Posted to rec.audio.high-end
RemotePortal RemotePortal is offline

Default Please recommend flat "airy" speakers (budget: $1K-$2K/pair)

(Don't laugh, but) I enjoy my two Monsoon PC panel speakers and would
like to have the same "open" and "airy" feeling from my home stereo
speakers. Can someone please point me in the direction of what I
should purchase, models I should explore, or websites? Direct URLs
are appreciated.

Pete
Indian Trail, NC
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 17:50:27 -0700, RemotePortal wrote
(in article ):

(Don't laugh, but) I enjoy my two Monsoon PC panel speakers and would
like to have the same "open" and "airy" feeling from my home stereo
speakers. Can someone please point me in the direction of what I
should purchase, models I should explore, or websites? Direct URLs
are appreciated.

Pete
Indian Trail, NC

I too have a pair a Monsoons and always thought that they were the best
sounding of all the PC speaker systems.

The only way that I can help you is to say that Magnaplanar loudspeakers have
many of the same characteristics as the Monsoons: dipolar, dispersion gives
that open and airy sound. The speakers themselves are physically flat and
therefore fairly phase coherent and the diaphragms are light giving good
transient response. The Magnaplanar MG 1.6's are about $1700/pair and are
real bargains. Electrostatics are another way to go. Again, like the Monsoons
they are flat panels, dipolar, fast and airy. Martin Logan makes a new pair
of Electrostatic hybrids called the "Source" at $2000/pair, I understand that
they are dynamite. I have a pair of Martin Logan Aeon i speakers which cost
me about $4000 at the time. I love them. I replaced a pair of Magnaplanar MG
IIIcs with them. Both have that Monsoon quality only MUCH better.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
DaveW[_4_] DaveW[_4_] is offline

I would recommend that you look into Martin-Logan's electrostatic speakers.
They are a well known brand and offer an airy boxless sound that you would
probably instantly fall in love with. They have models at various price
points, so you should be able to find one you can afford.

--
--DaveW

"RemotePortal" wrote in message
(Don't laugh, but) I enjoy my two Monsoon PC panel speakers and would
like to have the same "open" and "airy" feeling from my home stereo
speakers. Can someone please point me in the direction of what I
should purchase, models I should explore, or websites? Direct URLs
are appreciated.

Pete
Indian Trail, NC

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 19:11:30 -0700, DaveW wrote
(in article ):

I would recommend that you look into Martin-Logan's electrostatic speakers.
They are a well known brand and offer an airy boxless sound that you would
probably instantly fall in love with. They have models at various price
points, so you should be able to find one you can afford.

As a M-L owner, I concur, but don't overlook the Magnaplanar MG 1.6's either.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Elem Peter Elem is offline

RemotePortal wrote:
(Don't laugh, but) I enjoy my two Monsoon PC panel speakers and would
like to have the same "open" and "airy" feeling from my home stereo
speakers. Can someone please point me in the direction of what I
should purchase, models I should explore, or websites? Direct URLs
are appreciated.

Pete
Indian Trail, NC

If you are used to using the monssons you probably have a subwoofer with
them. You may not have enough room for the Magneplanar MG 1.6 either.
The MMG "factory direct" may be what's for you. They retail for $550
plus shipping and can only be ordered from the
factory......magneplanar.com I use them with an SVS sub of very large
proportions and they are dynamite. In fact, they have a leg up on the
slower and larger MG 1.6 .........

KaiyureBoy KaiyureBoy is offline
Junior Member

Thumbs down Pls help me.

I have read your article and have one question to ask, would you pls Post your MSN to me?
Nicole Kidman Monica Bellucci Britney Spears Avril Lavigne Paris Hilton
Stewart Pinkerton Stewart Pinkerton is offline
Junior Member

Location: Near Leicester, England

Let's not forget the original, and some would say still the best - Quad!