John Slade

Default Looking For Waveform Search Software For Voice

I was just wondering if there is any software that can search a
waveform for a certain word. I want to be able to either record a word with
a mic or type in the word. Then have the program look for this word in a
..mp3 or .wav file. I want to use it for going through tons of talk shows I
have recorded and find a specific subject. I'm sure the intelligence
gathering agencies have this type of thing but I'm just wondering if there
is anything available to the public that can do this.

Thanks in advance,

John

Jonny Durango

perhaps you could find a voice recognition program which would pick out the
words and then just play the audio into your soundcard's input. This would
probably be much simpler than finding special software.....i forget the name
of the programming environment (four letter acronym i believe) but
microsoft's voice recognition system is VERY flexible and allows you to
basically code any kind of VR software you want using underlying
technology....good luck!

--

Jonny Durango

"Patrick was a saint. I ain't."

http://www.jdurango.com

"John Slade" wrote in message
. com...
I was just wondering if there is any software that can search a
waveform for a certain word. I want to be able to either record a word

with
a mic or type in the word. Then have the program look for this word in a
.mp3 or .wav file. I want to use it for going through tons of talk shows I
have recorded and find a specific subject. I'm sure the intelligence
gathering agencies have this type of thing but I'm just wondering if there
is anything available to the public that can do this.

Thanks in advance,

John

Arny Krueger

"John Slade" wrote in message
. com
I was just wondering if there is any software that can search a
waveform for a certain word. I want to be able to either record a
word with a mic or type in the word. Then have the program look for
this word in a .mp3 or .wav file. I want to use it for going through
tons of talk shows I have recorded and find a specific subject. I'm
sure the intelligence gathering agencies have this type of thing but
I'm just wondering if there is anything available to the public that
can do this.

I believe the technical phrase that describes what you want is:

"Speaker-independent recognition of continuous speech"

Here are papers and articles that discuss this:

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~rsingh/home...x_history.html

http://www.reed-electronics.com/ednm... =1%2F1%2F2001

http://www.lib.kth.se/Sammanfattningar/seward031217.pdf

John Slade

"Jonny Durango" wrote in message
perhaps you could find a voice recognition program which would pick out

the
words and then just play the audio into your soundcard's input. This would
probably be much simpler than finding special software.....i forget the

name
of the programming environment (four letter acronym i believe) but
microsoft's voice recognition system is VERY flexible and allows you to
basically code any kind of VR software you want using underlying
technology....good luck!

Thanks. I'll try that.

John

John Slade

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"John Slade" wrote in message
. com
I was just wondering if there is any software that can search a
waveform for a certain word. I want to be able to either record a
word with a mic or type in the word. Then have the program look for
this word in a .mp3 or .wav file. I want to use it for going through
tons of talk shows I have recorded and find a specific subject. I'm
sure the intelligence gathering agencies have this type of thing but
I'm just wondering if there is anything available to the public that
can do this.

I believe the technical phrase that describes what you want is:

"Speaker-independent recognition of continuous speech"

Here are papers and articles that discuss this:

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~rsingh/home...x_history.html

http://www.reed-electronics.com/ednm... =1%2F1%2F2001

http://www.lib.kth.se/Sammanfattningar/seward031217.pdf

Thanks. They were very informative.