Johan Wagener

Default shop bought box vs box built to specs

How much better is it to build the box for your subs according to specs?

There seems to be many boxes available but I suppose it would be better to
build it yourself.

What benefit does it have when you use a spec box? Better bass quality?

narcolept

"Johan Wagener" wrote in message
How much better is it to build the box for your subs according to specs?

There seems to be many boxes available but I suppose it would be better to
build it yourself.

What benefit does it have when you use a spec box? Better bass quality?

Better build quality, for one. 3/4" MDF v 1/2" particle board, most of the
time..

http://www.installer.com/tech/boxstrength.html
http://www.installer.com/tech/box.html

narcolept
-----
yes, I replied just to beat TWFER to his own links

sanitarium

IMHO if the box is built using quality materials theres minimal difference.

IMHO the main advantage to building your own is that you can choose a
sub FIRST and then design/tune the enclosure around it.
If you buy a prebuilt box, woofer selection narrows down to a sub that
will perfrom optimally with THAT prebuilt enlosure volume.

Garrett

Johan Wagener wrote:

How much better is it to build the box for your subs according to specs?

There seems to be many boxes available but I suppose it would be better to
build it yourself.

What benefit does it have when you use a spec box? Better bass quality?

Eddie Runner

most of the time when folks try to build thier own box they
have no idea what they are doing... In this case manytimes
the store bought box would be better....

Store bought boxes are not BAD,
boxes you buld yourself
if you dont know whatyour doing could be VERY BAD!
I have laughed at many in my time..!!

However, building a box yourself gives you total control of
more of the aspects of the woofer system design and with
training in *speaker design*, *cabinetry*, and *accoustics*, and
with some *experementing* it is possible to make a better
sounding box!

Good luck
Eddie Runner

Johan Wagener wrote:

How much better is it to build the box for your subs according to specs?

There seems to be many boxes available but I suppose it would be better to
build it yourself.

What benefit does it have when you use a spec box? Better bass quality?

Shop rip off--used 8g wire f/installation--4g worth it to redo? C. Olofsson Car Audio 32 October 19th 03 04:46 PM
Need Feedback on opening a Car Audio shop SQUOSH Car Audio 19 October 7th 03 03:19 AM
MTX Woofer Specs vern Car Audio 4 September 26th 03 02:04 PM
Garage sale still going - added new stuff. Ge0 Car Audio 0 July 29th 03 01:54 AM