Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Greg Grainger Greg Grainger is offline

Default High-end shops in Toronto and area?

I live in Toronto, but it's been a while since I involved myself with the
purchase of new equipment. Does anybody have any reccommendations for
high-end stereo places in and around the city?

Thanks in advance,
Greg.

--
Greg Grainger grainger(at)vex.net

'What a world of gammon and spinach it is, though, ain't it?'
- Miss Mowcher
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
willbill willbill is offline

Greg Grainger wrote:

I live in Toronto, but it's been a while since I involved myself with the
purchase of new equipment. Does anybody have any reccommendations for
high-end stereo places in and around the city?

Thanks in advance,

i agree that a great owner of a local
high-end audio store can be worth their
weight in gold

but they are few. otoh, Toronto is
a big place... so maybe

but what exactly are you looking for?
and what is your price range?

odds are you can get better ideas on
usenet, as well as better web prices

bill
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Bates Bates is offline

On Mar 24, 6:39 pm, (Greg Grainger) wrote:
I live in Toronto, but it's been a while since I involved myself with the
purchase of new equipment. Does anybody have any reccommendations for
high-end stereo places in and around the city?

Thanks in advance,
Greg.

--
Greg Grainger grainger(at)vex.net

'What a world of gammon and spinach it is, though, ain't it?'
- Miss Mowcher

Well....it really depends on what you want and how high end is high-
end?

Bay Bloor Radio used to have a lot of high end stuff that was quite
nice (NAD, McIntosh, Rotel, Rega etc...) but they seem to have gone
largely mid-fi and converted their drool-worthy upper floor into a
Bose showroom

- Brack Electronics has a decent selection (http://
www.brackelectronics.com/)
- I have had decent luck with Audio One (I like their sales staff
better than Brack personally) (http://www.audio-one.ca/)
- Great Metropolitan Sound has some pretty nice gear - maybe not quite
as high end - but nice stuff (http://www.greatmet.com/)
- American Sound of Canada, apart from having one the weirdest names,
one of the worst websites anywhere, and a strange hole in the wall
store has some really great stuff (http://www.americansound.com/)
- Finally (based on my quick recollection - there are many more),
Audio Excellence is worth checking out (http://
www.audioexcellence.ca/)

Hopefully that will get you started....

Bates....
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
RoninTO RoninTO is offline

On Mar 24, 6:39*pm, (Greg Grainger) wrote:
I live in Toronto, but it's been a while since I involved myself with the
purchase of new equipment. Does anybody have any reccommendations for
high-end stereo places in and around the city?

Thanks in advance,
Greg.

--
* * * * * *Greg Grainger * * * * * * * * * grainger(at)vex.net

* * *'What a world of gammon and spinach it is, though, ain't it?'
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *- Miss Mowcher

Hi Greg,
High end audio dealers in Toronto are very rare. I purchase most of
my equipment from the States (in the NY area) and over the net.

In the Toronto area I would recommend Audio Excellence in Richmond
Hill. Adrian is a good guy to work with and has excellent product
knowledge.

For on line pre-owned equipmnet try: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/

Good Luck!
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Engineer[_2_] Engineer[_2_] is offline

On Mar 24, 6:39*pm, (Greg Grainger) wrote:
I live in Toronto, but it's been a while since I involved myself with the
purchase of new equipment. Does anybody have any reccommendations for
high-end stereo places in and around the city?

Thanks in advance,
Greg.

--
* * * * * *Greg Grainger * * * * * * * * * grainger(at)vex.net

* * *'What a world of gammon and spinach it is, though, ain't it?'
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *- Miss Mowcher

I live just north of Toronto (in Thornhill.) There's a store near us
in Richmond Hill that I used once (bough pair of Image 2B speakers
there.) IIRC, they have a high-end section with some tune amps on
demo.
Here's the URL http://www.profilecanada.com/company...chmond_Hill_ON
Disclaimer: no association with this store and I've not been back in
years.
Cheers.
Roger

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
RoninTO RoninTO is offline

On Mar 24, 6:39 pm, (Greg Grainger) wrote:
I live in Toronto, but it's been a while since I involved myself with the
purchase of new equipment. Does anybody have any reccommendations for
high-end stereo places in and around the city?

Thanks in advance,
Greg.

--
Greg Grainger grainger(at)vex.net

'What a world of gammon and spinach it is, though, ain't it?'
- Miss Mowcher

I have one more recommendation. Often the best stereo stores are the
independent stores in your local neighborhood. A store you can pop
into often to hear the latest set ups and to discuss your needs,
wants, and desires. If you live near the Yonge-Eglinton area I would
recommend Executive Stereo. It is important we support the small
independent retailers focused on great 2 channel sound. The market
has moved to MP3's and 7.1 with few retailers willing to cater to
those who want to really listen to music. Let's support those who
support us.

I have no affiliation with Executive Stereo.
Willywillhym Willywillhym is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbill View Post
Greg Grainger wrote:

I live in Toronto, but it's been a while since I involved myself with the
purchase of new equipment. Does anybody have any reccommendations for
high-end stereo places in and around the city?

Thanks in advance,

i agree that a great owner of a local
high-end audio store can be worth their
weight in gold

but they are few. otoh, Toronto is
a big place... so maybe

but what exactly are you looking for?
and what is your price range?

odds are you can get better ideas on
usenet, as well as better web prices

bill
I find audio excellence in Richmond Hill is the best choice, they are low key and they don't pressure you like the bigger stores. There price and selection is good as well, good trade in value on older equipment is a plus.
Willywillhym Willywillhym is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willywillhym View Post
I find audio excellence in Richmond Hill is the best choice, they are low key and they don't pressure you like the bigger stores. There price and selection is good as well, good trade in value on older equipment is a plus.
Audio one is also a good choice, they definitely know their stuff.
For me audio excellence is first choice, I like the home like atmosphere. The store is basically a redesigned house that is setup for selling audio. The great trade in policy makes it desirable for those that want to unload their old equipment.