e80cc = 12au7?

Old July 6th 15, 03:16 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default e80cc = 12au7?

Am Donnerstag, 6. April 2000 09:00:00 UTC+2 schrieb Danielle Holden:
> Someone is selling e80cc's on ebay and claiming they are can be used in
> place of a 12au7. Is this true? I cant confirm the equivalence
> anywhere.
>
> John

I use a Chinese Sonicgear amplifier for my PC. It actually uses one ECC82 / 12AU7 tube for preamp. I replaced it with a NOS Tungsram E80CC and never regretted that. The improvement in sound is unbelieveable.
But be cautious: may be the E80CC can replace an ECC82 only for audio but not for driver.
Old July 8th 15, 09:17 AM
John L Stewart John L Stewart is offline
Senior Member

Location: Toronto
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Am Donnerstag, 6. April 2000 09:00:00 UTC+2 schrieb Danielle Holden:
> Someone is selling e80cc's on ebay and claiming they are can be used in
> place of a 12au7. Is this true? I cant confirm the equivalence
> anywhere.
>
> John

I use a Chinese Sonicgear amplifier for my PC. It actually uses one ECC82 / 12AU7 tube for preamp. I replaced it with a NOS Tungsram E80CC and never regretted that. The improvement in sound is unbelieveable.
But be cautious: may be the E80CC can replace an ECC82 only for audio but not for driver.
The e80cc is neither a 12AU7 or 12AX7. See it here-

http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/190/e/E80CC.pdf

& here-

http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/009/e/E80CC.pdf

It is spec’d for digital applications, specifically cathode interface caused by long ‘OFF’ periods. Should be AOK for audio!

Cheers to all, John L Stewart
Attached Images

Old July 8th 15, 10:56 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes
jh[_3_]

On 08.07.2015 10:17, John L Stewart wrote:
> ;988400 Wrote:
>> Am Donnerstag, 6. April 2000 09:00:00 UTC+2 schrieb Danielle Holden:-
>>> Someone is selling e80cc's on ebay and claiming they are can be used

>> in
>>> place of a 12au7. Is this true? I cant confirm the equivalence
>>> anywhere.
>>>
>>> John-

>> I use a Chinese Sonicgear amplifier for my PC. It actually uses one
>> ECC82 / 12AU7 tube for preamp. I replaced it with a NOS Tungsram E80CC
>> and never regretted that. The improvement in sound is unbelieveable.
>> But be cautious: may be the E80CC can replace an ECC82 only for audio
>> but not for driver.

> The e80cc is neither a 12AU7 or 12AX7. See it here-

http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/190/e/E80CC.pdf

> & here-
>
> http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/009/e/E80CC.pdf
>
> It is spec’d for digital applications, specifically cathode interface
> caused by long ‘OFF’ periods. Should be AOK for audio!
>
> Cheers to all, John L Stewart

> |Filename: Avater.gif |
> |Download: http://www.audiobanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=414|

....it is a wonderfull tube for audio - pristine

regards

Jochen
Old July 10th 15, 01:55 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck

On Wednesday, July 8, 2015 at 5:56:42 PM UTC-4, jh wrote:
> On 08.07.2015 10:17, John L Stewart wrote:
> > ;988400 Wrote:
> >> in

> >> I use a Chinese Sonicgear amplifier for my PC. It actually uses one
> >> ECC82 / 12AU7 tube for preamp. I replaced it with a NOS Tungsram E80CC
> >> and never regretted that. The improvement in sound is unbelieveable.
> >> But be cautious: may be the E80CC can replace an ECC82 only for audio
> >> but not for driver.

> > The e80cc is neither a 12AU7 or 12AX7. See it here-

http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/190/e/E80CC.pdf

> > & here-
> >
> > http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/009/e/E80CC.pdf
> >
> > It is spec’d for digital applications, specifically cathode interface
> > caused by long ‘OFF’ periods. Should be AOK for audio!
> >
> > Cheers to all, John L Stewart
> >

> > +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
> > |Filename: Avater.gif |
> > |Download: http://www.audiobanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=414|
> > +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
> >

> ...it is a wonderfull tube for audio - pristine
>
> regards
>
> Jochen

Sure it is! But it is NOT always a valid substitute for a 12AU7, nor does it equal a 12AU7. That would be the point. And representing it as such is simply wrong.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old July 12th 15, 03:26 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes
jh[_3_]

On 10.07.2015 14:55, Peter Wieck wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 8, 2015 at 5:56:42 PM UTC-4, jh wrote:

>>> The e80cc is neither a 12AU7 or 12AX7. See it here-

http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/190/e/E80CC.pdf

>>> & here-
>>>
>>> http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/009/e/E80CC.pdf
>>>
>>> It is spec’d for digital applications, specifically cathode interface
>>> caused by long ‘OFF’ periods. Should be AOK for audio!
>>>
>>> Cheers to all, John L Stewart
>>>

>>> +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
>>> |Filename: Avater.gif |
>>> |Download: http://www.audiobanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=414|
>>> +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
>>>

>> ...it is a wonderfull tube for audio - pristine
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Jochen

> Sure it is! But it is NOT always a valid substitute for a 12AU7, nor does it equal a 12AU7. That would be the point. And representing it as such is simply wrong.
>
> Peter Wieck
> Melrose Park, PA

Did I?

I don't think so.

The E800CC is still a wonderful tube for audio

;-)

regards

Jochen
Old September 10th 15, 06:17 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Big Bad Bob

On 07/12/15 07:26, jh so wittily quipped:
> On 10.07.2015 14:55, Peter Wieck wrote:

http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/190/e/E80CC.pdf

>>> ...it is a wonderfull tube for audio - pristine
>>>
>>> regards
>>>
>>> Jochen

>> Sure it is! But it is NOT always a valid substitute for a 12AU7, nor
>> does it equal a 12AU7. That would be the point. And representing it as
>> such is simply wrong.
>>
>> Peter Wieck
>> Melrose Park, PA
>>

> Did I?
>
> I don't think so.
>
> The E800CC is still a wonderful tube for audio
>
> ;-)

I don't think anyone disputes that. but applications requiring a 12AU7
[let's say a reverb drive or AB2 drive] might not work the same. I
think *that* was the point.

FS: NOS GZ34 E80CC iga Vacuum Tubes 2 October 3rd 08 06:18 AM
FA Mullard E80CC GZ34 iga Vacuum Tubes 0 June 1st 04 02:49 PM
FA Mullard GZ34, E80CC etc iga Vacuum Tubes 0 May 24th 04 12:38 PM
FA : GZ34, E80CC etc iga Vacuum Tubes 0 April 28th 04 03:06 PM
FA: NOS GZ34 E80CC iga Vacuum Tubes 0 April 25th 04 08:05 AM