Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] bayareamusician@hotmail.com is offline

Default I just got the Zoom H2

Seems pretty good. Light, small, decent build quality. All the mics
seem to work and sound OK. Don't know how often I'll use the surround
setting. I tried it with an external plug-in mic, and that's cool too.
Also tried the line-in with a Sound Devices MixPre. It's got a lot of
menu choices. I haven't read the manual yet, but usage is fairly
straightforward. Only time will tell if this thing can handle field
work. If the 1/8" line-in jack stays solid, I'll be happy. Works well
as a USB mic too.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Oh, boo! They told me I was going to get one of the very first ones
for review.

wrote:
Seems pretty good. Light, small, decent build quality. All the mics
seem to work and sound OK. Don't know how often I'll use the surround
setting.

Maybe after you read the manual you can speak more about that mic
arrangement. Can you explain the orientation of the pickup? It looks
like it has a switch to select between forward-facing and rear-facing
stereo, so that you can record something in front of you (like a
concert) or record yourself and still see the display. Do I have that
right? And is the orientation with the recorder vertical (display
upright, mics at the top)? Or when it's laying on a table? If
vertical, will it stand that way or do you have to hold or support it?

Try the surround mode. Walk around the recorder while talking and tell
us what it sounds like when listening in stereo. I suspect that it's
kind of like mono with a little imaging.

Do the buttons feel solid? Are they membrane switches as it appears
from the pictures? One of the things that I most disliked about the H4
was the controls and display. I'm hoping that it's better on the H2. I
don't need all the "musician" modes of the H4 and would like something
small and robust that I can put in a pocket or guitar case.

I'm also eagerly awaiting the release of the M-Audio replacement for
the MicroTrack. I've heard good rumors but my lips are sealed until D
day.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] bayareamusician@hotmail.com is offline

buttons. Yup, they are membrane switches on the front panel, and
IMHO they are not solid. There is no hold switch. I think it would be
very easy to accidentally hit one of those buttons, so watch out,
especially when recording.

Here are the mic choices. If you look at the picture, the modes are
from left to right.

stereo front - 90 degrees
2-ch surround - front and rear mics.
4-ch surround - stereo front and stereo rear. creates two stereo
files. You can't do 4-ch with external mics.
stereo rear - 120 degrees

There are no polar patterns indicated, so I presume these are all
cardioid. I think the internal mics sound pretty good. Just talking
into them, they're clear and not thin. I understand the release-date
delay concerned these mics, but I'm uncertain what the issues were. I
don't have a 5.1 workstation, but I don't hear any phasing putting the
two stereo files into Logic Pro.

The mics are on top, side-address. there are four small rubber feet on
the bottom to keep the unit vertical, there's also a small plastic
tripod included. the thread is compatible with a photo tripod.

For practical purposes, I would likely use the stereo rear to record
live concerts so I can see and adjust the controls. BTW, there are
various seletable limiters and auto gain. Surround would be good for
interviews or in the middle of a band or performance. The manual has a
chart showing how much demand the recording modes and sample/bit rates
have on the SD card, under the section called "SD card dropout
errors." A heavy processing load would be 24/96 stereo or 24/48
surround. You can't do 24/96 surround. I plan to use 16/48 stereo for
a light processing load. The manual says if there's a dropout error,
redo the recording (yeah, right). You can also record in MP3 at
various bit rates, which is a real light processing load and greatly
extends recording time. I won't record in MP3....the uncompressed
format is BWF.

Using an external mic applies 2.5v for plug-in power. That means for
loud concerts, an external mic that requires more than 2.5v might not
cut it. However, I wonder how much SPL the internal mics can handle.
There's a free hippy concert here Sunday, and my plan is to put this
thing to the test that day.

Other stuff (which I might not use) include a metronome, guitar tuner,
normalizing, file naming, etc. I plan to record and transfer, then
process the files on a computer. The H2 is native to Windows XP and
Vista, and Mac OSX, which I already tried as a drive and audio
interface, and that's really cool, especially as a USB mic recording
into Logic or other non-Pro Tools app.

Another cool thing: AA powered. (Hello MicroTrack owners!). The H2
also comes with a 9vdc AC adapter.

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Thanks for the info. I just nudged Zoom when I saw your message and
they said they sent the review unit to someone else for the magazine
(the one who reviewed the H4) so I guess I won't get my hands on one
real soon. Too bad. That was one that I thought I might want for
myself, but I'm not going to buy one without having some hands-on time
with it. I was tempted by teh H4 but when I got to use it for a couple
of weeks, geez, what a pain. Too bad, because it sounded pretty good.

buttons. Yup, they are membrane switches on the front panel, and
IMHO they are not solid. There is no hold switch. I think it would be
very easy to accidentally hit one of those buttons, so watch out,
especially when recording.

I guess you'll just have to learn where not to put your fingers. g
One of my worries with the H4 was that 4-way rocker button that felt
like it was going to fall off any minute. I hope they're more robust
than that.

stereo front - 90 degrees
2-ch surround - front and rear mics.
4-ch surround - stereo front and stereo rear. creates two stereo
files. You can't do 4-ch with external mics.
stereo rear - 120 degrees

I wasn't aware of that 4-channel mode. They must have had that left
over from the H4 and figured that they should use it for something.
I'd be interested to take it apart and see what's behind that grill. I
had guessed that it had two side facing mics and one omni and that
they did an M-S sort of combining in the digital domain. I'm not sure
if it would be possible to steer it front-to-back with that. Maybe
there's a front and back cardioid.

The mics are on top, side-address. there are four small rubber feet on
the bottom to keep the unit vertical

That doesn't sound very stable to me, at least without the tripod. I'd
prefer that it worked when laying flat on a table. Being able to hold
it in front of you and read the meters is good, but you shouldn't need
to watch the meters once you got the level set in the ballpark.

The manual has a
chart showing how much demand the recording modes and sample/bit rates
have on the SD card, under the section called "SD card dropout
errors." A heavy processing load would be 24/96 stereo or 24/48
surround. You can't do 24/96 surround.

I don't see much reason to use anything but 44.1 kHz sample rate with
a recorder like this, particularly with the built-in mics, and 16-bit
is probably sufficient if there's a 16-bit mode.

The manual says if there's a dropout error,
redo the recording (yeah, right).

Yeah, just like tape. g

You can also record in MP3 at
various bit rates, which is a real light processing load and greatly
extends recording time. I won't record in MP3....the uncompressed
format is BWF.

I thought that the 192 kbps or whatever it is MP3 recording on the H4
sounded OK for casual field work, and it's questionable whether I'd
use it for serious paying jobs. I'd probably use 44.1 kHz WAV mostly,
though, unless it was a jam session where I wasn't going for fidelity
or listenability, but figured that there might be a tune or song that
I'd want to learn.

Using an external mic applies 2.5v for plug-in power. That means for
loud concerts, an external mic that requires more than 2.5v might not
cut it. However, I wonder how much SPL the internal mics can handle.

The problem with the H4 was that the preamp could overload from the
internal mics even with the sensitivity switch set to its lowest
position, but it had to get uncomfortably loud. It was something you
had to be aware of, though. If you have to set the "software" gain
control below unity in order to keep the meters on scale, that means
you need to switch to a lower input gain. It was also easy to
overdrive the line inputs with a standard +4 dBu console.

There's a free hippy concert here Sunday, and my plan is to put this
thing to the test that day.

Try recording some at standard and high sample rates and see if
there's a difference. And maybe record some at a high MP3 rate.

Other stuff (which I might not use) include a metronome, guitar tuner,
normalizing, file naming, etc. I plan to record and transfer, then
process the files on a computer.

I guess the tuner and metronome are carryovers from the H4, which also
had mic simulation and a bunch of effects. File naming is pretty
useful if you do a lot of starting and stopping, or if it will be a
while before you unload it. When I had the Korg MR-1 here, I always
named the files as I recorded them. That wasn't too difficult though
you had to pick out the character with a thumb wheel and cursor, then
press the wheel to enter the character.

The H2 is native to Windows XP and
Vista, and Mac OSX, which I already tried as a drive and audio
interface, and that's really cool, especially as a USB mic recording
into Logic or other non-Pro Tools app.

What I've always wanted these things to do was have enough of an
operating system so that they could record straight to a USB device.
That way, if I was doing small or short recordings, I could use flash
memory, and if I was doing an all-day, all-weekend festival, I could
just plug in a USB disk drive. The USB microphone concept is sort of
half way there - you still need a computer and recording program. But
my crystal ball tells me that we'll be seeing what I'm looking for in
the next crop of miniature recorders.

Another cool thing: AA powered. (Hello MicroTrack owners!). The H2
also comes with a 9vdc AC adapter.

The H4 also used two AA batteries. The battery holder wasn't too good
and a couple of times when it wouldn't start up or died, I'd remove
the batteries, scrap them around a bit, put them back, and it would
again. The H4 also didn't run very long on a pair of batteries. I only
had a small memory card, so when recording WAV files, it would run out
of memory before it ran out of batteries (just half an hour) but it
would only go about 3.5 hours in the MP3 mode. Someone at PAR got a
bigger memory card for it and said that it ran barely 2 hours at
24/96, and about 2.5 hours at 24/44.1.

Keep us posted.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] bayareamusician@hotmail.com is offline

recording level to fine-tune the levels. I don't know about the noise
floor on the preamps. I haven't recorded anything quiet yet, but maybe
I'll experiment with it.

In terms of AA-powered...I think I used it for less than an hour in
record and play modes, and the meter dropped down to two bars from
three, with fresh alkalines. Maybe because I put in a new 4gb SDHC
card and record wav. The manual claims 4 hours on record and 4.5 on
playback. There's a menu item to select between alkalines and ni-mh.
I'm not sure what it does, perhaps compensates for the voltage
difference. I might use ni-mh if the H2 is a hog. Obviously it's
essential to carry spare AAs.

I hope you're all able to get a hold of the H2. Thus far, I think it's
pretty cool. Only time will tell.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Aug 29, 1:10 am, wrote:

In terms of AA-powered...I think I used it for less than an hour in
record and play modes, and the meter dropped down to two bars from
three, with fresh alkalines. Maybe because I put in a new 4gb SDHC
card and record wav. The manual claims 4 hours on record and 4.5 on
playback.

It takes more current when it's writing to memory than when it isn't.
When recording PCM, it's writing constantly so the memory is draining
the maximum amount of current. When recording MP3, it writes to memory
in spurts, so on the average it takes less current. This is why
batteries last longer with MP3 recording than with WAV recording. If
the manual or spec sheet doesn't specify the conditions under which
battery life is estimated, it's probably whatever conditions are best
for marketing, which would be MP3.

There's a menu item to select between alkalines and ni-mh.
I'm not sure what it does, perhaps compensates for the voltage
difference.

It may make an adjustment to the battery level sensor, but I suspect
tht it allows the NiMH cells to be recharged when the recorder is
connected to the power supply or USB port and blocks charging of non-
rechargeable cells.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Aug 29, 1:10 am, wrote:

I hope you're all able to get a hold of the H2. Thus far, I think it's
pretty cool. Only time will tell.

Well I'll be darned. I wasn't expecting it for a while, but the H2
showed up at the PAR office today, and all it took was buying the
executive editor lunch and I got to take it home for a few days.

You would do well to RTFM. There is indeed a function lock (hold the
Menu key for a couple of seconds). The battery type switch is, as I
suspected, a "calibration" of the battery indicator. I was a bit
disappointed to learn that it doesn't charge the battery from the AC
adapter, so when using rechargeable batteries, they have to be charged
outside the recorder. I doubt that's something that can be fixed with
a software update.

I was initially under the impression that the mics could be switched
to front or rear pickup, and from 90 to 120 degrees. Turns out that
rather than four optionsm, there are only two. The front direction is
fixed at 90 degrees and the rear direction fixed at 120 degrees. But
there's a 2-channel surround mode that's pretty cool for interviewing.
In that mode, you can stand the recorder up vertically and have one
person on each side. If they're slightly off center (the recorder is
rotated slightly if they're face-to-face) you get some left/right
separation between the interviewer and the subject.

I've only played with it for a few minutes, but it looks pretty cool.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Aug 28, 4:21 pm, Tobiah wrote:

Big question for me is, how is the noise when recording
soft sounds? Is there enough gain to record the rain at
a decent level?

At a decent level for rain, yes. At near 0 dBFS, I doubt it. We might
have some rain tomorrow. I'll let you know.

With the coarse gain switch in the high gain position and the digital
gain at 100 (it goes 0-127 and I'm guessing 100 is unity gain, but
I'll try to find out) I get peaks about -6 dBFS with a normal speaking
voice about a foot away from the built-in mics. How does that compare
with what you're using to record rain with now? (I trust this isn't a
hypothetical question)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:

I was a bit
disappointed to learn that it doesn't charge the battery from the AC
adapter, so when using rechargeable batteries, they have to be charged
outside the recorder. I doubt that's something that can be fixed with
a software update.

That is an unfortunate oversight.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Aug 31, 3:49 pm, "Dave Morrison" wrote:

Any idea if it will recharge NiMh's through the USB cable instead?

I thought of that possibility but the manual says nothing about it and
it doesn't seem to charge through that path either. I just think they
didn't include any sort of charging circuitry. And you know what else
bugs me about the batteries? There are two AA cells, side by side in
the holder. They point in opposite directions things like this
frequently do. but THE ONE ON THE LEFT HAS TH E POSITIVE END DOWN!!!
That's just counter-intuitive to me.

I picked up a 2 GB SD card today and at the moment I'm seeing how long
it will record (44.1 kHz, 16.bit WAV) on a freshly charged set of
about thee year old but not very used NiMH cells. The card will hold
just over 3 hours, so I guess if the batteries last that long, that's
OK.

Another thing, and this seems to be typical of these little recorders,
is that the line input is too sensitive. The analog input stage clips
at just below 0 dBu. I'd want to put a couple of 20 dB pads in line
with the feed from a "normal" mixer.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dave Morrison Dave Morrison is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
ups.com...

I picked up a 2 GB SD card today and at the moment I'm seeing how long
it will record (44.1 kHz, 16.bit WAV) on a freshly charged set of
about thee year old but not very used NiMH cells. The card will hold
just over 3 hours, so I guess if the batteries last that long, that's
OK.

I got one and tried it with a 2 gig card as well. I set it up with twice
with the same 44/16 settings that you used on an empty card. The first time,
I had a pair of alkalines inside and they ran out before the card filled up.
The unit luckily closed out the file as the batteries were dying. I tried it
again with a fully charged pair of NiMh's and ran it until the card filled
up (1.90 gigs, IIRC) with no problems.

Another thing, and this seems to be typical of these little recorders,
is that the line input is too sensitive. The analog input stage clips
at just below 0 dBu. I'd want to put a couple of 20 dB pads in line
with the feed from a "normal" mixer.

Haven't tried this input yet but was curious. I've heard that this is a
"PIP" powered input but can't confirm this. I'm looking for some kind of
lavalier to plug into this and be able to put the whole thing into
somebody's pocket to capture some walk-n-talk audio. Any suggestions for an
inexpensive lav for this unit?

dave

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Aug 31, 10:13 pm, "Dave Morrison" wrote:

Haven't tried this input yet but was curious. I've heard that this is a
"PIP" powered input but can't confirm this.

There's a switch in the setup menu to turn plug-in power on or off.
The three position attenuator switch works both on the internal mics
and external mic input jack (0, 10 and 24 dB of attenuation in each of
its three positions) but not on the line input jack.

A good place to look for little microphones is either on one of the
"taper" (as in people who record concerts) web sites or a couple of
companies that specialize in equipping musicians for field recording
such as Oade Brothers and Core Sound.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Randy Adamczyk Randy Adamczyk is offline

On 2007-09-01 04:13:47 +0200, "Dave Morrison" said:

Haven't tried this input yet but was curious. I've heard that this is a
"PIP" powered input but can't confirm this. I'm looking for some kind of
lavalier to plug into this and be able to put the whole thing into
somebody's pocket to capture some walk-n-talk audio. Any suggestions for an
inexpensive lav for this unit?

sony ecm-ds70p - it was about $50 a couple of years ago. i don't use it
much, but it worked great with my old sony mini disc recorder. i used
it to record running water (rain, little rivers and streams, etc).

you'd need an extension cord with a clip so you can clip it onto
someone's jacket, though. also, i'm not sure if it will work with the
h2. a lot of people use it with recorders like the iriver h320, so
maybe it will work with the zoom h2.

it is quite noisy, but you asked for inexpensive - and this one's
pretty good for 50 bucks...
randy

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

hank alrich wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote:

I was a bit
disappointed to learn that it doesn't charge the battery from the AC
adapter, so when using rechargeable batteries, they have to be
charged outside the recorder. I doubt that's something that can be
fixed with a software update.

That is an unfortunate oversight.

Naa. It's a protection mechanism against people charging alkalines.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dannon Dannon is offline

Well, my H2 arrived yesterday DOA. Tried with both batteries and AC
adapter and would not power on. I was really surprised at how light
the unit was . I almost thought they forgot to put the "guts" in it.
I called AudioMidi.com and they are issuing a RMA return receipt.

Got it for $179 total. (Labor Day sale).

Basically want to use it as a field recorder for samples. Much like
what Peter Gabriel did in a junkyard in the early 80s with his
Fairlight.

Dannon

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 23:53:30 -0700, wrote:

Seems pretty good. Light, small, decent build quality. All the mics
seem to work and sound OK. Don't know how often I'll use the surround
setting. I tried it with an external plug-in mic, and that's cool too.
Also tried the line-in with a Sound Devices MixPre. It's got a lot of
menu choices. I haven't read the manual yet, but usage is fairly
straightforward. Only time will tell if this thing can handle field
work. If the 1/8" line-in jack stays solid, I'll be happy. Works well
as a USB mic too.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Dannon wrote:
Well, my H2 arrived yesterday DOA. Tried with both batteries and AC
adapter and would not power on. I was really surprised at how light
the unit was . I almost thought they forgot to put the "guts" in it.
I called AudioMidi.com and they are issuing a RMA return receipt.

Got it for $179 total. (Labor Day sale).

Basically want to use it as a field recorder for samples. Much like
what Peter Gabriel did in a junkyard in the early 80s with his
Fairlight.

I just ordered one 'to see'.

Haven't managed to find if it can be used as a 2 x (or 4 x) multi-track
recorder in an overdub sense. Probably not....

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sep 13, 6:05 pm, "Geoff" wrote:

Haven't managed to find if it can be used as a 2 x (or 4 x) multi-track
recorder in an overdub sense. Probably not....

Nope. You can do that on the H4, not the H2. But there's some remains
of the 4-track code in the H2. One of the "surround" modes records two
stereo files simultaneously, one from the front facing mic pair, the
other from the rear facing pair.

When you play it back through the H2's headphone or line outputs, you
get a sum of the two files, but there aren't independent four outputs
so you can't play them back to four speakers on the H2. If you want to
send them to front and rear speakers, you can load the pair of files
into a multitrack DAW and play them from that.

There's a button that will convert the two stereo files into one
combined stereo file for those who can't figure out what else to do
with a recording made in that mode.

See, now you know more about what you didn't ask.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:
On Sep 13, 6:05 pm, "Geoff" wrote:

[...]

Did you write the manual or something ;-?

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sep 13, 6:54 pm, "Geoff" wrote:

Did you write the manual or something ;-?

Something. I contributed to a review so I spent a few days studying it
pretty closely.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
No Name

On Sep 13, 6:54 pm, "Geoff" wrote:

Did you write the manual or something ;-?

Something. I contributed to a review so I spent a few days studying it
pretty closely.

Where might I find this review?

Thanks,

Norm Strong

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sep 14, 12:17 pm, wrote:

Where might I find this review?

Pro Audio Review, sometime. Actually, Bruce Bartless (who reviewed the
H4 for the magazine), I think, wrote the primary review, at least he
got his hands on it before I did. I wrote the "Second opinion" without
seeing his "first opinion," just some observations about things that I
thought he might not mention. Bruce is a microphone guy so I expect he
covered the microphone coverage.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
John Lamp John Lamp is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:
Another cool thing: AA powered. (Hello MicroTrack owners!). The H2
also comes with a 9vdc AC adapter.

The H4 also used two AA batteries. The battery holder wasn't too good
and a couple of times when it wouldn't start up or died, I'd remove
the batteries, scrap them around a bit, put them back, and it would
again. The H4 also didn't run very long on a pair of batteries. I only
had a small memory card, so when recording WAV files, it would run out
of memory before it ran out of batteries (just half an hour) but it
would only go about 3.5 hours in the MP3 mode. Someone at PAR got a
bigger memory card for it and said that it ran barely 2 hours at
24/96, and about 2.5 hours at 24/44.1.

Bloody hell! My minidisk doesn't chew through a single AA that fast, and
it's spinning a disk as well as processing!

If that external power in is 9v DC, and chance of strapping a 9v
battery? What would the life of that be?

Cheers
Goaty
--
_--_|\ John Lamp - in beautiful downtown Highton
/ \ DoD#:1906 Ulysses#:10185 Vulcan Nomad

Hear no Evo, See no Evo, Fear no Evo
Posted to rec.audio.pro

hank alrich wrote:

Mike Rivers wrote:

I was a bit
disappointed to learn that it doesn't charge the battery from the AC
adapter, so when using rechargeable batteries, they have to be charged
outside the recorder. I doubt that's something that can be fixed with
a software update.

That is an unfortunate oversight.

Rechargables usually have crap battery life compared with alkaline or
lithium. I usually go with non-rechargable because of that.

Cheers
John

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Kevin T Kevin T is offline

Full long tech review at

http://www.oreillynet.com/digitalmed...der_detai.html

Lots of user feedback too

Kevin T

On Sep 14, 6:51 pm, John Lamp wrote:
hank alrich wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote:

I was a bit
disappointed to learn that it doesn't charge the battery from the AC
adapter, so when using rechargeable batteries, they have to be charged
outside the recorder. I doubt that's something that can be fixed with
a software update.

That is an unfortunate oversight.

Rechargables usually have crap battery life compared with alkaline or
lithium. I usually go with non-rechargable because of that.

Cheers
John

ZOOM 9 vs. Zoom 7.???? SSMusic[_2_] Pro Audio 0 May 28th 07 06:57 PM
i just pre-ordered the zoom h2 [email protected] Pro Audio 0 May 2nd 07 10:13 PM
Any Zoom H4 updates? jwvm Pro Audio 3 November 30th 06 04:06 PM
Zoom H-4 recorder? [email protected] Pro Audio 4 October 12th 06 01:49 AM
ZOOM 1126MRS CD Martin0028 Pro Audio 0 July 1st 03 02:53 AM