Clyde Slick

"Howard Ferstler" wrote in message

Which ones, and where in them did I go wrong? Knowing that
will help me to straighten out my act.

Try juggleing two wrecking balls, intead of three.

Howard Ferstler

George Middius wrote:

Did you just tell us *again* that your oft-postponed retirement from the "audio
business" is now imminent? If you ever do retire (and let's not forget you've
made the same announcement several times previously), that will curtail the
obnoxious behavior a little.

Yes, this is it, both here and in regular print. I recently
purchased a blood-pressure monitor (doctor's suggestion) and
have discovered that every time I sit down and correspond
with you nitwits my readings climb.

So, dickhead, this is it. Enjoy your audio system, such as
it is.

Howard Ferstler
Howard Ferstler

Sander deWaal wrote:

Howard Ferstler said:

Sure. I use dbx dynamic range enhancers and bass
synthesizers with SOME pop materials and also with SOME (non
DD or DTS) movie sources. I also use DSP to synthesize
additional channels with two-channel sources. All sorts of
options are there.

What is better: a contraption where almost every parameter can be
(mis) adjusted by the ignorant user or a fixed correction (like the
RIAA- or NAB correction in a phono- or tape head preamp) ?

But those corrections are designed to restore a dialed in
equalization curve by the recording engineer (to aid in
making a proper recording) to flat-response, pristine
status. Your dialed-in amp diddlings are not that way at
all. They intentionally color the sound and run completely
counter to the need for per-channel clean performance.

However, you STILL want the amps to do nothing more than
amplify. Having them color all source materials in the same
way is, as I noted, akin to looking through the world full
time while wearing colored sun glasses.

And I maintain my position that for a certain preferred sound from the
entire system, a fixed correction in just one link of the chain is
entirely justified.

Enjoy your toys, slick.

As a "professional audio clown" you should know that.

Note that I am retired.

Make that "retired professional audio clown", note.

If you only knew. Yes, I am getting out of it. I recently
started reading heavily again (librarian, remember?) and
discovered just how much I had been missing since becoming
an audio writer. I just finished a book published 42 years
ago and not only enjoyed the hell out of it (it was an
intellectual history book written by Crane Brinton) but also
marveled at its excellent condition. Like new, actually.
Quite in contrast to computers that go into obsolescence
after four or five years.

But it cannot be adjusted. And switching amps to color the
sound that way sounds like an awkward way to achieve goals
that should be very simple.

An amp is just a link in a long chain.
you accept the choices the recorcing and mastering engineer made, why
not accept the choice your amp designer made, especially when you like
the final result?

There is no figuring the taste of the unsophisticated mind.

Face it. You like toys, and toy playing is your primary
goal.

I must admit to liking toys, but only when they run on 250V.
My primary goal is to create a reproduction of my preferred music that
pleases me.

Ignorance is bliss.

Tell me Howard: if you could sue those tweakos for that, you'd do so,
wouldn't you? ;-)

No, I now realize that there is no point in hanging around
with fools.

Howard Ferstler
Howard Ferstler

Sander deWaal wrote:

Mr Pierce's outlook on audio might not be so different from mine, but
that's a subtlety you probably won't understand.

For some reason, I agree with you. And, no, I do not care to
understand in the least. After fooling with the hobby for
years I have come to the conclusion that both sides,
"serious" subjectivists and "serious" objectivists alike,
are goofballs. It is a good group to leave behind.

Howard Ferstler
Howard Ferstler

Sander deWaal wrote:

Howard Ferstler said:

PS: Thanks for the cheap shot regarding my journalistic and
book-writing efforts in that other reply of yours. It
certainly opened my eyes - about you.

Owww......when will this wear off? ;-)

Right after I submit my final post.

Howard Ferstler

Ayn Marx

Howard Ferstler wrote:
George Middius wrote:

Blah, blah, blah etc

STOP CROSS POSTING THIS **** TO AUS.HI-FI ! ! ! !

Howard Ferstler

Howard Ferstler wrote:
It would have hurt even more if I were still in the
audio-writing business. As an "outsider" I can now take Mr.
Pierce's insults with a grain of salt. Well, almost.

Get over it.

Not a chance. Actually, your little straw "broke the camel's
back" as it relates to my situation, and for that I thank
you. I have been itching to get out of the audio-writing
business for a while, and after getting back into book
reading (retired library clerk, remember?) I have recently
remembered just how much I miss that and how much I abhor
writing audio commentaries.

Yeah, it was fun for a while, and it even paid a bit, but
when I started to dread the deadlines and started to wince
whenever I was notified that a product was on the way to be
reviewed, I knew it was time to fold up my keyboard and get
back to books. Thanks for delivering the final impetus to
quit. I leave the audio-commentary field to you. Welcome
back to the fool's paradise.

The problem is that in so many ways we are on the same side.

Howard, we most assuredly are NOT "on the same side,"
and
never have been.

Speaking of never, never have I been so glad to read
something printed here. That I thought I could be on the
side of a guy like you mystifies even me. Hell, there are
tweakos here who think that you are on their side.
Congratulations.

For years you have been spouting your nonsense,
quite clearly and deliberately misrepresenting the position of
myself and others, you've been ducking responsibility for your
quite deliberate errors and generally blaming everyone else for
your own shortcomings.

Hey, Dick, do not take this personally, but **** You.

This has happened time and again and you
have demonstrated that you are either unable or unwilling to
change your attitude.

Dick, the hobby is populated by opportunists, con artists,
goofballs and true believers. You actually think that I want
to continue to hang around with such people. Heck, the
Circuit City and Best Buy shopper crowd is a full order of
magnitude saner than the typical "serious" audio buff. And
happier, too. And, Dick, this "serious" gathering is a group
that you belong to. Charter member.

The current thread is merely the latest
in a long series where you have been so cock-sure that you were
absolutely dead right, be it from how amplifiers work to how
objectivists or subjectivists "think."

I know how they think better than you do by a long shot. I
also know how a bloated egotist such as yourself thinks.

You don't like having your nonsense given back to you in the form
of an enema? Then stop spouting it to begin with.

I certainly will. Good luck with your work.

PS: just joking about the final sentence.

Howard Ferstler (retired, and glad of it)
Howard Ferstler

"Margaret von B." wrote:

Howard, have you ever heard of harakiri? It is a great, honorable solution
employed by the japanese.

Only if they lose, pinhead. The only losers here are you
guys.

Howard Ferstler
Howard Ferstler

"Margaret von B." wrote:

"Howard Ferstler" wrote in message

Not a chance. In any case, just because Pierce thinks I am a
misrepresenting troublemaker who does more harm than good

I think you're trying to mislead people again, Howard. Mr. Pierce more or
less said that you're an UTTER IDIOT who has accomplished NOTHING but DAMAGE
in the field of audio.

I assume you are his spokesperson. In any case, the hobby
has gone to pot without my help, thank you.

Yep, you guys STILL
have to deal with him and his tool box full of brass tacks.

With pleasure, Howard. Unlike you, he obviously knows what he's talking
about.

I wonder what his opinion is of you, slick. One can only
speculate - for now.

You have my deepest sympathies.

Sympathies? Just because he humiliated you with his knowledge, exposed your
garbage for what it is and demonstrated superior writing skills? Seems like
an OK guy to me!

No doubt he is glad to join you in the world of tweako
audio. Congratulations to both of you. Gad, if this were
true I pity the both of you.

Dick really gave it to you up the ass in front of the sold out stadium,
Howard. All you can do is bleed.

Not really. Tweako style high end audio is bleeding more
than enough as it is to satisfy me. Actually, you guys
deserve each other. Pierce, who misses the target
automatically and you guys who ought to be an easy target
for him to work over. He treats all of you with too much
kindness.

Now, I think I will go read a good book and leave you
nitwits to your toys.

Howard Ferstler

Howard Ferstler

George Middius wrote:

Fella said:

Dick really gave it to you up the ass in front of the sold out stadium,
Howard. All you can do is bleed.

Why don't you guys cut the guy some slack, it's only audio ferchrissakes.

It's not "only audio" for the Ferstlerian. How could you not know that?

No, he is correct. It is "only audio" and that all of us (me
included) have spent so much time here dealing with
trivialities is more pathetic than comic.

Gad, am I glad to be getting away from this madhouse. I
wrote my last review article a month ago (not yet in print,
but in the pipeline) and staying away from the work has
allowed me to unwind decently for the first time in years.
Now all I need to do is emancipate myself from this lunatic
asylum you occupy on a daily basis and that is it.

No more books and no more articles. I suppose that will make
you happy, but your happiness is trivial compared to mine.

Howard Ferstler

Howard Ferstler
Howard Ferstler

ScottW wrote:

Margaret von B. wrote:

Dick really gave it to you up the ass in front of the sold out stadium,
Howard. All you can do is bleed.

LOL!

Marge... We can see you are really desperate to explore your sexual
fantasies with George which is probably in truth considered a form of
masterbation, but isn't there a more appropriate group for that?

ScottW

Good luck to you, Scott. Frankly, I suggest you also move on
and leave this group to its delusions.

Howard Ferstler
Howard Ferstler

Trevor Wilson wrote:

"Howard Ferstler" wrote in message
Trevor Wilson wrote:

**I am aware of the limitations (and strengths) of line source arrays.
Are
you aware of the advantages of some electrostatic speakers?

I really cannot think of any. I suppose some people like to
listen primarily in the direct field, but the Lip****z paper
indicated that this is where the line-source speaker really
goes to hell.

Those performance parameters
come at a cost (amplifier-wise). Make no mistake: Electrostatic
speakers
are
not perfect. Far from it. They can often be comprehensively
outperformed
by
far less expensive designs.

So why purchase them?

**Because they do some things better than other speakers.

What things?

**Coherency, for one.

I am going to make this short. What does coherency mean?
Certainly if the sound is coming from a line the whole line
cannot be the same distance from the ears. Consequently, if
anything a line source is less coherent than typical cone
and dome populated systems.

And planar-magnetic speakers would have the same advantages
(as you indicate) as electrostatic jobs. Nope, I cannot see
any advantage of the latter over the former, and I cannot
see any advantage of either over good cone/dome systems.

**Why? You have amply demonstrated that I can learn nothing useful from
any
of your books.

Well, reading them would give you the opportunity to post
quotes from the books and then demolish them. "On page XX
Ferstler claims that people should do XXXXX, and this is
patently wrong. Here's why."

**If I felt the need to do that. I don't feel the need and I don't have the
time.

I am rather short of time, myself, which is why I have cut
up this post and do not intend to respond any more.

Of course, if you spent less time writing lengthy
commentaries here and tried to hunt up a copy of one of my
books you might actually discover that I do make some good
points in them.

Enjoy your work.

Howard Ferstler
Howard Ferstler

Ayn Marx wrote:

Howard Ferstler wrote:
George Middius wrote:

Blah, blah, blah etc

STOP CROSS POSTING THIS **** TO AUS.HI-FI ! ! ! !

Your wish is my command. This is the last one from me. Good
luck handling Middius.

Howard Ferstler
Margaret von B.

"Margaret von B." wrote:

[...]

It is gonna be boring without you, Howard!

Please don't leave us. Our flamethrowers will rust and our asskickers will
collect dust. After all, what is a circus without a clown?

Pretty please.....

Cheers,

Margaret

Howard Ferstler

"Margaret von B." wrote:

Please don't leave us. Our flamethrowers will rust and our asskickers will
collect dust. After all, what is a circus without a clown?

Pretty please.....

Cheers,

Margaret

You'll live.

Howard Ferstler
Howard Ferstler

"Margaret von B." wrote:

Howard, have you ever heard of harakiri? It is a great, honorable
solution
employed by the japanese.

Only if they lose, pinhead. The only losers here are you
guys.

Indeed, it will be like cable TV without the E Channel. I'd rather lose that
Wittlessmongrel (sp) guy who just tries to bore us to death and that ain't
fair.

Cheers,

Margaret

PS. I'll honestly miss you, you hairy-arsed old goon :-)

Go take on Pierce. Pick on somebody who will really give you
grief.

Howard Ferstler

Margaret von B.

"Margaret von B." wrote:

Please don't leave us. Our flamethrowers will rust and our asskickers
will
collect dust. After all, what is a circus without a clown?

Pretty please.....

Cheers,

Margaret

You'll live.

Ooh, just like Hemingway...

Sniff

Margaret

Margaret von B.

"Margaret von B." wrote:

Howard, have you ever heard of harakiri? It is a great, honorable
solution
employed by the japanese.

Only if they lose, pinhead. The only losers here are you
guys.

Indeed, it will be like cable TV without the E Channel. I'd rather lose
that
Wittlessmongrel (sp) guy who just tries to bore us to death and that
ain't
fair.

Cheers,

Margaret

PS. I'll honestly miss you, you hairy-arsed old goon :-)

Go take on Pierce. Pick on somebody who will really give you
grief.

Why would I?

Besides, you're changing the subject, Howard...

.....Howard...

.....HOOOOWAAAAAAAAARRRRD!!!!!

Sniff

Margaret

George M. Middius

Brother Horace the Posturing Poseur whined:

Pointing out your long history of incompetence, dishonesty and
misrepresentation and the potential damage it could cause to
unsuspecting readers is hardly a cheap shop.

It was cheap, because you base it upon the give and take
here and not my published materials. Talk about
misrepresentation. Give me a break.

And there you have it, folks & guys. Harold Ferstler out-and-out admits that
nothing he says on Usenet should be taken seriously. So much for all the
boasting about expertise with "tests" and knowledge of electronics. It's all
a bunch of Clerkian bluster, not even worth the bytes it occupies in
cyberspace.

ScottW

"Howard Ferstler" wrote in message
George Middius wrote:

Brother Horace the Shockingly Introspective croaked:

Unfortunately, he then went on to behave like an obnoxious
and insulting bully.

You don't say. Can you imagine? Just because he thinks he knows something
somebody else doesn't.

But he does know plenty, and that is the mystery for me. He
could have just set me straight with the basic information
he posted (I knew I was in a pickle well before his last
message, but I could not figure out how to gracefully get
out of it).

How about admit you had made an error? The sooner
the better usually. Most the animosity comes from your refusal to
admit your error.

ScottW

Clyde Slick

"Howard Ferstler" wrote in message

I certainly do, Middius. Thank god for all of us that
high-end audio is such an insignificant institution. For me,
leaving the business has been notably painless and free of
remorse. I miss it like I miss a toothache.

Correction: You miss it like you miss your hair.

Clyde Slick

"Howard Ferstler" wrote in message

Not a chance. In any case, just because Pierce thinks I am a
misrepresenting troublemaker who does more harm than good
does not mean that he is in your camp. Yep, you guys STILL
have to deal with him and his tool box full of brass tacks.

The Ferstler toolbox:

1 Clarabelle bicycle horn
3 Lemon meringue pies
4 extra bulbous red noses
1 pair yellow and red polka dot extra large shoes
1 Fisher toy wrecking ball

The mini car is parked in the garage.

ScottW

ScottW wrote:

Margaret von B. wrote:

Dick really gave it to you up the ass in front of the sold out stadium,
Howard. All you can do is bleed.

LOL!

Marge... We can see you are really desperate to explore your sexual
fantasies with George which is probably in truth considered a form of
masterbation, but isn't there a more appropriate group for that?

ScottW

Good luck to you, Scott. Frankly, I suggest you also move on
and leave this group to its delusions.

I come and go as I please and I don't need a blood pressure monitor

Honestly... all the crap aside on RAO aside I've had some very nice
folks help me out over the years with some stuff,
Graham, Sander, Trevor, Marc, Art among others have all gone out of their
way to provide me much more than just their posts at times. We don't have
to see eye to eye on everything, but starting from a basis that they have as
much right
to their opinion as anyone helps. Take a break and maybe you
someday you can accept RAO for what it is and enjoy what it has to offer.

NP: Jade Warrior Last Autumn's Dream (not available on CD)

ScottW

Clyde Slick

George Middius wrote:

Did you just tell us *again* that your oft-postponed retirement from the
"audio
business" is now imminent? If you ever do retire (and let's not forget
you've
made the same announcement several times previously), that will curtail
the
obnoxious behavior a little.

Yes, this is it, both here and in regular print. I recently
purchased a blood-pressure monitor (doctor's suggestion) and
have discovered that every time I sit down and correspond
with you nitwits my readings climb.

So, dickhead, this is it. Enjoy your audio system, such as
it is.

Howard Ferstler

So, in the next one hour and one minute since this post, you
posted thirteen more times. Settle down, you're going to ahve a stroke.

Clyde Slick

Sander deWaal wrote:

Howard Ferstler said:

PS: Thanks for the cheap shot regarding my journalistic and
book-writing efforts in that other reply of yours. It
certainly opened my eyes - about you.

Owww......when will this wear off? ;-)

Right after I submit my final post.

Every time you get a spanking, you go run up to your
room and hide for a week or two. You'll be back.

Clyde Slick

"Ayn Marx" wrote in message
oups.com...

Howard Ferstler wrote:
George Middius wrote:

Blah, blah, blah etc

STOP CROSS POSTING THIS **** TO AUS.HI-FI ! ! ! !

Talk to the aus. hi fi guy who made the very first post in this thread
and crossposted to RAO.

Clyde Slick

Ayn Marx wrote:

Howard Ferstler wrote:
George Middius wrote:

Blah, blah, blah etc

STOP CROSS POSTING THIS **** TO AUS.HI-FI ! ! ! !

Your wish is my command. This is the last one from me. Good
luck handling Middius.

Can you make your goodbyes a little shorter?

ScottW

Trevor Wilson wrote:

"Howard Ferstler" wrote in message

And if it is in parallel
with a speaker load that has way, way more resistance (not
to mention the additional AC impedance added) just how much
current is going to be available to pass through the
speaker?

**I suggest you read the words written by Mr Pinkerton and Mr Pierce. Mr
Pierce, in particular, has written eloquently and succinctly on this
topic.

I did, and they, and you are right and I was wrong. Sorry to
have pulled your chain so hard, although I still disagree
with you emphatically about that amp of yours, as well as
about wires.

Incidentally, given how I have treated you I cannot fault
you for striking back hard. Also, Pinkerton's reply was to
the point and quite civil, and I acknowledge that he was on
the mark.

Pierce was on the mark, too, and with a degree of expertise
that would honor a college professor.

A college professor teaching first semester electronics maybe.
Really, Howard.... it was that basic.

ScottW

dave weil

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 13:54:45 -0400, Howard Ferstler
wrote:

What would Howard do?

Actually, I purchase good, reliable gear and hook it up
carefully. Consequently, I have never had the problems that
you seem to have encountered with your gear.

NEVER?

Au contraire, mon ami.
George M. Middius

dave weil said:

Actually, I purchase good, reliable gear and hook it up
carefully. Consequently, I have never had the problems that
you seem to have encountered with your gear.

NEVER?
Au contraire, mon ami.

Harold's collection of humuidifiers and needle-nose pliers is legendary,
pal.

Sander deWaal

Howard Ferstler said:

Not a chance. Actually, your little straw "broke the camel's
back" as it relates to my situation, and for that I thank
you. I have been itching to get out of the audio-writing
business for a while, and after getting back into book
reading (retired library clerk, remember?) I have recently
remembered just how much I miss that and how much I abhor
writing audio commentaries.

Yeah, it was fun for a while, and it even paid a bit, but
when I started to dread the deadlines and started to wince
whenever I was notified that a product was on the way to be
reviewed, I knew it was time to fold up my keyboard and get
back to books. Thanks for delivering the final impetus to
quit. I leave the audio-commentary field to you. Welcome
back to the fool's paradise.

Sic transit gloria mundi.

--

"Audio as a serious hobby is going down the tubes."
- Howard Ferstler, 25/4/2005
Sander deWaal

Howard Ferstler said:

If you only knew. Yes, I am getting out of it. I recently
started reading heavily again (librarian, remember?) and
discovered just how much I had been missing since becoming
an audio writer. I just finished a book published 42 years
ago and not only enjoyed the hell out of it (it was an
intellectual history book written by Crane Brinton) but also
marveled at its excellent condition. Like new, actually.
Quite in contrast to computers that go into obsolescence
after four or five years.

I know you posess at least a fraction of a sense of humour, so allow
me to introduce to you the works of Guareschi, most notably the
excellent series of "Don Camillo".

Those stories are at least 50 years old, and if you're lucky you'll be
able to pick up a first print edition somewhere at an antique books
shop.

Read them and watch especially the character of Peppone.

--

"Audio as a serious hobby is going down the tubes."
- Howard Ferstler, 25/4/2005
Stewart Pinkerton

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:53:58 +0200, Sander deWaal
wrote:

Howard Ferstler said:

[...]

I have the Don Camillo Omnibus, and Peppone does seem a lot like
Hiddius! :-)

George Middius

Pukey Trollerton invites a reaming.

Read them and watch especially the character of Peppone.

I have the Don Camillo Omnibus, and Peppone does seem a lot like
Hiddius! :-)

For somebody who's a drunken version of Shrek, Stinky, you don't stand on the
firmest ground from which to launch literary assaults.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 26 Jul 2005 12:18:57 -0700, George Middius
wrote:

Pukey Trollerton invites a reaming.

Read them and watch especially the character of Peppone.

I have the Don Camillo Omnibus, and Peppone does seem a lot like
Hiddius! :-)

For somebody who's a drunken version of Shrek, Stinky, you don't stand on the
firmest ground from which to launch literary assaults.

Thanks for making the point................