanks for the correction.

--
Dan Snooks

Daniel Snooks

Brett wrote:
Couldn't you use 1 channel from the amp for each voice coil?

pioneer list it as an option for powering most of their DVC subs?

"Jeremys4runner" wrote in
message ...

I have a 2 or 8 ohm premier spl 10 inch DVC sub, Obviously I could
use a mono sub amp and wire both voice coils and run it on 2 ohms,
but I already have a nice 800 watt soundstream van gogh 2 channel
amp, power is 800 watts rms at 12 volts with both channels bridged
at 4 ohms. How would I wire this sub to get the 2 ohms or 8 ohms it
is rated at, with a 2channel amp, and still get the most rms out of
the amp???? Could you bridge it twice, 4 ohms bridged on one voice
coil, and 4 ohms bridged on the other? making 2 ohms?

--
Jeremys4runner

He could, but each VC is 4ohm, so he would still only get about 400W total
power going to the sub.

--
Dan Snooks